Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

LAI cabinet refurbishment

gsuttor

Question

Hey all you experienced peeps, especially those that have this cabinet (I've seen some on here) as this is my first cabinet refurbishment attempt I would like to ask some questions before I start at it with a crowbar to get it open.

I went to take the back panel off like you usually would to gain full access inside. But... no access screws!

I removed what appear to be some wooden 'slider rails', for transporting in the back of a ute/truck on it's back I assume, hoping to find hidden screws, but they are just rails fixed to the back panel.

It seems to be attached from the inside with no indication of external access.

Cleaned_outside.thumb.JPG.76b81db1bde110e1030f1a5051241d87.JPG Back_Rails.thumb.JPG.fd1668757c5ca3cbccf30784844c24b7.JPG Back_LAI_Plate.thumb.JPG.cd9478e057795e3ef1066ca56a068a5c.JPG Back_Bottom.thumb.JPG.a16d256cbf37faa70970e3f1d9322882.JPG Under_Wheels.thumb.JPG.0268b5674cefc3f8779cc12f363e9b8e.JPG

I also unscrewed to top panel hoping to lift it off but again it would not budge with considerable lifting force (by hand)

Top.thumb.JPG.37bef9a629859a842a8d607236c35318.JPG

So the next thing was could I get in from the front to see if there are any internal latches.

There is a lock for the front panel access door but no key! You can see someone has attempted to gain access in the past at the front. Maybe I have to pick it through that cut or something?

Attempted_Access.thumb.JPG.faaef7dedf671dc7826f4da946d3fe46.JPG

The control panel was not latched so at least I could look down inside. It seems to have a PCB already installed and all the necessary cabling and power but I don't want to fire it up until I can gain access to clean and check everything.

Looking_Down_through_control_Panel.thumb.JPG.0e54eb364e738189ba79f92cc8d6f4cd.JPG Screen.thumb.JPG.8ceef7d80109a985c79956b6c1ca1cf5.JPG

I'm going to have another go tomorrow morning at being nice with it, then I'm gonna get hard and heavy with that front lock.

EDIT: Been informed the back doesn't come off it's all form the front. Considering the space in there that sounds.... tight!

My side art came today (local print shop can do EVERYTHING!) ~$45 each side. Application was super simple. I did have to cut them out with a razor knife though, quite tedious.

SideArtStickers.thumb.JPG.bee09df06620cac036e23c586c94f9da.JPG

SideArt2.thumb.JPG.ba4e645c8f8beb2d21371096a271d2fd.JPG

Ohh... and a new high score :)

TG_Leaderboard.jpg.d2a0ee269965f77296c0bd8b604b0340.jpg

• Like 9

Those locks are very easy to pick, you just need a bent pin and a needle and about 10 minutes. You can drill them out but that makes a mess of hot metal shards.

I suspect the main access for this cab is through the front, the roof looks like the other way in if you need to get to the monitor, not sure why it is stuck though.

• Like 1

Hand down inside through the control panel hole and undo nut that holds the lock tab in place on the lock. Remove the nut, lock washer and lastly the tab and the front door will open.

Back doesn't open. That is why the monitor adjustment pots are on a board with a cable connected.

• Like 1

Bingo, I'm in. It wasn't even locked, just there was no way to grip it easily from the outside, I just tapped it open from the inside. These things are build like tanks!

I can't believe this has no rear access though, it's so crowded up front. The only way I'm gonna clean the dust is an air compressor blowing it everywhere, if there was rear access I could at least direct it. Anyway...

So my initial mission with this cabinet is to clean, safety check, power on to confirm functionality of components and if all looks good, plug in my working Rygar PCB and close it up until I want to do more. I.e. Replace joysticks and buttons.

So my next question is mainly around power safety issues. This thing has been sitting in a container for possibly 25+ years (considering the board is Pit Fighter ~1990).

So I have no idea of the condition of the PSU, transformer and whatever this long metal casing is? (seems to have multiple power outputs so maybe a power board?).

