Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Candy cab appreciation thread. I want candy!

Hey guys,

Heaps of amazing collections of pinball and arcade are displayed on this forum every day. I love checking out people's collections and some of my favourite arcade cabs are Japanese candy cabs. I have spent a while putting together my collection and have seen a few others post pictures of theirs over the years. So the point of this thread is simple. Show me your candy! I will start by tagging @SpudJones to post his, as I know he has a decent lineup. I will also tag @Andyj965, but that would mean he'd have to clean his garage and turn his machines on for a photo :) A photo of my current lineup is below with an outline of what runs on each cab. Let's appreciate some candy!

IMG_20180105_192424.thumb.jpg.0d6f92698d1573740a141d25d61eeaa5.jpg

From right to left in the image.

Namco Exceleena - Running GroovyMAME at 15khz for vertical games, mainly Japanese SHMUPS. Has a Jomac Sharp Image dual res chassis and a TV tube. This was the first candy cab I ever bought and still my favourite.

Sammy Atomiswave - Running GroovyMAME at 15khz for horizontal games. Has a Jomac Sharp Image dual res chassis and a TV tube. The original monitor had a dead yoke, so sadly, does not have the tri-res auto switching functionality.

Sammy Atomiswave - Running Atomsiwave motherboard with Knights of Valour: The Seven Spirits. This one is all original with the original monitor, gets a beautiful image, even though the Wei-Ya is considered to be the cheap, bastard cousin of tri-res, auto syncing monitors.

Sega Astro City - Running Raiden Fighters. Has the original Nanao MS9 monitor.

Sega Astro City - Running Neo Geo with Puzzle Bobble. Has the original Nanao MS9 monitor.

Sega Lindbergh - Running a Taito Type X II with a multi-hdd. I mainly use it for Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition.

Sega Naomi Universal - Running Strikers 1945 II. It's got a 31k, VGA Nanao MS2932 in it. The cab was originally JVS wired, but has had a JAMMA harness installed alongside. The 15khz Strikers board runs through a VGA converter. I have a PC ready to put into this cab to run Demul to emulate Naomi SHMUPS, I just need to get off my ass and install it.

Right, onto other candy cab collections. Post your setups and let's talk candy!

• Like 2

Candy

6DC36862-4049-4698-96EC-C78523544D1B.thumb.jpg.aa61db76087091ea43e6e684dc3dcd24.jpg

Only the two candies at my place.. a nice pair of egret 2 though. The horizontal has a switcher with sf2ce, sf2ww, Superman, asterix, dynasty wars and psychic force. The vertical has a switcher with Raiden 2, Raiden dx, Raiden Fighters, Raiden Fighters 2, galaga and a 60 in 1.

• Like 2

[ATTACH=CONFIG]122277[/ATTACH]

Only the two candies at my place.. a nice pair of egret 2 though. The horizontal has a switcher with sf2ce, sf2ww, Superman, asterix, dynasty wars and psychic force. The vertical has a switcher with Raiden 2, Raiden dx, Raiden Fighters, Raiden Fighters 2, galaga and a 60 in 1.

How does the picture go switching between boards and which switcher are you using?

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

Hi

I got one 6 in 1 switcher from RiddledTV (Jim) on Klov. He did mods for grounding, -5 and service sw. I also got a 3/4 player condenser board from him and some DuPont cables and jamma extenders etc for a 6 in 1 4-player project I’m working on. I got the other off gumtree. I also bought some nomotes from dogp on klov who sent them to Jim for me. Jim installed one on the switcher I got from him and sent the lot over to me. Holy-snes here on AA installed the the other switcher’s nomote for me (cheers mate).

The nomote has a couple of great functions... first up it removes the remote (which are a bitch as when you have more than one switcher it changes all in range as they run on the same frequency) .. it allows you to assign button/s to switch between slots/boards at your discretion (eg. I selected start buttons for both player 1 and 2 to be held down for three whole seconds to trigger the switcher to change slots. It only powers one slot on the switcher at a time so the other slots aren’t chewing power and also lets you bypass empty slots if needed. It works great

I hope my rambling explanation helps lol

- - - Updated - - -

Got the second switcher off gumtree.. can’t say off the top of my head which brand specifically for the switchers but happy to check when I get back from my hols down the coast .. cheers

I hope you don't mind me posting this here.

I have no idea about Candy cabs but have been offered this.

It is empty inside and has no monitors.

Any idea how much it would be worth? I have been told its an original Sega versus cab. Its like 2 joined together.

