Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Cocktail Cab transformer

Ric

Question

In the neverending quest to get my cocktail cab going, i have reached the point where I am finishinmg up the wiring.

I have decided that it should have a power switch and have pulled one out of an old PC power supply.

I cut the wires leaving the filter so that one end goes into the switch and the ones going from the switch go into the transformer (which power the monitor) and then loop back to go to the swtiching power supply

Everything is nicely hooked up and I begin to test continuity.

i am getting continuity between the "hot" AC and "neutral" AC when the switch is on and across the poles of the transformer where the AC lines go into.

the wires themselves are completely seprated and not touching.

my spidey sense says this is wrong and before I apply power, i thought i should ask the experts.

is my transformer shorted? I am unsrue why as the screen has always powered up in the past.

cheers

Ric

2 answers to this question

That should be right as a transormer is made up of a large amount of wire between the active and netural that will should some resistance, take a reading on nthe ohms scale.

How ever if you are not trained or liscenced to to do this work and are not sure seek professional advice before going any further.

Disclaimer

This is advise only and is not a recommendation and take no responsibilty for the commenst made above. Remember 240v will kil.

i really wanted to make sure as I dont to fry anything, most of all me.

i just thought it odd that i have contiunity between the hot and neutral AC lines, parituclarly once the switch is on and there is complete continuity

I am aware of the caveats with playing with electricty

i have been zapped too many time - hence i triple check everything.

Ric