I'm not even going to consider plugging it into the wall and powering up until I'm certain it's safe.

Can you see any potential issue here?

Powerboard.thumb.JPG.d5db1c82ac0b61b1e60531db9ed1c09c.JPG Back_of_powerbord.thumb.JPG.5aa542dbb48e0d0b6893d4f11772a508.JPG

What steps should I take prior to powering up, and what steps after to test.

Here is my current thoughts.

1. Disconnect PCB JAMMA harness to ensure the board, even if I don't care for it, is not damaged.

2. Lightly tug on all wire connections to ensure they are firmly attached.

3. Test for earthing continuity? I.e. neutral connection points to long metal powerboard cover where all those earths are connected?

4. Visually inspect and test fuse for continuity.

5. Unplug mains (bottom of picture) and test continuity on active/neutral/earth to plug contact)

Am I being to paranoid? If at any point I don't get a good test result I'll probably have a sparky look at it.

All going well...

5. Power on at wall socket and check for smell/smoke (burny bits! 😰)

6. Visually inspect for power to CRT, PSU (don't even know if it has a power light)

7. If no power maybe replace fuse and repeat otherwise get a sparky in.

8. If power turn off and plug in PCB.

9. Check out control panel functionality etc.

10. Turn off and throw in the Rygar PCB.

11. Close up and play my friend play! �

Am I missing any crucial steps? Obviously at any point if I get a bad test result I'll probably get a sparky in. $$$ 😢

A few more pics of the CRT/Chassis, I think up top it seems to be in pretty good condition.

CRT_Chasis.thumb.JPG.820f58d44f5c86401b1262be1b4254f5.JPG CRT_Neck.thumb.JPG.58299463be54fde58db9fb3b7faba9e5.JPG CRT_RGB.thumb.JPG.d9b739e17ac0ed576dcfbbfbfba1f145.JPG

Using a multimeter I get continuity form the AC connectors in the PSU to the prongs on the power plug.

I then plugged it in and tested the +5v, -5v, +12v and got readings but they were all under by almost a volt so I turned it up slightly then got nothing.

Turning off power and back on got my readings back again but as soon as I turn the power up (little red knob) it failed again. I did this a few times to verify.

Can I assume the PSU is faulty?

The power to the CRT chassis comes straight out of the transformer I believe (pink wires), but also there is no power to the CRT so how do I test this better?

There is also purples wires coming directly off mains up to the fluorescent tube in the marquee. The tube is blown.

So I'm thinking if I replace the fluorescent tube in the marquee and it comes on then the mains power is fine, and it's the PSU or transformer that is cactus.

Do these assumptions sound correct?

PowerSetup.thumb.JPG.f7cfc68694ecee340bb091a2e3aee3ce.JPG CRT_Chasis.thumb.JPG.17da24a6478b8f78ea59fbf84bf21e09.JPG

Also am I to assume these ceramic (?) insulators are to somehow regulate heat?

insulators.png.2f30cc42e2b7a56d417eea1ca43cbe5f.png

Off to Bunnings to get a new tube for the marquee.

insulators.png.cffa05f11992469af3c871f47db20df0.png

Edited by gsuttor

Ok got a new $7.70 fluro and watched a couple of videos. I get now that those white thing down below next to the transformer is the Electrical Ballast for the fluro and the starter next to it, so I'm assuming it's hooked up correctly and I just need to replace the fluro.

Since the wiring was already installed, I'm assuming it was done correctly.

Brown (active) and Purple (neutral from starter?) on the left, and two Purple on the right.

Fluro_Left.thumb.JPG.73b6f670db1bf748ba37f0992f142567.JPG Fluro_Right.thumb.JPG.75644406aa2c7fc955444b7b98a704df.JPG

Upon replacing and powering up my fluro is super dim at both ends.

Fluro_Dim.thumb.JPG.cc14207517be64d1d998fa70ac2c5591.JPG

Is there a very specific way to hook these up? I tried the active at the top and bottom on the right hand side with the same result.

Haven't tried switching the purples on the other side yet though.

