Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Top 10 years of arcade gaming.

I read the years and refuse to read any further. The fact that it even mentions years from the past 5 or 6 means that the article must have been written by a 10 year old know nothing. And WTF is up with not mentioning 1987 !?!

http://home.iprimus.com.au/the_beaver/wtf.gif

1987 was the best year for video games. PERIOD. No compitition...

Sega: After Burner 1 and 2, Thunder Blade, SDI, Wonderboy in Monster Land, Shinobi, Heavyweight Champ(In fact sega put out more games than that. thats just the best)

Atari: APB, Road Blasters

Taito: Rastan Saga, Flying Shark, Twin Cobra, Double Dragon (FFS !!!!), Bubble Bobble2 - Rainbow Islands, Arkanoid, Operation Wolf, Wardner, and more

Nintendo: R-Type (FFS, RTYPE PEOPLE !!!)

Capcom: Black Tiger, Tiger Road, Bionic Commando, Street Fighter (FFS, this game changed the fucking world, you underpants wearing sissys !!!), and more

Dare I continue !!!!!!!!!!!!!

In fact, go to http://www.klov.com and choose any manufacturer, sort by year, and you will probably see that they peaked in 1987 !!!

Fuck ya polls. There are 2 fundamental truths in this universe when it comes to history....\

1)1984 was the best year for music and cinema

2)1987 was the best year for video games (and the second best for music and cinema, too !!!)

...and thats that. Anyone who can come up with a "best years for video games" list and not even mention 1987 is a cocksmoker and should just pop their dads cock back in their mouths and be refused the right to speak ever again (let alone type a POS poll on the net)

FFS

lol... Quake2... you could make a cup of coffee, go for a nap, wake up and still have time to dodge a rocket.

Damn i hated that game... heh.

The sad part is that Quake2 is the best of the series, and the only one that looked like all people invovled worked on the same game. Excluding Quake4 aka Doom4, of course.

Negative!

WTF?

Quake1 : A game where its sole purpose for existing is a multiplayer gimmick. The single player looks like 4 or 5 different games slkapped together. ie Gothic castle setting plus alien badguys plus semi modern weapons. Oh, and I hope you like brown because its about the only color in the pallet. :078:

Quake2 : Single player was actually quite good. Cutting edge at the time, in fact. Looks like a well thought out game with excellent weapons. At the time, I thought it was in insult to call it Quake2. Doom3 was a more worthy title. But Doom was out and Quake was in. :rolleyes Marketing boys...pffft

Quake3Arena : Hello? Single player? Where are you? They took the best parts of Quake2 and pissed them off. They were replaced with eye candy and multiplayer qimmick worthy of the Quake brand. It was so rushed as only half the game was released.

Quake3TeamArena : The other half. Still no single player.

Quake4 : Simmilar in style to Quake2, but more like Doom3. LINEAR as a Fred Nile sunday mass.

See the trend? Just like the Star Trek movies, only every 2nd Quake game is worth playing in any capacity.

How did the list skip from 1982 to 1991? They missed out on the golden age of gaming. The mid to late 80's produced the best games; a time of lone coders with one musician. Unlike the multi-million dollar games of today, games in that era were simply fun to play.

I can't believe Galaga is not on the list but Tomb Raider 2 (trash) is.

I bet the authors are under 21's who have played some 1982 games on MAME.

Didn't anyone play wolfenstein and duke nuke em (not 3d). Fuck I still play wolfenstein. Original and best 3rd person shooter.

Don`t forget spear of destnty.. And the "jusuar" cheat from the TV show "War Games".I still have my original wolf 3D box! I bought a realy copy.. everyone else just copyed it (Not trying to take the morial high ground here ;)

Goobers was the comand line for Wold 3d i think? for the cheats!

Duke nukim the patform level game was good. They included them all on the early Duke 3D CD's.

Don`t forget Simcity / SC2000 ...

Warcraft 1/2, and Command and Conque!!! I bet thats not on the list!!! Dune 2!

Not very well know but i think should be atleast played.. is "Wrath of earth" Its a 3d first person.. (for dos) but is more advance than Wolf 3D was...

Mrv.

Didn't anyone play wolfenstein and duke nuke em (not 3d). Fuck I still play wolfenstein. Original and best 3rd person shooter.

There is NOTHING more satisfying than whipping out that massive chaingun and mowing through a room full of baddies on the higher levels. Great stress relief.

Quake 1>,3,2,4,5,6,7,8,9,

very innovative

Agreed.

My favourite was QuakeWorld. It was a network enhanced version of the original quake that allowed you to tweak a lot more things, and was better for network admins hosting large LANs. (Easy booting of dickhead players, better map management, etc).

In particular, it was the first version of Quake that allowed you to turn that stupid auto-aim feature off. There was nothing more annoying than playing standard Quake multiplayer, trying to aim a rock at some n00bs feet and it ends up flying upwards with auto-aim. Grrr....

My favourite map of all was "Spank Me Again!" (spank1.bsp). Tiny little map that was PERFECT for 2-4 players, and could even do 8 if you didn't mind the frags-per-second mayhem that ensued. If you still play Quake, grab a copy of this map ASAP.

http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames2/levels/deathmatch/s-u/

Also, check out Tenebrea:

http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/

Same old Quake engine physics and speed, but with prettier graphics for new hardware. Dedicate an hour to this game along with "Spank Me Again" next time you LAN, and you won't regret it.

Good times.

WTF?

Quake1 : A game where its sole purpose for existing is a multiplayer gimmick. The single player looks like 4 or 5 different games slkapped together. ie Gothic castle setting plus alien badguys plus semi modern weapons. Oh, and I hope you like brown because its about the only color in the pallet. :078:

WTF is right... tell me your kidding ?

Quake1 is one of the best and originals FPS ever made.

When i was in my best form... hanging around in the top 5-10 in australia, no one could beat me at DM4, best... map... ever... ! :D I dont mind DM6 is highly rated by me as well.

Quake 2 is by all aspects a POS... that game should never have been released.

Quake 3 is as close of game play that you get to Q1... nice game, played the test maps to death at uni.

In particular, it was the first version of Quake that allowed you to turn that stupid auto-aim feature off. There was nothing more annoying than playing standard Quake multiplayer, trying to aim a rock at some n00bs feet and it ends up flying upwards with auto-aim. Grrr....

Also, check out Tenebrea:

http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/

Hmm at least when i was playing it was a switch on the server... which should have always been off.

Thanks for the tip... im gonna give this link a whirl ;)