Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Point Blank 1 & 2 Colours missing

Grimlock

Question

Hi all I finally just plugged in my PB1 & 2 pcbs and have noticed colours missing.

PB1 is missing red

PB2 is only showing green

Now I know people will start mentioning about adjustments on CRT but the interesting thing is when I plug in my wonderboy and arpicade the colours are back to normal.

I have tried the PB boards on my two different arcades and they do the same thing so I have definitely ruled out the CRT's.

Before I received them @bwodie showed me photos and a video of the working with full colour.

So, if this has happened during transit I do not know where to go from here. Any help would greatly appreciated, and if I have to go down the pcb repair road I will do that too if someone on here does it

Thanks,

Darren

IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2053.jpg

14 answers to this question

Way ahead of you @Holy-SNES I have already cleaned the board pins, but cabnet connectors are fine on both arcades and as stated ,these boards do the same colour incorrection on both cabs, but show full colour on my arpicade and wonderboy pcb's on both cabs..

So I have narrowed down that is isn't jamma or cabs ;)

Hmm, its just very strange that both boards are missing colours given that they were working recently. The odds of two working boards both contracting the exact same fault within a span of a week or so is extremely low.

Have you tried plugging just the main board in without anything else connected (guns, I/O board etc)?

I know that Point blank 1 has some RAM in the output stages that are quite voltage sensitive ( over voltage sensitive ) , EG: anything over 5.20v and they seem to fail yet I have seen the same RAM on other boards of no value that I put up to 5.5v to test my theory and they seem to survive , so not really sure what it is that makes these same RAM fail on point blank but I have repaired a lot of them.

In this case ignore what voltage your power supply showing , your only concern is the voltage on the board edge connector.

The 3 RAM in question are marked in the pic attached, a quick test is to lick your finger and run it along the pins on each of these 3 IC's , if you see any colours flash up on the screen you have found the faulty RAM ( open circuit inputs or outputs ), They are SMD so don't attempt changing them if you don't know what you are doing.

It's a been a few months since I did one so can't remember the part number but most likely 65256 ( 256K )

PointBlank.pcb.jpg

Just to update everyone, the ram chip trick did not work, damn great idea though

There are three SMD transistors (one for each color) in SOT-23 package used as final RGB output stage to bring video level to standard impedance.They are near the JAMMA edge, they are probaby faulty or missing.Replace them all.

@caius All sorted buddy, I sent them to Joey for repair... Quote from him

"Point Blank 1 , had a blown NPN Red colour drive transistor and melted the trace under it , the point blank 2 as your really blew the driver transistor to bits along with all the traces around it , that was also the red but the blue was also blown but no damage under it, this game use much higher rated drivers yet two were blown so hope this wasn't caused by something in your cabinet , but I think I recall you saying you had tried other games and they were all good so shouldn't be an issue anymore.

If the outputs are blown badly then the game was plugged into a cabinet that is missing the isolation transformer on the monitor. Some monitors don't require an iso but if you replace the monitor with an older one you must install an isolation transformer. If not, you'll fry the video and sync outputs on the game boards you plug in.

If the outputs are blown badly then the game was plugged into a cabinet that is missing the isolation transformer on the monitor. Some monitors don't require an iso but if you replace the monitor with an older one you must install an isolation transformer. If not, you'll fry the video and sync outputs on the game boards you plug in.

Definitely has the iso transformer and running 100%, I have checked everything and have run through the whole cab with not a trace of anything problematic. ;)

Definitely has the iso transformer and running 100%, I have checked everything and have run through the whole cab with not a trace of anything problematic. ;)

@caius All sorted buddy, I sent them to Joey for repair... Quote from him

"Point Blank 1 , had a blown NPN Red colour drive transistor and melted the trace under it , the point blank 2 as your really blew the driver transistor to bits along with all the traces around it , that was also the red but the blue was also blown but no damage under it, this game use much higher rated drivers yet two were blown so hope this wasn't caused by something in your cabinet , but I think I recall you saying you had tried other games and they were all good so shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Indeed, as I pointed, the final video output transistors were bad :)