My gut feeling is that it's just not getting the juice it needs, so does this point to the power board down below do you think?

I think the fluro is not hooked up to the PSU or transformer, it comes straight out of the metal power box.

Fluro_Dim.thumb.JPG.6ae88ffa8f0d1af316bad124dfae95ef.JPG

Ok got a new $7.70 fluro and watched a couple of videos. I get now that those white thing down below next to the transformer is the Electrical Ballast for the fluro and the starter next to it, so I'm assuming it's hooked up correctly and I just need to replace the fluro.

Since the wiring was already installed, I'm assuming it was done correctly.

Brown (active) and Purple (neutral from starter?) on the left, and two Purple on the right.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":2179184}[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":2179185}[/ATTACH]

Upon replacing and powering up my fluro is super dim at both ends.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":2179187}[/ATTACH]

Is there a very specific way to hook these up? I tried the active at the top and bottom on the right hand side with the same result.

Haven't tried switching the purples on the other side yet though.

My gut feeling is that it's just not getting the juice it needs, so does this point to the power board down below do you think?

I think the fluro is not hooked up to the PSU or transformer, it comes straight out of the metal power box.

Replace the starter.

• Like 1

Yep, starter I would say too. Put a load on the 5vDC, an old car tail light bulb and socket is idea as you can put it either way around. It matters naught the bulb is 12volt and the power supply output your loading is 5vDC. All you want is a decent load and that will fully power up the power supply and allow you to adjust it. Don't go over board getting dead on 5vDC as this is just testing the power supply, you'll "tune" the 5vDC properly when the game board is in place.
  • Like 1

I’ll put the board that came with the cab back in and test the +5v and +12v again as have no spare car light and don’t care much for the PCB. The fact multiple components feel like they aren’t getting power troubles me.

Any thoughts on the pink wires out of the transformer going the the CRT chassis?

I hear the high pitch of the power going on in the cab (or is it the CRT?) but the CRT display doesn’t seem to power up, like not even a blank glow.

Put the PCB back and tested voltages.

+12v reading as +12.05

+5v reading as +5.02

-5v reading as approx. -4.8 (Not sure why it's low, probably because not being used by the PCB right?)

These are good right?

There are lights on the PCB but no sound on speakers (tested continuity) or image/glow at all on the CRT.

So the last part is the damn CRT.

I definitely hear some kind of low level hum, but I think that's the speakers. No glow on the neck like they show on YouTube videos so..... :unsure

Any suggestions?

I was thinking maybe my next step is get one of these and attach to an LCD to see if the game board is working?

But that's $40 and a trip to Springwood on Monday just to see if the board is working and then what do I do with it? Unless I put in an LCD.

But I want the CRT working! :(

VGA_converter.png.64dbcd38c1ae882bc792e0aa1107e386.png

Edited by gsuttor

This Joey (JOMAC) guy I'm reading about all over the forum that fixes CRT's, he is in Perth.

How much is it to send a CRT to Perth and back? Are there any local repairers in Brisbane that will work on them (house calls?).

I'm at the point if this thing cannot be fixed I just want someone to take it off my hands so I can go in another direction.

• Like 1

You don't send the entire monitor, just the chassis that powers the tube. If the tube is fine (90% of the time they are) the chassis is the only thing that needs repairing. If the neck of the tube is intact and there is no obvious damage that would mean the tube is stuffed, I would pull the chassis and send it to Joey.

The tube not getting neck glow could be because the chassis has blown the main fuse. There will be no power going to the tube if that is the case.

Gonna be honest, and I hope I don't get pulled over the purity coals for it, but I'm going to re-cycle it and go for an 4:3 aspect LCD solution.

I know that probably doesn't seem perfect for authenticity but the peace of mind I personally feel with it out of the way lifts a heavy weight I was feeling about safety.

I'll leave all the support framework in place in case I or someone in the future wants to put the CRT back in.

Edited by gsuttor

Gonna be honest, and I hope I don't get pulled over the purity coals for it, but I'm going to re-cycle it and go for an 4:3 aspect LCD solution.

