• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked toughened Glass/Plexi/Perspex/Lexen

Hey guys

Im after some for my project
    Need roughly 540x540mm sheet that is about 4-6mm thick
    Would like it smoked/grey apperance

what are you all using and what are the pros and cons of each?
    how much does each cost?
    Where in sydney should i be looking for this?

Thanks
    Mike

Glass is the cheapest option. Depends on your glass supplier, but it should run between $30-40 for tinted.

Comment

Originally posted by miikeboyle
      Hey guys

Im after some for my project
      Need roughly 540x540mm sheet that is about 4-6mm thick
      Would like it smoked/grey apperance
      Has anyone else used smoked glass/plexi? I'm keen as well, the idea of not needing a bezel is appealing:

http://www.arcadeparadise.org/arcade/ap3/monitor.html

Comment

I used smoked/tinted plexi-glass on my cocktail. The company said to me there are 3 different tints light to dark. I got the second lightest. Next time i will get the lightest as I am mainly using my cab for mame, and i currently use a mk 1 JPAC that doesn't have the video amp on board. For JAMMA boards it's fine though.
        The Pinny Parlour likes this post.

The Pinny Parlour Welcomes you to Aussie Arcade.

Comment

Originally posted by The Pinny Parlour
          I used smoked/tinted plexi-glass on my cocktail. The company said to me there are 3 different tints light to dark. I got the second lightest. Next time i will get the lightest as I am mainly using my cab for mame, and i currently use a mk 1 JPAC that doesn't have the video amp on board. For JAMMA boards it's fine though.
          So you didn't need a bezel? Can you see the monitor surrounds?

Comment

I've got tinted laminated glass on one of my uprights and you can't see the monitor surrounds. It looks nice in the cabinet, but personally I think it's a little too dark. All my other cabinets have tinted glass and I like the effect.
            WANTED

Another Holiday

Comment

I actually have used some black cardboard to make a bezel and that was place on the underside of my tinted plexi.

look at the bezel area, you can make out the carboard bezel and the tinted plexi.

Here is a top image of it:

The Pinny Parlour likes this post.

The Pinny Parlour Welcomes you to Aussie Arcade.

Comment

Lexen/Lexan (however it's spelt) hasn't been mentioned by anyone yet - but I'll be needing some in the future

Anyone know best place to get it?

Interstate or in Brisbane doesn't matter to me

Comment

Go to your local joinery, they should have both perspex (plexi-glass) and lexan. They should also offer to cut it to size for you...

Thanks local joinery...

Comment

From my quotes, perspex was much cheaper. Laminated lightly tinted glass for my TMNT cab was $77, Perspex was $22 (61.5 x 54cm).

I also got the middle level of tint, it is a bit too dark so I would recommend the lightest as well. I'll take some pics next time I am at the machines location.

Comment

Where did you go for your perspex??? im after some

Originally posted by revolt
                      From my quotes, perspex was much cheaper. Laminated lightly tinted glass for my TMNT cab was $77, Perspex was $22 (61.5 x 54cm).

I also got the middle level of tint, it is a bit too dark so I would recommend the lightest as well. I'll take some pics next time I am at the machines location.

Comment

Originally posted by madturbo123
                        Look under plastic fabricators in the yellow pages.......

In case anyone else was wondering the difference between Perspex & Lexan I found this on a google search..... Tomorrow Ill be discussing the difference between grass & lawn....

Lexan is a trademark of GE plastics.
                        Plexiglas is a trademark of Rohm & Haas Co.
                        Lucite is a trademark of E.I.DuPont DeNemours & Co.
                        Acrylite is a trademark of American Cynamid Co.
                        Perspex is a trademark of ICI Group.

Lexan is polycarbonate.
                        Plexiglas, Lucite, Acrylite, Perspex and acrylic are polyacrylate.

Polycarbonate is harder than polyacrylate, and if someone wants to go dig up the physical properties listings, there's probably a wealth of other differences. I don't think it matters much in a case modding context.

Lexan is much more shatter resistant than Acrylic. Acrylic is more scratch resistant than Lexan.

Acrylic is available in different grades:
                        Extruded material is manufactured by pushing pellets through a highly polished die. There can be slight imperfections in the surface. Extruded material is usually less expensive and more difficult to work with.

Acrylic can also be cast There are different casting methods, with the more expensive material being more uniform in thickness. Cell cast is the highest grade, and continuous cast is in the middle.
                        sigpic

Comment

Well, I'm in Perth, but the place was:

Creative Plastics
                          47 Coolabah Way Forrestfield WA 6058
                          ph: (08) 9453 1246

Comment

Yeah pitty im not in WA.. but i'll check around to find a supplier in bris

Originally posted by revolt
                            Well, I'm in Perth, but the place was:

Creative Plastics
                            47 Coolabah Way Forrestfield WA 6058
                            ph: (08) 9453 1246

Comment

mate, if you find a supplier in Bris, could you please post the details?

haven't looked for any suppliers yet, but if you find someone I'll try them when I'm looking for lexan later

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X