Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Berty
    Hi Mark,
    What sort of GST are you looking at on something like that? is it the regular 10% of the invoice or more?
    ON imports, you dont pay GST as the seller is not Australia-based.
    ...maybe, but then again "maybe" covers a lot of things, like: maybe Michael Jackson really is LaToya in drag, or maybe if Dorothy clicks her heels 3 times and says "There's no place like home" while she is at home, she would telefrag herself..." - MadMikeAU

| My | |

Comment

Oh yes you do and duty. Anything you inport that is valued over $1000 (the shipment, not each item) will incur duty and then GST (yes, they charge you GST on the duty as well as the freight costs). See: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4752.

Remember, our GST is not the same as other GST's. Most (obviously not all) duty rates and tariffs were replaced by GST on imported goods.
      Last edited by Viper; 2nd November 2005, 07:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      Bite my shiny metal ass!

Comment

But i have had to pay a "tax" on some stuff that has come in from OS

Comment

The duty rate is generally 5% (of the invoice cost) then GST on the whole lot so as an example (using nice round numbers so my brain don't hurt):
          $5000 invoice cost
          $2000 shipping
          Duty would be $250 on the $5000 making the total $7250 and GST would be calculated on that figure making the GST $725 and the total therefore $7975. Almost $1000 in Aussie taxes. I love this country!

I ordered some stuff from OS and the total came in at around A$300. Because the seller sent it via DHL rather than by post, it still incurred duty and tax. Apparently the $1000 limit for items not attracting these fees only counts if the items come in by mail. If it comes in via a freight company the limit is $250. Same happened with a mini-notebook I got from the US. The guy worked for FedEx so got me a great deal on expedited air freight. Unfortunately it then attracted duty even though it was only $400. Would have ended up costing me less if I'd paid more for regular EMS via US Postal (and got it in the same amount of time).
          Last edited by Viper; 2nd November 2005, 08:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          Bite my shiny metal ass!

Comment

Originally posted by markc
            Mickey its the same LOT
            check history under the user name and you will see he has listed it 3 times
            I've seen individual pins NOT from this lot eg DMD machines like Twilight Zone, Addams family
            BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When your down here with us, you'll float too!

Comment

GST and Duty

You have to pay GST and DUTY.
              In New Zeland GST is %12.5 on the item and the shipping and insurance.
              But there is not duty.

You have to get insurance you dont want your container falling off the ship.

It happens more than you think.

Comment

Originally posted by hamish_nz
                :eek: :eek:
                BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When your down here with us, you'll float too!

Comment

Oh, yeah forgot about insurance. The duty adn GST is also changed on that too, like Hamish said.

I've seen video of containers falling off ships. You naturally wouldn't think something that big and heavy could move enought to go over but big seas will do it. Pay the guys on the dock to get your container midship rather than on the outer edges.
                  Bite my shiny metal ass!

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Juice
                    Though it was the same bloke.
                    I see alot of the games are missing CPU boards ...

Hi Mick

yes not many complete and all untested
                    it too $$$ for me unless you got a couple more kiss

mark

Originally posted by microwrx
                    The duty rate is generally 5% (of the invoice cost) then GST on the whole lot so as an example (using nice round numbers so my brain don't hurt):
                    $5000 invoice cost
                    $2000 shipping
                    Duty would be $250 on the $5000 making the total $7250 and GST would be calculated on that figure making the GST $725 and the total therefore $7975. Almost $1000 in Aussie taxes. I love this country!
                    I ordered some stuff from OS and the total came in at around A$300. Because the seller sent it via DHL rather than by post, it still incurred duty and tax. Apparently the $1000 limit for items not attracting these fees only counts if the items come in by mail. If it comes in via a freight company the limit is $250. Same happened with a mini-notebook I got from the US. The guy worked for FedEx so got me a great deal on expedited air freight. Unfortunately it then attracted duty even though it was only $400. Would have ended up costing me less if I'd paid more for regular EMS via US Postal (and got it in the same amount of time).

all of the Above yes

I have just paid say $57000 for a new lot and we have allowed for when it arrives $8000.00 for costs gst duty handling fees deliverly fees container cleaning fee ( 200) pick up fee paperwork fee They all add up. I always add extra just incase.

you can get away without paying duty and Gst if under 250 in value for the whole package. but thats just spare parts really.

mark

Originally posted by hamish_nz
                    You have to pay GST and DUTY.
                    In New Zeland GST is %12.5 on the item and the shipping and insurance.
                    But there is not duty.
                    You have to get insurance you dont want your container falling off the ship.
                    Hamish
                    we take out insurance on everyone

its costs aprrox $200 US so better to be safe than sorry

I have heard stories hmmmmmm they do fall off in the sea ....

mark
                    Last edited by markc; 3rd November 2005, 01:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by markc

Hamish
                      we take out insurance on everyone
                      its costs aprrox $200 US so better to be safe than sorry
                      I have heard stories hmmmmmm they do fall off in the sea ....
                      mark

Comment

you have too much time on your hands Mick

but a nice job nonetheless

Ric
                        Ric
                        looking for:
                        the baseboard for a Gottlieb Royal Guard
                        Zaccaria Devil Riders Backglass
                        Williams OXO, GTB Volcano

Comment

Thats Gold!

Comment

nice Mick
                            well done

Comment

Classic, well done!
                              Bite my shiny metal ass!

Comment

haaaa very funny and a nicely illustrated point.

Love how you have captured the motion :-)

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                                Working...
                                X