I know that probably doesn't seem perfect for authenticity but the peace of mind I personally feel with it out of the way lifts a heavy weight I was feeling about safety.

I'll leave all the support framework in place in case I or someone in the future wants to put a CRT back in.

Your cab, your call. However, someone will likely want that monitor, so don't toss it in the bin :)

If you ever want a crash course in CRT safety and adjustment, hit me up. I am always happy to help people learn more about monitors.

I got the RGB to VGA converter working and the "Pit Fighter" board in the cabinet fired up and was playable (It really is a crap fighting game)

Working-pit-fighter1.thumb.JPG.1a811d5700e65e41e823889f22dac11f.JPG

So I figured it was time to try my Rygar board. Low and behold the harness and/or adapter does not fit with the one installed in the cabinet. :o

Is this cabinet harness JAMMA or some hybrid?

Tehkan-to-JAMMA-adapter2.thumb.JPG.f1d851c00ab63bad832d8d6662a0abf8.JPG

So the RYGAR PCB came with a custom made harness (someone is a clever cookie) and the end connector is exactly the same as the Tehkan to JAMMA adapter I pre-bought before the PCB.

Custom-harness-parts-video.thumb.JPG.13e4dbf81c6a838289cae02cb202af97.JPG Custom-harness-JAMMA-connector.thumb.JPG.58b9cae861c31feab9161e8509fc0b0a.JPG

So what's the next move? Do I have to rip out the whole cabinet wiring and put in JAMMA or is there some intermediary adapter?

If Pit Fighter is standard JAMMA pinout, and the harness created for it works on this cabinet.

Could I just plug the Rygar JAMMA connector (fingerboard) end into the Pit Fighter parts connector then that fingerboard into the cabinet connector where it fits?

Chances of damaging the PCB are? :unsure

Tehkan to JAMMA (fingerboard) ---> plug into ---> Pit Fighter JAMMA (parts connector) then fingerboard ---> plug into ---> cabinet connector.

This is the harness (is that the correct term?) from the Pit Fighter PCB. The right hand end fits the cabinet connector, but what are these dipswitches in the middle?

Weird-connector-from-pitfighter.thumb.JPG.a03949afcc7c041ac4fae7469dfdc55a.JPG

You could just get an adapter to go to jamma

Not sure what you mean can you give more info?

I have two Tehkan to JAMMA adapters (see previous replies), one custom made by previous owner and other a bought part from PCB Junkie.

Since the custom one is already installed (and soldered at RGB connectors) I figure I'll keep it there.

Custom-harness-rgb-soldered.thumb.JPG.a77d0452ff5027d942e49ecdb36f9a63.JPG

Do you mean an adapter for JAMMA to whatever this cabinet connector is? down here.

Tehkan-to-JAMMA-adapter2.thumb.JPG.e06c7e37754886820b644d5dfb97e36e.JPG

That would be ideal, but I have no clue about the cabinet connection (bottom) in the image, just that it is smaller than JAMMA and the Pit Fighter harness works in it.

Thanks for replying b tw, I'm checking this thread so often at the moment hoping for some answers. :)

Fortune favours the bold I guess. It worked and the board is running BUT.... missing background graphics.

Rygar-bo-background.thumb.JPG.9022c1df039198f11d4ae1d3a4e69868.JPG

So I was reading one of the other Rygar board repair threads and they talked about SRAM chip replacements fixing graphics problems. Is this the case here?

The game seems to be working fine except for the background.

Is there anyone in Brisbane I can take the board for repair. Could also send off it off somewhere I guess.

Uhh ohh... after soak testing the board (leaving on on for a few hours) I went down to find this sprite issue. :o

Graphics_corruption.thumb.JPG.eddddff5c7d68b87d029ad9f9855aca1.JPG

VIDEO:

Then on a restart with approx. 1min wait it was worse and seems to be stuck like this.

VIDEO:

Super disappointing as it was actually fully playable, I gather the SRAM chips are failing but why? Age/sudden use?