Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Where's Mr. Du! gone!!!

Foot

Question

• Super Moderator

Ah crap, I've got a Mr. Du! (yes Du, not Do or Doh) and he's vanished from the game, along with a few other characters

If you can make out the snap (yes the screen needs degassing I think) you can see only one baddy, but Mr Du is there somewhere along with another baddy. The apples above the cherries aren't there either.

[ATTACH]1136[/ATTACH]

I remember reading of this happening in other games but can't remember where or what the fault was.

Any Ideas?? :unsure

Foot

• Super Moderator
First thing, try re-seating your EPROMS.

Is this the technical term for pulling them out cleaning them and putting em back in?

Now where did I put that deguassing wand... That's right I don't have one yet AGHHHHHH!!!

Foot

• Super Moderator
First thing, try re-seating your EPROMS.

I cleaned and re-seated everything and nothings changed. Would the fault indicate that one of them is shagged or something completely different?

Foot

I cleaned and re-seated everything and nothings changed. Would the fault indicate that one of them is shagged or something completely different?

Foot

Either or both.

It could be a sprite RAM issue...or the writes arent getting to the RAM...or the RAM info isnt getting to the color prom...or the color prom is shagged...or...

• Super Moderator

Ok, I've run the self check on the game and it comes up clean. What maybe a possible cause for missing sprites is the following J306X chips look pretty ordinary and they seem to have something to do with sprite generation.

[ATTACH]1180[/ATTACH]

Numbers on the chip are J306X TBP 185030N. There is a bit of corrosion on the pins and one appears to be soldered.

Two other similar ones are in the same condition. These appear to have something to do with contrast/ brightness of the display?

[ATTACH]1181[/ATTACH]

Very blurry, numbers are MB 7051 6251 C44

Are replacements available for these chips? and if so where could I track them down?

Foot

OK.

T2 and U2 are both 74S288 (off the schematic) these are indeed equal to the MB7051. These are the color proms.

E10 is also a 74S288. It looks to be doing something with color (possibly for the character set aka playfield). Looking at your pic, the leftmost solder on RA3 looks dodgy. Judging by the thicker trace leading to it, I'd say that pin is 'common' and a bad solder there would cause the whole array to not work.

• Super Moderator

I'll check that RA3 connection tonight.

I'm still trying to find a supplier for the other chips to replace them.(ideas?)

And, Should any chips anywhere one the board run warm/ hot? if so, what's and acceptable temp range, if not what's a likely cause?

Foot

The chips that you are referring to are all proms and yes they normally run hotter than other IC's. They are prone to carbon build up and corrosion, you should remove them from their sockets and clean the legs. But be very careful because the legs will be weak, I normally use either a scotchbrite pad or fine sandpaper to clean them. Make sure if you remove them that you put them back into the same socket that you removed them from as they have code programmed into them and won't work in other positions or on other games.

If you need a replacement try http://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?action=search&category=Components&subcategory=PROMs

• Super Moderator

I rechecked all the soldering on the board and touched up a couple of areas. Didn't change anything. :(

Re the PROMs: I'm not too keen on removing these suckers as I can see that they may have already had broken legs previously and they have been resoldered. Hence the search for replacements. I have emailed mikes arcade and am waiting a response.

On the degaussing issue... Last night I was tiding the wiring up in the cab and thought things would be much tidier if the monitor was rotated 180. This would also allow me to alter the colour pots if needed (they were facing the back of the cab)

So I rotated it and replugged the monitor to alter the orientation and what do you know!! Colours are now all mickey duck!!! :D

Just goes to show you never can tell what will fix these issues

Foot

• Super Moderator

Below is the reply I got from Mikes Arcade:

Hello,

We can do it if you have the code dumps of those chips. I don't have them on hand. You'd need to order:

4 PROM82S123 chips with programming. Then send us the images named as you'd like them labeled.

Best,

- Mike -

Ok, my question (even if it's silly) is where would I get the code dumps from?

Foot

• Super Moderator

I told you it was a silly question!

Keep this up and I will have to taunt you.... what the hell, I will anyway

I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! You mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

• Super Moderator

Ok, look, Although I may very well get hammered I'm going to have another crack at this.

Let's pretend I know jack shit about this (stop it...)

If, for arguments sake I had the MAME Rom for Mr. Du!, which wouldn't be illegal since I've got the PCB(?), how would I go about getting the code for each of the chips I require from the rom as requested by 'Mike'? :unsure

Please don't make me taunt you again like this......

"How you English say, 'I one more time, mac, unclog my nose in your direction', sons of a window-dresser! So, you think you could out-clever us French folk with your silly knees-bent running about advancing behavior?! I wave my private parts at your aunties, you cheesy lot of second hand electric donkey-bottom biters."

I thank you in advance for your sincere response

Foot

Ok, look, Although I may very well get hammered I'm going to have another crack at this.

Let's pretend I know jack shit about this (stop it...)

If, for arguments sake I had the MAME Rom for Mr. Du!, which wouldn't be illegal since I've got the PCB(?), how would I go about getting the code for each of the chips I require from the rom as requested by 'Mike'? :unsure

Please don't make me taunt you again like this......

"How you English say, 'I one more time, mac, unclog my nose in your direction', sons of a window-dresser! So, you think you could out-clever us French folk with your silly knees-bent running about advancing behavior?! I wave my private parts at your aunties, you cheesy lot of second hand electric donkey-bottom biters."

I thank you in advance for your sincere response

Foot

ok download the romSET, then extract the zip and each eprom is represented in the zip.

Now I was having a lend of Mike not you. :)

Below is the reply I got from Mikes Arcade:

Hello,

We can do it if you have the code dumps of those chips. I don't have them on hand. You'd need to order:

4 PROM82S123 chips with programming. Then send us the images named as you'd like them labeled.

Best,

- Mike -

Ok, my question (even if it's silly) is where would I get the code dumps from?

Foot

Foot, if you want you can send me your proms and I'll test them for you to see if they are ok. I do have a very limited supply of blank proms, so I can program you a new set if needed. Unfortunately, these proms are now obsolete and are hard to find and expensive.

Regards,

JWG.

Yep. The link I gave before has these files...

d1 8192 3dcd9359 mrdu

d2 8192 710058d8 mrdu

d3 8192 467d12d8 mrdu

du4.bin 8192 893bc218 mrdu

du9.bin 4096 4090dcdc mrdu

du10.bin 4096 1e63ab69 mrdu

r8-08.bin 4096 dbdc9ffa mrdo

n8-07.bin 4096 4b9973db mrdo

h5-05.bin 4096 e1218cc5 mrdo

k5-06.bin 4096 b1f68b04 mrdo

u02--2.bin 32 238a65d7 mrdo

t02--3.bin 32 ae263dc0 mrdo

f10--1.bin 32 16ee4ca2 mrdo

j10--4.bin 32 ff7fe284 mrdo

The 32 byte ones are the proms...and if isnt painfully obvious, the names tell you the positions.

========================

EDIT

Sorry, just noticed that the proms are in the parent set Mr Do, available here...http://romhustler.net/download/mame/2706