Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Keyboard Encoder Help

Jomac

Question

Hey Guys ,

Have been working a PC conversion kit for CD Juke boxes , but need a Keyboard encoder for only 4 switch inputs.

Have made a couple now by pulling apart old keyboards but this looks unprofessional .

All the encoders I have seen around the place cost about as much as 5 new keyboards .

Do any of you guys know of a very basic encoder that will give us 4 standard switch inputs to USB or PS2 , or can someone here make something that will do the job ?

We only need to activate F1 , F2 , F3 and F4

Jomac

PS , I have never played with anything mame related so most of this is new to me.

7 answers to this question

Those KBXX units are probably the answer.

They get heavily criticised on the BYOAC forums because they suffer from ghosted inputs like a keyboard does. They're no good for MAME games that use more than 1 fire button because of this. But for a jukebox project, they'd be perfect. Definitely cheaper than any of the RISC-processor driven keyboard encoders.

Those KBXX units are probably the answer.

They get heavily criticised on the BYOAC forums because they suffer from ghosted inputs like a keyboard does. They're no good for MAME games that use more than 1 fire button because of this. But for a jukebox project, they'd be perfect. Definitely cheaper than any of the RISC-processor driven keyboard encoders.

they have actualy fixed the ghosting issues on the new ones they have out

I have used these and and an IPAC for my mame machines and jukebox. If you are just going on cost KeyWiz wins hands down. Make sure you pay the extra $2 for the "no solder version"