WHATS IN a TEST BENCH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHATS IN a TEST BENCH

OK peeps im starting with a blank bench and an old amiga 1084s monitor and a jamma harness and powersupply and have a heap of pc powersupplys, at and atx
    i need input/pics of others benches to set mine up suggestions ect bench is 1.4 meters long 600 mm deep
    all input apreciated
    rembering im all new to this still dont realy know much about reparing boards but i want to start
    dave
    The best action is wrist action!!!!!!

thats a good start..

other things on mine are multimeter and soldering station / tools / alligator leads etc.

would like to mod the 1084s i've got to make the v hold / h hold external.
    The HillDweller

Comment

an assortment of wires, plugs, connectors, multimeter (dmm) , good lighting as well like bright fluro .

an extandable arm with magnifiying glass on it so you can line it up to a board and have your hands free to work and look thru the mag glass and work on your stuff.

some decent wire cutters, wire strippers, soldering iron (variable temp. i suggest disk smith soldering iron), "helping hands" - get these at jaycar thay hare small adjustable clamps to hold wire and you can solder the wire and also has a small magnifying glass, saftey glasses - clear - wear thses when soldering,

hope this helps
      rc forums looking for cabinet pc atx power supply for 12/5 volt for mame cabinet and turn it on
      if your new to electronics and

Comment

if you need a soldering station, jaycar has the ts1560 on special for $80. bargain price for a half decent one.

temp controlled.

rebadged hakko 936.
        The HillDweller

Comment

Ok update have a bench and made a shelf on top to put the monitor tools ect..
          I am going to makeup a jamma test jig any info on this would go well also any info on how to connect the jamma to the 1084s mabe this thread can be modified by a mod into a general hdi setup a test bench thread
          so far i have a solder station (variable temp) need a good solder sucker was thinking of useing a vacume cleaner under the bench with a foot switch for on off (im too tight to buy a propper one) need a jamma harness setup probably 2 player 3 buttons thinking of just useing the realy small red button momentry swiches from dick smiths will post a pic when the camera is charged

Comment

Originally posted by davefjedi
            (im too tight to buy a propper one) need a jamma harness setup probably 2 player 3 buttons thinking of just useing the realy small red button momentry swiches from dick smiths will post a pic when the camera is charged
            If you wanna kill more boards than fix... use a vacume, trust me.
            If you wanna be tight and fix boards then you are starting of on the wrong foot.
            If you are on a budget I recommend the GOOT desolder pumps from Jaycar, they last forever and have a good vacume volume they have two model, get the antistatic model for a few buck more.
            ALso on the budget list, desolder braid, chip puller, heat gun, EEprom programmer (willem kit will do the job for all old boards), leaded solder, solder tip cleaner, logic probe, a descent light with magnifier 10x glass is good (dont go cheap plastic lenses), JAMMA harness is but one of the MANY harness you will need to make if you plan to repair Pre-Jamma Games.
            PSU needs good power and easy adjustment for 5v.
            The above with some luck and basic knowledge and schematics will allow you to fix maybe 50% game PCB out there...

I could list so much more DROOOL
            Over the years I have use the worst and worked my way to better equipment, If you want some help just ask me.
            Always interested in Retro and Current gaming

https://www.gamedude.com.au

Comment

Id like to know more about eprom programers...

Ive been thinking of getting one soon. Which are the best models and what kind of features would you look out of ?

Comment

Originally posted by sneek
                Id like to know more about eprom programers...

Ive been thinking of getting one soon. Which are the best models and what kind of features would you look out of ?
                The best model? Thats a hard question, they are so many. Stick to something that has web support and updates.
                Cheap kit units like the willem will do the trick for most PCB from the 80's (maybe need one or two of the special adaptors for 40pin chips) I paid $100 buck for mine and the $50 for some adaptors, I use it to program PC BIOSs and EEproms (You will need a UV eraser as well BTW) My willem programmer is a few years old now but the software updates keep it up to date as much as practical and uses the LPT port.
                Newer units use the USB port and are better for use in WinXP.
                Most of them say the will support 1000's of ROM types, for arcade stuff its almost guaranteed it will be one of those chips, usually a list is provided on what is supported.
                If you have money to burn go for a USB model with Auto sensing for the type of chips inserted, has a good supply of adaptors and good web support.

