Collapse

Anything to do with repairs.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atari Space Race Reproduction PCB

I'm currently doing a 1:1 reproduction of Atari's Space Race PCB and one part of the schematic has me a bit confused.
    Three chips have the inputs tied together but nothing is controlling these inputs (they are floating) which doesn't seem right. Is it possible there is an error in the schematic or a missing net label or is this okay and why?
    Link to complete schematic here...
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ed...mAmzcD0Gjs-Q-I

Last edited by Kaizen; 12 August 2019, 06:00 PM.
    Namco Starblade - Taito Cocktail 14" x 3, 20" x 2 - NZ SI PtII Upright - Chase HQ DX, Taito Top Speed - Taito Grand Champion - Taito Safari - LAI SI Head to Head Cocktail - SI Cocktail Clone x 2, Pong Clone x 3

Looks a bit strange to me. My guess is that the will need to be tied Hi. This will allow the NAND gates to work H1 and D4 and also sets NOR gate F3 to a low output. Setting the NAND gates HIGH lets the Flip Flop F4 to toggle those gates. Having said this, I have had a bit of wine and could be totally wrong, Its only logical

Comment

After pouring over some the few images available of the PCBs that I could find, I traced it back to pin 15 of E5 on the left .

Last edited by Kaizen; 23 August 2019, 07:37 PM.
      Namco Starblade - Taito Cocktail 14" x 3, 20" x 2 - NZ SI PtII Upright - Chase HQ DX, Taito Top Speed - Taito Grand Champion - Taito Safari - LAI SI Head to Head Cocktail - SI Cocktail Clone x 2, Pong Clone x 3

Comment

Ha ha... good find! Faded schematics... ahh.. the source of much confusion.

Comment

I'm thinking it's more of an error in the drawing (not just one), another error that had me scratching my head was a 7404 gate that had the input labeled 9 and the output labeled 4.

After checking the PCB images I confirmed it should be a 3 and not a 9.

The same IC was labeled E2 instead of E3 in another section of the schematic.

E2 is a 9316... PCB images also confirm E2 is a 16 pin package.

Some progress has been made creating net names for the components but it's been hectic the last few weeks and I've only done about 30% so far.

After this PCB I'm thinking of doing a Donkey Kong TKG4 2 board set repro.

Comment

You should use newer chips where possible.

9316 is very hard to find but the compatible 74161 is still easily available.

- - - Updated - - -

Instead of a 9312, perhaps a 74151 - but that one has a different pinout.

Comment

[MENTION=2995]Kaizen[/MENTION] top work mate

You're a bloody technical maniac for this!

Brad
              My Projects - Space Invaders Bartop, Williams A-Go-Go, Galaxian Bartop, Jukebox Kiosk 1&2, Jukebox Kiosk 3, Virtual Minipin, Generic Upright, MultiCab, Rampage,

Comment

Originally posted by channelmaniac View Post
                You should use newer chips where possible.

9316 is very hard to find but the compatible 74161 is still easily available.

- - - Updated - - -

Instead of a 9312, perhaps a 74151 - but that one has a different pinout.
                93xx chips are substituted for 74xx when assembling the PCB and pinouts are rearranged where necessary.

Comment

Progress update, about 30% of the board layout is done.

I have an image of the top layer from the manual though it's from revision 'G' and there are some differences to the revision 'F' schematic I'm working off.

This is the image I'm working off for the bottom layer.

If I can get it working I'll build a cabinet for it...

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                  Working...
                  X