Anything to do with repairs.

X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daytona 4 speed shifter conversion?

Hi Everyone, after almost getting my Chewlix complete, (just waiting on some parts) I decided I wanted to setup a racing Cabinet.
    It is going to run off a xbox 360 as I had one already and it has great arcade ports like crazy taxi, daytona, sega rally online and outrun 2 as well as the modern xbox games like forza motorsport, and the Dirt series.
    I am setting it up to have high compatability as well as (hopefully) feeling genuine to as many racing styles as I can.
    EG: for Rally I have a sequential shifter and high raised handbrake to the left of the wheel.
    for Regular cars I have a 5 speed and hand brake setup beside the seat.

And to the point of this post I have bought a Sega 4 speed shifter that will be setup to the right of the wheel for Crazy taxi and daytona.
    The issue I have arrived at is that in the arcade version of the games the gear is selected by the switch being held down, but in the ports it is selected by a button press then release.
    I was trying to figure out how to make it so that it is a button press but the shifter holds in place, (and I prefer that, I don't want it to return to centre)
    A few thought I have had, the first was trying to see if there was a switch or button that would send a signal when a switch is depressed and then stop even if the switch is not released. but I think that that would require a micro controller or relays or other things I don't know about.
    the second option I considered was adding springs to push the shifter enough away from the micros switches so that they deactivate but not enough to return the sifter to the centre.

anyone have any ideas that I might not have even considered.
    Thanks guys
    Reuben

I think you are saying you have a Daytona shifter that has the micros on continuosly when the gear is selected but your console only requires a momentary pulse to activate that gear?

To do it electronically you need a circuit called a "one shot".

There is a chip I would use called a 4093 to do this job. It will take any of the 4 inputs as a continuious signal and provide a single pulse clean signal.

You can get it from Jaycar, it will do all 4 inputs, are cheap and easy to get it working, can run on 3 to 15vDC and features Schmitt-trigger inputs so you will definately get good clean outputs compatiable with your console...

Here is the data sheet.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/medias/sys...aSheetMain.pdf

Go down to Typical Applications and look at
    Negative-Edge Triggered

OR

Positive-Edge Triggered

Comment

thanks a lot will look thru it

Comment

I'm way out of my depth here LOL.
        from the diagram am I right in that the outputs are J, K L M and inputs are A-F but apart from that I don't understand the circuit diagrams at all..... do I need to get any extra components other than this chip?
        just for clarification, it will need 4 inputs that are converted into a single pulse. but I need 4 outputs as well so that the console knows what one is being triggered.

and yes you are right I will be collecting the input from the shifter either position 1-4 and I need that to be converted to a pulse signal that can be seen as a press of a button 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by Reuben View Post
          I'm way out of my depth here LOL.
          from the diagram am I right in that the outputs are J, K L M and inputs are A-F but apart from that I don't understand the circuit diagrams at all..... do I need to get any extra components other than this chip?
          just for clarification, it will need 4 inputs that are converted into a single pulse. but I need 4 outputs as well so that the console knows what one is being triggered.

and yes you are right I will be collecting the input from the shifter either position 1-4 and I need that to be converted to a pulse signal that can be seen as a press of a button 1-4
          Can you solder?..Can you read an electronic diagram, not the data about the chip. I can do that but if I draw out the circuit can you make it?.

You'll be doing about 20 solder joints.

Comment

I can solder. Doubt I can read an electronic diagram unless it was explained to me. Would you mind drawing the circuit up and I will see if anyone I know could help me make it. That would be highly appreciated. Otherwise is there a website you suggest so I can learn how to read the circuit?
            thanks for taking your time to help a noon out.
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Just remembered my gf dad knows all about this stuff, he will be able to help if I had the circuit diagram. Thanks

Comment

Just remembered my gf dad knows all about this stuff, he will be able to help if I had the circuit diagram. Thanks
                OK, sounds like we can do this. A couple of questions....

The buttons to select the gear at present is on the 360 controller isn't it?. Can you tell me what the buttons are and what they control as they are on the controller and do these gear select buttons change from game to game or can you change what button does what in the games settings.

Are you relocating all the controller buttons onto your cabinet or just the gearshifter buttons?.

Comment

At the moment they are off a fanatec steering wheel. I have already wired up 4 rca socket connectors on the side of the wheel (A,B,X,Y) for easy connection and customisation. And they work I have tested them with a arcade button connected. So I have the earth and live connection for each of them.
                  I also can change the buttons in the game settings, except for crazy taxi, so I was going to set it up as.
                  (A) (X)
                  ​​​​(B) (Y)

1 3
                  2 4

I am also going to relocate the back, start and dpad but they dont need to be one shot.
                  Thanks

Comment

At the moment they are off a fanatec steering wheel. I have already wired up 4 rca socket connectors on the side of the wheel (A,B,X,Y) for easy connection and customisation. And they work I have tested them with a arcade button connected. So I have the earth and live connection for each of them.
                    I also can change the buttons in the game settings, except for crazy taxi, so I was going to set it up as.
                    (A) (X)
                    ​​​​(B) (Y)

1 3
                    2 4

I am also going to relocate the back, start and dpad but they dont need to be one shot.
                    Thanks
                    Been thinking about this. Can you attach another micro switch in each gate of the shifter?. One micro mounted on the back of the original and that way you can set the extra micro to open the circuit just after the first micro has made it.

The electronic solution is still an alternative but you may need to swap around resistor and capicitor values to fine tune it for you application.

Comment

I'm not sure what you are asking... Actually I know what you are asking (I think) but I am unsure how that works, how does the second micro only send a pulse, why won't it just replicate the first micro?
                      thanks for all this BTW

Comment

Oh I think I get it!
                        so the first micro switch is depressed first closing the circuit then the second switch is depressed and breaks the connection? I guess I need 4 normally closed micro switchs then

Comment

Oh I think I get it!
                          so the first micro switch is depressed first closing the circuit then the second switch is depressed and breaks the connection? I guess I need 4 normally closed micro switchs then
                          One micro is wired NO (normally open) and the second is wired NC (normally closed) and both switches are wired in series with each other...The NO switch has to work slightly faster than the NC does so when the NO switch comes on, for a spit second the NC switch is still closed as well.
                          When the NC switch finally opens, that breaks the circuit again.

To check you have the micros set right...meter on continuity......... wire to each lead and see what happens. You should get a quick pulse on your meter.

Comment

OK, got it. Thanks a lot will see how it goes and if I can setup the extra micro switchs in the gate to work.

Comment

ok so fitting extra micro switches was going to be a pain, even more so that it had to be mm perfect for it to work, so I looked at adding springs to the existing microswitches, found some springs that could have worked out of some pens. but that was going to be fiddly.
                              Then I had a idea. admittedly its a common mod for logitech 5 speed shifters but it looks like it will work.
                              All I'll do is add an elastic band around the shaft and fix it to the sides of the shifter box. this will make the shifter want to return to the centre and disengage the microswitches. I can adjust it easily with different elastic tension so that it just disengages the switch and does not return to complete centre

Example Click image for larger version  Name:	download.jfif Views:	0 Size:	12.9 KB ID:	2206374

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X