Once again soz if I should of put this in the price check section.

47866879_Segavscab.thumb.jpg.72ee8a0311a6e7099b066df1c4f4f77c.jpg

Inside

29447861_Segavscabinside.thumb.jpg.5700030071d5142c086ef335fa6b0a20.jpg

Cheers.

It would take a lot of money to get it up and running again. The two monitors alone would cost between $550 or so for a pair of Jomac chassis and TV tubes. If you wanted to track down two, good condition Nanao 29 inch monitors, it would cost even more.

I wouldn't pay much for it, as it would be a pain in the ass to get running again.

• 1 month later...
Saw one of those Top Star cabs for sale recently. I'd never seen one before, they are really stylish looking cabs and very compact. I'd snap one up if it appeared locally. How is it finding parts for them?

I guess you're local in Sydney then?

I sold the spare just over a week ago.

I've been doing my own metal work and fixing it up. Converted CP to 2p and currently working on a front door.

Door needs a small trim :D

20171112_152018.thumb.jpg.9a1a594c16f9df952e81d529ffaff3a0.jpg20171112_151140.thumb.jpg.2073c51da595cc6e8bdf9949baade6fd.jpg

20180127_214253.thumb.jpg.d6a28d957de2fbbe9b350d031cf34303.jpg20180219_221442.thumb.jpg.d0522b433ccaa0c53a40f0976159a2c3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

It's a great little cab for sure!. Never heard of them either. The only thing I managed to find was this video on youtube running a knockoff mortal kombat clone that actually looks really decent.

When I got them, they were set up to run a taito type X2 system back to back with street fighter 4. They were missing panels and gutted when I got them.

May even respray mine with the blood red with black trim like the video. Looks kickass

Sent from my SM-G925I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

[ATTACH]122413[/ATTACH][ATTACH]122414[/ATTACH]

I've only just joined and only just started my collection. I have a astro city 2 cab running a Pandora's 4 till I get a mame PC in it and I have a Sega versus cabinet with soul calibur 3 running on Namco 256. Cab has Tekken 5 card readers aswell

[/url]

Jelly of that Soul Calibur 3. I have SC2 and been hunting for 3 for a good 2 years now XD

Nice work. Joey's a champion. He's been keeping my machines alive over the years.

Some beautiful cabs on here!

I've just kept the one machine, still going strong

20180228_111942.thumb.jpg.f574ed1d68e8305219b152c24496f09c.jpg

Hi @OsirusANZ . Nice Cab. Looks like the speakers inside the OEM speaker box are different to original. Would be interested to know what they were if you put them in there. How do they sound? cheers

Nice work. Joey's a champion. He's been keeping my machines alive over the years.

Yes, if I didn't have Joey, I would have a whole bunch of machines that don't work. He has either provided a new chassis, or serviced the existing chassis in every machine that I own. I have a spare 29 inch Nanao MS-2931 stashed away and also a 29 inch TV that can be paired with a Jomac chassis. I don't have room to stash anymore, but we all need to have some preparation going for the tubepocalypse where we can't get any more tubes. That time is rapidly approaching.

It is kerbside collection in my area currently. Instead of seeing old CRTs, I am now seeing old LCDS and plasmas dumped on kerbside.

I have a spare 29 inch Nanao MS-2931 stashed away

Same. I was given an MS9-29A with a Toshiba tube for free.

Joey has fixed the chassis and I'm not sure if the tube is ok yet.. I haven't installed since I need to make a harness for the MS9 to fit my astro city.

The tube also doesn't have a frame, so for me to test it safely, I'd have to take out my current tube and swap it around.

The only fault I can see with the tube physically is it has a chip or two at the front of the tube.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Some beautiful cabs on here!

I've just kept the one machine, still going strong

[ATTACH=CONFIG]124724[/ATTACH]

Hi @OsirusANZ . Nice Cab. Looks like the speakers inside the OEM speaker box are different to original. Would be interested to know what they were if you put them in there. How do they sound? cheers

Hi matey yeah i purchased the speakers from jaycar they sound hella better then the stock sega ones as they were well worn out and muffled. I will eventually get a amp and put a sub somewhere. Ill find the model when i get home today if you like they cost around $36 for the pair.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

I just run a PC sub on the floor next to my candy cabs, yeah it might not look pro but it sounds good, subs need room to work well I'm not sure you would get good results with one inside the cab. That said I'm sure people have done it, dunno if I would like to feel the sub vibrate through the CP.