Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

make holes in steel/aluminium controll panel for buttons

lien_Zed

Question

15 answers to this question

I've just recently ordered through ebay a couple of hole punches, 30mm and 24mm, from recommendations on another forum. Claims were it cut through sheet metal very nicely and better then a hole drill if there is an overlay.

The panel I'm going to punch holes have those mylar overlay, so here's hoping it's effective. Together they were like $60-70 odd so not a cheap solution.

Cheers,

Dez, Bimetal 1 1/8 holesaw from mitre 10 on charters towers road, lenox brand from the US is about 18 bucks. You will need to buy an arbor as well then later a holesaw for locks and one for joysticks knobs and you will be set up as far as arcade jobs are concerned. Thats all I have needed so far though I do have a trackball project coming up.

For hole making in arcades, you can use

Bi- Metal hole saws. Size to suit. Good for metals. Button holes, joystick holes, trackball holes. Timber will blunt these.

Hole saws. For cutting speaker holes and cable holes

Spade bits. For lock and switch holes in timber

Stepped Drill. Steps from 6 to 24 in 2mm steps.(there are bigger, but $$$) good for general hole making in light material (up to 5mm) as you drill as far as you need the size