Arcade prices in free fall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcade prices in free fall?

I have only been into Arcade stuff for 3 years but over that time the prices seem to have taken a major dive.

Boards that used to fetch well over $200 are really starting to struggle (not my boards btw, just been cruising ebay)

Capcom Ghosts and Goblins - used to be an easy $250, now even at $120 there are no bids.
    Wonderboy - Used to be an easy $200, now even at $140 there are no bids, seen them go for under $80 nowadays.
    Raiden variants always got a lot of interest, but recently have seen them sell as low as $50.

Is this purely the high dollar making shipping from the US more viable, or is it more that everyone who wanted these boards and was prepared to pay now has one. Gradually the interest in arcades will fade as the older guys get out of the hobby and the young'uns are too young to remember the 80s games but the price collapse seems to be fairly stark, it cant be MAME either as that is not exactly new.
    Last edited by Womble; 4th May 2011, 02:33 PM.
    Sic transit gloria Atari!

MAME isn't new BUT it has become more widely known since the advent of fleabay sellers flogging XXXin1 tables IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Homepin View Post
      MAME isn't new BUT it has become more widely known since the advent of fleabay sellers flogging XXXin1 tables IMO
      Agreed. Whilst the arcade purist still exists even many of them, although hanging onto their old boards still, are putting xin1 board in because it's just easier.
      Bite my shiny metal ass!

Comment

Yep like Mike posted ,multi game boards have killed the market for the old PCB's but in some ways this is a good thing as more people are getting into the hobby by buying cocktails/cabs with multiple games already installed,the amount of container loads of cocktails coming into the country far outways pinball container loads

Comment

Looking forward to a similar effect with pinballs! Bring it on!

Comment

I was all set to start collecting arcade PCB's, but in the end it just isn't worth it unless you know how to repair them. That's what stopped me anyhow.
            SEGA love: | Nintendo love:
            PC Engine love: | Latest retro finds:

Comment

generic cabs are so plentiful, and cheap as well

Comment

Might have to make a bid on that Wonderboy board
                Eschew the standard. Turn the paradigm upside down.

Comment

Originally posted by radirgyman View Post
                  Looking forward to a similar effect with pinballs! Bring it on!
                  Little difficult to whip up a pin on the weekend, or put multiple pins into one cab, which are the main reasons the values hold up. That said things are down currently, and hopefully they stay that way.
                  The Barn - 2020 - 7th and 8th of August
                  SHPC - 2020 - Pukekohe

Comment

+1 On this.

Genuine boards are old and in most cases not well looked after. Therefore prone to breakdown and when this happens I for one cannot fix them. My soldering skills are non-existant and I have no time to develop some.

Comment

Yeh you might have a point, a family friend collects vintage cars, 1910 era mostly, gorgeous vehicles but they are actually not worth much, $30K tops, amazing considering a few are 1 in 5 known globally. The answer is there are so few people with the room and skills, or room and money to keep them running. With a small market comes a lack of competition which produces low prices.

I imagine quite a few keen PCB collectors have had the horror of finding their $250 cherished PCB presenting them with a screen full of rubbish. That would dent their ardour to buy more I suppose.

Am lucky I guess, have had a few of mine fail, but they were quickly re-fixed.

Comment

Hey Womble, I have Wonder-boy & Ghosts & goblins in the game list for blue elf 2 & I think you'll find the interest in multigame PCB is the real reason sales have dipped on originals. Not everyone is a PCB collector most just want to play the game. Why pay $250 for one PCB when you can get 300 plus games for $120. IMO
                        Gemini2544's 4th Pinball meet Saturday 21/03/2020

Comment

Am not criticising it, its a bonus for real PCB collectors anyway, just amazed it happened so fast, its not as if the multigame boards were not around 3 years ago either.

Comment

I've noticed it as well - even cab prices have fallen.

Makes it easier to get into the hobby though
                            - my nerdy gaming blog...

Comment

personally after playing the xxx in 1 boards they just motivated me to buy the originals. maybe in a couple years some of the guys who bought all the 60s, 300s, 2000 in 1s will get a bit deeper into the hobby and start buying real boards again.

sorta on the fence about this tbh

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X