No announcement yet.

Atari Pong PCB Reproduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCB layout done and checked for errors, boards ordered and should arrive in a few days.
    I build one up and debug if necessary before doing a small run of boards.

Last edited by Kaizen; 29th July 2019, 03:50 PM.
    Namco Starblade - Taito Cocktail 14" x 3, 20" x 2 - NZ SI PtII Upright - Chase HQ DX, Taito Top Speed - Taito Grand Champion - Taito Safari - LAI SI Head to Head Cocktail - SI Cocktail Clone x 2, Pong Clone x 3

Comment

That's quite a project! Looking forward to seeing the end product.

Not meaning to nitpick, but if you want to go over it and tweak it a little, I'd suggest ensuring all traces are at 45 degree angles where applicable.
      SEGA love: | Nintendo love:
      PC Engine love: | Latest retro finds:

Comment

Originally posted by Frank_fjs View Post
        That's quite a project! Looking forward to seeing the end product.

Not meaning to nitpick, but if you want to go over it and tweak it a little, I'd suggest ensuring all traces are at 45 degree angles where applicable.
        The original PCB had curved traces on the top layer so I tried to copy that but for the next revision I want to do I'll definitely follow your suggestion.
        I plan to do a revision which will use LS IC's and have some of the bugs in the original game fixed.
        Another thing I want to do is make a version that displays correctly on PAL TV's, I have no idea how to do this at the moment so any suggestions would be appreciated.
        Namco Starblade - Taito Cocktail 14" x 3, 20" x 2 - NZ SI PtII Upright - Chase HQ DX, Taito Top Speed - Taito Grand Champion - Taito Safari - LAI SI Head to Head Cocktail - SI Cocktail Clone x 2, Pong Clone x 3

Comment

Oh that's fine, I was more referring to:

Look extreme bottom right, green layer, count back two vias / holes, see that green trace that runs upwards and to the left? That isn't optimal at that odd angle, should route it along the lines of go straight up from bottom hole for a short length, then angle back 45 degrees to upper hole.

Comment

From what I understand there was more than one person working on the layout for the PCB and it looks like whoever did the top layer liked to use curves where the trace above is pretty much the only curve on the bottom layer.

The JLCPCB Gerber Viewer certainly didn't like the curves, the board should print correctly though.

Comment

Oh wow, okay.

Comment

There's a lot of those odd angle traces where two pins on opposite side of a chip are joined point to point, I guess that's just how they did it back in the day.

Comment

I guess there's no harm.

I just can't do it that way, it bugs me too much.

Comment

Boards arrived today...

Comment

That's bloody awesome. Get soldering my good man.

Comment

PCB assembled, debugged, tested and fully working.

https://youtu.be/RX7FrGTXduE

Comment

That's awesome ! Its great to see a result like this after all the time and effort that goes into a project like this ! Well Done

Comment

Sensational!

Comment

Amazing work Adam! Talk about king of PONG!

Thanks for sharing mate.

Comment

A mate in the US has been helping me tweak the PCB, he's just had the boards arrive from the latest revision and they look awesome.

He's currently assembling the board and if there's no errors I'll put an order through with JLCPCB.
                                If anyone wants a PCB let me know via PM.

I finally managed to find an original PCB, turns out Kev from kfe.com.au had one but it looks like it has the Super Pong mod done (four directional analogue joysticks).
                                I'll document the mods before returning it back to original.

Last edited by Kaizen; 21st September 2019, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                                Working...
                                X