Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Sealing Chipboard on cocktail cabinet

Ric

Question

Hey there

I have an LAI cocktail cab with one whole side being exposed chipboard. it appears this is original since the LAI plate is bolted to the bear chipboard.

However it is flaking off in parts.

is there a way to seal it?

Can I use wood lacquer or something like triple thick even?

Any help appreciated

Ric

8 answers to this question

Once chip board starts to go bad, there is really nothing that you can do about it. I would suggest trying to get the area as dry as possible either by using a hair-dryer or putting it out in the sun and then sealing it with acrylic paint

Never needed to do it, but I've heard diluted wood glue works pretty well. I guess you would dilute it with a type of thinner / metho? and brush it on

Nope, you dilute it with water. I remember making papier mache with my brother as a kid (made a landscape to race our matchbox cars on). I used diluted wood glue and he used it straight. Because the diluted stuff was really thin it soaked in and protected the paper whereas the straight stuff just sat on the surface. We'd left them outside for a few weeks and they got rained on. Mine survived, his didn't.

Personaly I'd use a few thin coast of exterior lacquer. Really thin coats, especially the first, so it doesn't soak in and swell the timber even more.

As Berty said though, once it starts it hard to stop. Chipboard cancer!

It might be simpler to remove the damaged panel and use it as a template to make a new one. Other options may be to sand it back with a belt sander, fill it with auto body filler and cover it with some adhesive vinyl. The LAI cocktials were covered in a black vinyl.

it is not super flakey

but if i gets scraped wood does come off and I noticed it after i clipped a light to the side to allow me to work inside (an ongoing battle of wills between me AC power and the inards of the cocktail.

I am thinking I will go the wood lacquer option - will it matter if it is oil or water based? If i can use oil there are some spray ones you can use (yay)

I would like to keep the wood grain and more importantly the plate

Thanks for the thoughts

it is not super flakey

but if i gets scraped wood does come off and I noticed it after i clipped a light to the side to allow me to work inside (an ongoing battle of wills between me AC power and the inards of the cocktail.

I am thinking I will go the wood lacquer option - will it matter if it is oil or water based? If i can use oil there are some spray ones you can use (yay)

I would like to keep the wood grain and more importantly the plate

Thanks for the thoughts

I agree with the watered down PVA idea - it works really well to seal MDF and it should do the same with particleboard (chipboard).

As per RetroGame's suggestion, rub it back to flatten it off a bit, then fill any low spots with auto body filler.

Sand it down again then seal it with watered down PVA and give it a very light sand once that is dry and you should have a surface that can be painted with acrylic or some other water based paint. Alternatively you could relaminate it and the adhesive would have a good surface to key into.

Cheers,

Chris