X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jpac to Arcade speakers

Hi All.
    Need help!!!
    Got my Jpac working on my candy cab but want to hook sound up to the cabinet speakers and not use pc speakers..

I've tried going from the jack from the jpac using an old stripped headpone straight to the cab's speakers, it works but very soft, have to put an ear to speaker to hear it!.

I guess I need to wire it in to where the cabinets speaker volume controls are but I'm not sure where to put the wires (both left and right) Attached is the back of the speaker controls!
    Help is greatly appreciated!

PS the Xbox is connected via an adapter to the Jpac so would prefer to keep stereo..

If you are only using a Jpac you won't have the 12v to run the amp built into the cab (not sure about candy cabs) the jpac only supplies 5v. You will need some sought of amp (cheap pc one) between the headphone jack and jpac speaker input (these run through the Jamma wiring) ..
    sigpic

Comment

I ended up not being bothered to connect the sound from the J-pac in my cab... I went from the line out on my PC to the speakers and mine too was soft. I tried some Jaycar inline amp's powered by the PC's 12v, but my skills at electronics suck, so I had an awesome feedback and crackle fest going on. Ended up buying a $50 set of PC speakers with stereo satellites that plug in seperately to a sub woofer, which in turn has a wired remote control. Stuck the remote on the top right side of the cab and didnt even connect up the supplied satellites - wired the cab's speakers into the input on the sub. I get a HUGE clean sound from it now!

Comment

Dkong - Not sure what you mean on where to run the amp, in this picture (see attached) this is where the output is, how putting an amp on the imput helps? sorry bit confused

Sutekh - Interesting, but that might be my last resort, I want everything inside the cab, which is pretty crowed now with 3 different Boards (Neo Geo / Atomiswave / CPSII).

It seems the Jpac is a bit of a let down with the Audio. I had originall a Time Master Xobx to Jamma, worked really great, slightly better picture from it than the Jpac and Audio went through the standard Jamma connecter, problem was couldn't configure the buttons so was useless for mame (couldn't emulate the back button to insert coins!)

Comment

Funny.. I was searching the internet for the answer to that just yesterday.
          Felt like working my OK Baby MAME cabinet again.
          What type of candy cab is yours?

I was hoping this one has a built in amp because it goes from the Jamma harness into some plugs in the cabinet then out again to the speakers.
          Anyone here knows if it does?

Comment

Originally posted by Steven
            Funny.. I was searching the internet for the answer to that just yesterday.
            Felt like working my OK Baby MAME cabinet again.
            What type of candy cab is yours?

I was hoping this one has a built in amp because it goes from the Jamma harness into some plugs in the cabinet then out again to the speakers.
            Anyone here knows if it does?

I was thinking the same thing.. Mine is an Sammy Atomiswave cabinet, thought it would have an amp in it?

Comment

I just use the standard cab speaker and a $5 amps from Jaycar with a Sb16 pci sound card ...But if you get the old ISA Sb16 sound card you can get away with out using the amp .Its not as load as the amp but is still playable

Comment

If you just want to use the cabinet speakers, you could wire in one of these. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/7W-7W-STEREO-...QQcmdZViewItem
                WANTED

Another Holiday

Comment

The problem I have is I'm not running from a PC, thus can't use a pc card, it's coming from an Xbox!

Humpalot that might be all I need, just need to get a 12v source somewhere, hopefully the cab it self has 12 volts coming out somewhere

Comment

hey Savage, as you know I've got the same cab as you but I really don't have any intention of playing anything but mame on it so I went the pc speaker route. I bought a Altec Lansing 2.1 set up on eBay for maybe $100 or so (can't remember??). The two speakers were almost identical in size to the original so just wired them in to replace the original and chucked the sub inside the cab. The speaker package has great sound and the sub inside makes the whole cab shake especially when you pump a credit on a game like Rygar!!! It also has a remote that I just have sitting on the control panel for quick and easy access. I'm very happy but then again I'd have no sound if I went back to a pcb not that I can see that happening anyway.
                    Man cannot live with just one pinball.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shock_And_Awe
                      hey Savage, as you know I've got the same cab as you but I really don't have any intention of playing anything but mame on it so I went the pc speaker route. I bought a Altec Lansing 2.1 set up on eBay for maybe $100 or so (can't remember??). The two speakers were almost identical in size to the original so just wired them in to replace the original and chucked the sub inside the cab. The speaker package has great sound and the sub inside makes the whole cab shake especially when you pump a credit on a game like Rygar!!! It also has a remote that I just have sitting on the control panel for quick and easy access. I'm very happy but then again I'd have no sound if I went back to a pcb not that I can see that happening anyway.

I might end up doing this, it seems you and Sutekh have a similar setup.
                      I might look for the smallest amp / sub setup, hopefully I can wire in the existing speakers cables from the cab so it too can use the speakers and sub?

Comment

The screw terminals labelled speaker on the J-Pac go to the JAMMA harness and therefore to the speakers in the cab. You need to get a cheap ass set of $10/$20 speakers that plug into their own power source and volume control (and therefore amp), rip them apart and run the wires to the terminals on the J-Pac. I'm assuming an X-Box has a headphone/speaker jack similar to a PC or discman etc. though. IE. X-Box headphone jack to speaker amp to J-Pac terminals.

Alternatively you get one of those cheap amps mentioned earlier and wire it between the X-Box and J-PAC, does exactly the same thing only if you use PC speakers you'll already have the cable, volume controls and power whereas most of the amps are just the pcb which you have to wire/power yourself.

This way the cab stays standard and nothing extra needs to be wired into it.
                        Bite my shiny metal ass!

Comment

And remember. The JAMMA standard is for MONO sound not stereo (even though they usually have 2 speakers). Games that have stereo sound usually have the sound wired seperate to the JAMMA harness or wired into the harness specifically for that game (ie. will work with the PCB the cab was designed for but not others).

With my own cab I didn't use the J-PAC specifically for this reason as I wanted stereo from MAME. My speakers were wired into the cab using a Molex connector so I simply wired my cheap PC speaker amp to another Molex connector and when changing between PC/J-PAC and PCB changed the Molex connector for the sound as well.
                          Bite my shiny metal ass!

Comment

Yeah cool..
                            As in my second attachment there's a audio out for the xbox...

I'll think I'll do this, as I want stereo from Xbox still.

Buy a cheap PC speaker 2.1 set up. have the audio out from Xbox into amp. Have the output of the amp wire into the existing speakers, or replace depending which are better.

Question is.. If i do it this way, will when playing an arcade Board (not mame) and having the amp on still (with built in sub) , will it play through the sub??

Comment

Originally posted by Savage
                              Question is.. If i do it this way, will when playing an arcade Board (not mame) and having the amp on still (with built in sub) , will it play through the sub??
                              I wouldn't thinks so as you don't have the amp between the PCB/JAMMA harness and the sub/speakers. The sub will only operate when the amp has something coming into it and with the setup you mentioned only the X-Box will be on the input side of the amp.
                              Bite my shiny metal ass!

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X