Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

some help with my new machine

hbk_life

Question

Hey guys,

so my snow bros machine finally came today, its really cool, however i have some problems. A) I cant play it, thats always a shit problem to begin with, Ive tried putting coins in the hatch but just cant seem to get any credits, and B) some of the screen appears fucked. I have taken some photos of it and thought id send it to the experts. aka all of you for some advice. I want to know how to get credits (surely theres a button) as well as your thoughts on the screen problem, could it just be related to the board? also I am wanting to purchase the xxxx in 1 KE edition for this machine, will I be able to hook it up, as well as if you can tell from the pictures, do I have a jamma plus/kick harness there for the other 2 buttons i need to put in. A huge thanks

18082009.jpg

18082009(001).jpg

18082009(002).jpg

18082009(003).jpg

18082009(004).jpg

18082009(006).jpg

11 answers to this question

nope:( first machine and only board I have, what can i do con?

in regards to playing, I got that done finally, just presssed that little red button and it gave me credits, so now my problem is the screen, im leaning towards it being the board being fucked, as it stuffs on all over the place, not just in specific areas :( anyone able to help me out?

Yes it looks like you have a fault with the board, the gfx elements are getting mixed up, this may be a RAM problem or a fault with the address bus to the RAM that contains the gfx elements, machine asks for a block of gfx code and the ram gives it something else, CPU doesnt know what is right or wrong and just works with the wrong data and draws the wrong gfx for that screen location.

It is very very faintly possible that its a voltage issue, I would think the game would fall over rather than have mild confusion in the gfx, but its worth checking, do you have a multimeter?

Yes it looks like you have a fault with the board, the gfx elements are getting mixed up, this may be a RAM problem or a fault with the address bus to the RAM that contains the gfx elements, machine asks for a block of gfx code and the ram gives it something else, CPU doesnt know what is right or wrong and just works with the wrong data and draws the wrong gfx for that screen location.

My money would be something corrupting the address bus going to one of the RAM chips.

It is very very faintly possible that its a voltage issue, I would think the game would fall over rather than have mild confusion in the gfx, but its worth checking, do you have a multimeter?

hey mate, nah dont have a multimeter, i am hoping it is the gfx on the board, because I got the machine for street fighter, not for snow bros, so as long as that doesnt have any problems (when I get it) I will be happy and will have no complaints.

Well snow bros is a popular board, you will be able to sell it easily even when faulty.

As for coin up - one of the buttons on the metal box should be coin up, hard to tell which button or switch it would be. The others would be service and or test, give em all a try.

for coin up

left hand side there is a switch that is test next to that is service that will give you service credits. also check the plugs for the nri mech are connected to both the mech and the credit board

regards to xxxin1

the cab is stereo so no issue there :)

the kick harness for buttons 5 and 6 is included with the xxxxin1

As per womble, just check those voltages, i would also try resetting the board and jamma connections, does the coin mech take the coin or is it rejected, if it takes the coin but no credit, the bit switches on the credit board could be set incorrectly, otherwise you might be able to go into test mode and set the game to free play.

I've only recently gotten into the arcade scene myself, and I can tell you from my experience - grab a cheap auto-ranging digital multimeter (I grabbed one for $39 from DSE, but I probably should have forked out a little more to get one that would be able to take full AC current :P), it'll become your best friend when testing boards or swapping PCBs. After talking to the gurus on here, I grabbed one and it now sits right next to the key to the door of my cab. I won't change PCBs unless I have the multimeter to check the voltages every time :D