Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Coke on pbcs.

staceyamusements

Question

Hi Fellas.

Last night i had a game night at my place.Me and the boys got into the classics and also we where drinking.One of my mates got a little drunk and tip over a bottle of coke on four of my pcbs.I am not happy.But accidents do happen.He is {still}my best mate.I have quickly clean them up and have not tested them for fear of short circuiting them.I will test in a few days when the pcbs are dry.

These are the pcbs effected.

Konami Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Midway NBA Hangtime

Konami Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IN TIME

Taito Twin Cobra.

I just was wondering if i should clean them properly in a paticuliar way and with what liquid.

This has never happen to me before.

Also would the effected pcbs survive the coke spillage.

I thank you for any help,George.

19 answers to this question

• Super Moderator
One of my mates got a little drunk and tip over a bottle of coke.

Imagine if he had beer, and not just coke - think of the damage he might have done then..!

:rolleyes

• Super Moderator
Vinegar should neutralise the acid. (mixed with water) Never tried it but read it somewhere else. You then rinse the vinegar off .

PCB's on Coke well thats another story

A PCB on Coke would be called 'Circus Charlie' perhaps..?

Vinegar should neutralise the acid. (mixed with water) Never tried it but read it somewhere else. You then rinse the vinegar off .

PCB's on Coke well thats another story

Forgive my HSC chemistry, but...how would vinegar (an acid) neutralise coke (another acid). Acid + Acid = Acid. Adding an alkaline would neutralise it, but the acidic component has probably oxidised by now, leaving you with a sugary goop (that we all love so much...yummy) ie caramel.

Anyways, a contact cleaner spray will fix it.

Except for the Twin Cobra. I am afraid that that one is fucked so just post it to me and i'll dispose of it for you :badgrin

Forgive my HSC chemistry, but...how would vinegar (an acid) neutralise coke (another acid). Acid + Acid = Acid. Adding an alkaline would neutralise it, but the acidic component has probably oxidised by now, leaving you with a sugary goop (that we all love so much...yummy) ie caramel.

Anyways, a contact cleaner spray will fix it.

Except for the Twin Cobra. I am afraid that that one is fucked so just post it to me and i'll dispose of it for you :badgrin

Sorry was thinking corrosion

Battery Corrosion and Connectors.

If there are battery corrosion problems, these card edge IDC connectors just magnify the problem (and sometimes allow the leaking battery electrolyte to travel thru the connectors to other boards!). Inspect the connectors and board edge "fingers". If corrosion is visible on the board, clean the edge fingers by lightly sanding the corrosion with 220 grit sand paper to remove it. After the corrosion is removed, wash the circuit board in a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water. Use an old toothbrush to wash the board with the vinegar mix. Then rinse the board with clean water. Finally rinse the board with 99% alcohol, and allow it to air dry.

DO NOT USE TAP WATER TO WASH CIRCUIT BOARDS WITH!!!!!:018:

Go to the supermarket and buy yourself 4 litre of Demineralised water.

Its the same stuff you put in the lead/acid batterys in your car.

Wash the circuit boards with it.

Tap water has to many chemicals in it.

you may also have to srub it clean with a toothbrush.you can buy these in packs for 5 for just 2bucks at macro warehouse.

you can blow dry with an air compressor and leave it sit somewhere in a cool dry place for at least 24 hours, better 48 hours before you try and put power any where near it.

Thanks fellas for your input.Will let you know my outcome with the pcbs.

Will be cleaning after i get back from my shift tonight.

Will post the outcome in 48 hrs.

If the pcbs dont fire up and dont work correctly i will then list them on ebay as non working pcbs.

Im crossing my fingers that all will be alright.

Madmike there still may be a chance of a twin cobra for yaa.