Comment

eepom programmers and other cool bits

Check this out
                  http://www.darkwire.com.au/

they have cool stuff
                  im not associated with them in anyway shape or form
                  rc forums looking for cabinet pc atx power supply for 12/5 volt for mame cabinet and turn it on

Comment

ok so im makeing up my jamma spear or what ever you call them i have a powersuply and its all hooked up but it is not putting out the right voltage when i test the 5v and 12 v output with my multimeter do these things need a load on them before they start to out put or something
                    also brought some desoldering braid and a spring loaded solder sucker and a gas powered soldering iron as they were on spesh at dicksmiths 50 bucks
                    back to the power suply any thoughts i have tryed 2 and they both do the same thing

Comment

depends on your power supply. some put out bugger all till a load is applied, others if unregulated will put out slightly more voltage then stated they will... but they will all output zero volts unless plugged in and switched on

Comment

Originally posted by davefjedi
                        ok so im makeing up my jamma spear or what ever you call them i have a powersuply and its all hooked up but it is not putting out the right voltage when i test the 5v and 12 v output with my multimeter do these things need a load on them before they start to out put or something
                        also brought some desoldering braid and a spring loaded solder sucker and a gas powered soldering iron as they were on spesh at dicksmiths 50 bucks
                        back to the power suply any thoughts i have tryed 2 and they both do the same thing
                        Most powersupplies shut down with nothing connected, If you are worried that it is stuffed just plug in a dead PCB set the 5v pot to the lowest setting and turn it on.

You can also use a 1 ohm 50watt resistor, this should be roughly 5amps load on your PSU and set it from that.
                        Just a note however that you will be changing the 5v from time to time as each board draws different amounts, some more and some less... sometimes enough difference to make a board under test fail.

Also make sure the edge coinnector is thouroughly cleaned or you will find a bad connector causing problems as well (you see it every now and then on PCB with burnt edge connectors)
                        And when I say clean I dont mean with sandpaper or solder some ppl should be shot for that... I wont explain why here but I will tell you that the best way to clean an edge connector is with a plain old eraser and some isoproplyene afetr that will make it sparkle

Comment

Originally posted by GameDude
                          I wont explain why here but I will tell you that the best way to clean an edge connector is with a plain old eraser and some isoproplyene afetr that will make it sparkle

Absolutely.
                          you may find some edge connectors bloody filthy.
                          once upon a time you could buy an "ink eraser" they were grey in colour and had sand in them.this was before liquid paper came along.
                          dunno if you can get them. sometimes on realy crap surfaces you can use it first... *SPARINGLY* then use a standard white pencil eraser to clean up, then the ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL.
                          you can get the alsohol from most chemists/pharmacies if you ask.
                          they usually put you thru the third degree before selling you some and ask you all sorts of questions before they give you any.
                          i use it regularly.a 250 millilitre bottle costs me $10

Comment

Originally posted by dezrae
                            *SPARINGLY* then use a standard white pencil eraser to clean up, then the ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL.
                            you can get the alsohol from most chemists/pharmacies if you ask.
                            they usually put you thru the third degree before selling you some and ask you all sorts of questions before they give you any.
                            i use it regularly.a 250 millilitre bottle costs me $10
                            Bunnings sells it in the paint section of the shelf no questions asked. I have seen it there a few times (Underwood Store)

Comment

awseome!!!
                              thanks.next time im in bunnings i will check it out.
                              im getting tired of the chemists round here thinking im a terriost or something

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X