Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, I now have a Pandora knockoff, now what?

Collapse

Anything to do with repairs.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, I now have a Pandora knockoff, now what?

So I built my upright cab with a CRT for mame on a PC. I thought ahead and wired it with a jamma harness. A couple of questions though. Even as I put them in originally, I knew wiring in PC speakers might be a problem. Having a look at it, I have a two speaker, one bass PC speaker jobbie. Sound goes from the PC to the bass speaker. Then the left speaker is still wired directly to the bass speaker as per how it came out of the box. But the right one is connected through the jamma harness via a jpac. I can't remember why i.did this. . I seem to recall that PC speakers tend to be a different impedance to arcade speakers. Now the good news is that there is an audio output jack on this Pandora.

so my first question is can I just plug my PC speakers into that audio output jack? I guess I would have to cut the right speaker wires that are going into the jamma harness.

Next involves the power. The instructions give values for 12v and 5v. I think I have individual supplies of the right minimum amperage. I can wire those to the jamma harness I imagine. But if you look at the photo there is a power socket on the right.

So second question is that an alternative to jamma power input? Or is it just auxiliary for those USB sockets on the left or summink? The instructions don't say.
    Attached Files
    Danny Galaga- the man with no signature...

Originally posted by danny_galaga View Post
    so my first question is can I just plug my PC speakers into that audio output jack?
    I can help you with the first question. Yes you can. That's what the Pandoras audio jack is for, external speakers.

I too had a spare normal pc 2.1 Logitech system lying around so used it for this purpose. The speakers fit perfectly at head height with my little pacman and the sub is sitting inside the box. As you mentioned the main plug comes from the sub box which plugs into the pandoras box audio jack. The left & right speakers are plugged into the sub box. Lucky for me mine also had a remote volume control so I've fed this through to the corner of my panel to control volume without having to open up the cab.

- The universe is made up of protons, electrons, neutrons and morons.

- I'm not superstitious... just a little stitious

Comment

Both questions are yes. Plug the speakers in to the 3.5mm jack and yep, that's the power for the board.

Comment

Originally posted by spacies View Post
        Both questions are yes. Plug the speakers in to the 3.5mm jack and yep, that's the power for the board.
        So the power in on the Pandora is 5v? Is that for if you are just using an LCD screen? I've mucked arou d with mame for over 15 years but never looked at arcade stuff much. I'm guessing you need to get 12v electronics for the crt side?

Comment

Yay! It works! Had a bit of head scratching at first. To start with, my P1 P2 and coin buttons are touch buttons under the glass. I forgot about the fact they got power from the jpac. Moved the wires to the 5v jamma harness side. All good. Next was that none of the other buttons were working but found out from another thread here you need to cut 27 on the he harness and reconnect to 28.

Now I'm stuck on how to actually select a game when I want! At the moment I insert a coin and then wait for the timer. If I want to get out of the game I gotta wait three minutes. Everything points to a mysterious A button which I thought would be button 1 (as in the fire button) but that doesn't seem.to do anything.

Anyway, I'm sure the answer will hit me eventually 😄

Edit: fire is definitely the A button because I can now select a game. Still can't get out of the game though 🤣

Edit: last piece of the puzzle. I changed the settings to 'menu exit' and now I can!

Also just discovered I can remove crappy/unwanted games from the menu. So I can reduce the number of street fighter games from one gazillion to about four

Mind you, still can't play sf because the last two buttons aren't wired on my jamma harness. Will fix some other time. It's time to pack up and have dinner
          Last edited by danny_galaga; 18 October 2020, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma View Post

I can help you with the first question. Yes you can. That's what the Pandoras audio jack is for, external speakers.

I too had a spare normal pc 2.1 Logitech system lying around so used it for this purpose. The speakers fit perfectly at head height with my little pacman and the sub is sitting inside the box. As you mentioned the main plug comes from the sub box which plugs into the pandoras box audio jack. The left & right speakers are plugged into the sub box. Lucky for me mine also had a remote volume control so I've fed this through to the corner of my panel to control volume without having to open up the cab.

Yeah my PC speakers are similar. I run the little remote volume out the bottom to one side. Not as handy as your position. But discreet and you can still adjust volume without too much hassle 🙂

Comment

Originally posted by danny_galaga View Post
              Next was that none of the other buttons were working but found out from another thread here you need to cut 27 on the he harness and reconnect to 28.
              Yes dragonlee told me about pin 27 and another thread mentioned something about pandora's box using Chamma not Jamma. My Jamma harness was wired for a Games Family but PB uses slightly different wiring to Jamma. If you're useless and not up to changing the wiring around like me, I ended up buying this adapter: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chamma-t...72.m2749.l2649. Plugged it in and worked first go. Actually that's a lie. hotty warned me about the notch and first time I plugged it in I thought I took special note of the notch, but still managed to put it in the reverse way. Lucky I didn't fry anything. So I took it out and reversed it and now it works fine.
              - The universe is made up of protons, electrons, neutrons and morons.

- I'm not superstitious... just a little stitious

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
              Working...
              X