Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Marvel Vs Capcom

Just got my hands on MARVEL VS CAPCOM CPSII from ebay.. Never been much of a Street Fighter fanatic, mostly because I suck at them, but still enjoy this style now and again.

But I must say, after playing this for a few goes this games kick but, really got into it !

Just got my hands on MARVEL VS CAPCOM CPSII

So jealous!!!

Great game. Probably my favourite of the crazy vs series. MvC2 was just a little too much for my tastes. I think MvC was the best of the bunch.

Spiderman Zangeif teamup for the win. Final Atomic Buster!

makes me wanna buy an Astro City cab even more

Don't limit yourself to Sega cabs. Yes, they are great, but there are hundreds of other brands out there that are just as good, but way cheaper.

Taito (Egret series), SNK (Neo and Super Neo Candies), Namco (Exceleena), etc - they all make alternative cabs. And of course there's the nonames like the LS Sound and Super King cabs. Same look but half the price.

Shop around and save your wallet!

Im not a huge VS fan... too much mash and less skill.

This ratio gets worse the newer the VS version your talking about.

MvC had that "auto" mode where you could get an auto 2-hit "heavy punch cancel into special" move, and mashing all three punch or kick would give you an auto super. In that case, rates of mashing were high.

The problem of course is that new players don't stand a chance against pros. And in a way I can kind of understand why these sorts of "auto" modes are added. It does make the game more fun when you play against someone of lesser skill, and gives them a fighting chance. But on the flipside, it doesn't teach them how to play, and only reinforces the mash tactic.

Outside of that there is a fair bit of skill required. Definitely not as much as 3S or other more technical fighters IMHO. But I would say these games still have less "mash factor" than, say, Tekken 5 or similar 3D fighters.

MvC2 is definitely the craziest of the lot. 3 characters per side, plus assits for combos, etc, etc. I recently played a rather newschool player in oldschool SF2:HF, and he noted how quickly the rounds ended in HF. All he's ever played are new games packed full of super specials and 30-hit combos. He didn't realise that once apon a time, 10 good solid hits was enough to end a round. :)

Its not only the mash its the crazy crap that jumps focus around the screen... which induces more mash because you can't see your own character and people tend to panic.

To teach someone to play SF you need to make them step away from the VS :D

Make them learn simple basics from classics like champ ed and turbo.

Make them learn simple basics from classics like champ ed and turbo.

Amen to that. I've been dreaming of starting an oldschool tourney here in Brisbane for a while now. Get some SF2:HF and SSF2:T happening to teach people the core skills again. :)

Amen to that. I've been dreaming of starting an oldschool tourney here in Brisbane for a while now. Get some SF2:HF and SSF2:T happening to teach people the core skills again. :)

Thats what its all about !

They still have a Champ Ed tourney in korea i think it was... now thats hardcore :D

Im not a huge VS fan... too much mash and less skill.

The thing i love about versus are the awesome combos, especially the air combos.

Don't limit yourself to Sega cabs. Yes, they are great, but there are hundreds of other brands out there that are just as good, but way cheaper.

I must admit, i know nothing about cabs..

I must admit, i know nothing about cabs..

Zax have a good range of cabs on their site:

http://www.zax.com.au/arcade_machines/i_conversion-ready_cabinets.html

Also check out KillerCabs in the UK (great for reference):

http://www.killercabs.com/

And Candy Cabinet City, which is another great reference site for candies:

http://www.candycabinetcity.com/

Candy Cabs are now standard in Japan. They're cheap to make, cheap to buy, have damned huge monitors, and often take spare parts compatible with each other (CPs are quite often interchangable brand to brand). For the Japanese the most important thing is being able to cram as many cabs into a location as possible, which is another big seller for them (and as a home user, it's easier to shove one of these in the corner than a massive dedicated cab - although old style LAI lowboys are easy to squeeze in too, but aren't as good for fighters with their small monitors and CPs IMHO).

I'm in Brissie. Count me in on a SFII tournament. :cool: :cool: :cool: I am sure you could get a few people willing to join.

I'm in Brissie. Count me in on a SFII tournament. :cool: :cool: :cool: I am sure you could get a few people willing to join.

Yeah, I'm going to host a few I reckon. Get the cabs set up downstairs so a few people can play at once. When it's all good to go I'll announce them on here as well as OzHadou and get some regular weekend friendly matches happening.

I think we should mix it up - some weekends newschool (3S and MvC2), some weekends oldschool - SF2:HF and SSF2:T. Should be fun! :)