Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

removal of paint overspray from laminate surface

lien_Zed

Question

Folks,

I have a pacman yellow lowboy cabinet im working on that i obtained from one of the fellow users here, buzzbox (thanks so much)

the cabinet has got black paint overspray on it, thats how i got it.

i have been trying to remove it with scotchbrite and turpintine...no joy.

i tired scotchbrite with brasso and it works, but i think i will be a grandfather before i finish cleaning it...

anybody got any suggestions??

9 answers to this question

well, today i started to make serious inroads in to cleaning up the yellow low boy cabinet i got from buzzbox.

it had a ton of black paint over it and this morning i started to remove it wil scotch brite and paint thinners.

after about half an hour, my hands were burning like fire... yeah no gloves.real smart.

so i went hunting to see if i could find something better to use.

i ended up grabbing a bottle of "JIF" like used to scrub bathrooms with and 30 scotch brites and my electric orbital sander....

i should have taken a photo before i started, bloody hell there was some paint to be gotten rid of...

anyhow, im almost finished one side of the cabinet. 3 hours, half a bottle of jif, 30 scotch brites later...

you can buy packs of 40 scotch brites at bunnings for just $5

certainly is scrubbing up ok.no more hands buring like fire..

Is there any laminate left on the cabinet? yikes :p

Don't these scotch brite pads leave swirl marks on your laminate? I guess the laminate is low sheen so it probably will be ok?

Interested to see before and after pics...

there is no scratches on the laminate at all from jif/scotchbrite/orbital sander!!!!

bloody magic stuff.

it has also polished the surface, im bloody amazed!

there was also a few bolts that had rust on them, so i ran the jif,scotchbite,sander over them as well... in not time they are back to a nice sparkle.

i will clean them up with paint thinners and then paint them with clear laquear.

the thinners has not even marked the laminate....

just burnt the crap out of my hands.... never again.learn from our mistakes.

i will work on the cabinet early in the morning till lunch and then form about 6pm onwards as the sun is belting in on my shed and im tanned enough as it is!

i went to bunnings this arvo and bought another 40 scotch brites for $6, will attack the cabinet again soon.

i went hunting i thought i had a photo of the cabinets in buzzbox's backyard, but cant find it....

Just a thought - have you tried Orange Solvent ?

I used it with great success in removing overspray on a pinball cabinet and a ramp.

nope.never heard of it.

i just went hunting round the house to see what i could find.

i need to get up at 6am tomorrow morning and get my son organised he is heading out of town on a AFL game so after he is gone i can attack the cabinet again for a few hours.

well i wish i had of taken before shots... just was too keen to get stuck in and get this cabinet clean.

i used to covered with black paint, Buzzbox will vouch for this.

here is some photos.the laminate is done, i need to repaint some surfaces black.

Little miss two decided to jump in on one of the photos too...

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/9615/yellowcabcleanedlaminatqx9.jpg

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/7651/yellowcabcleanedlaminatto5.jpg