Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Smoked toughened Glass/Plexi/Perspex/Lexen

Hey guys

Im after some for my project

Need roughly 540x540mm sheet that is about 4-6mm thick

Would like it smoked/grey apperance

what are you all using and what are the pros and cons of each?

how much does each cost?

Where in sydney should i be looking for this?

Thanks

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
I used smoked/tinted plexi-glass on my cocktail. The company said to me there are 3 different tints light to dark. I got the second lightest. Next time i will get the lightest as I am mainly using my cab for mame, and i currently use a mk 1 JPAC that doesn't have the video amp on board. For JAMMA boards it's fine though.

I used smoked/tinted plexi-glass on my cocktail. The company said to me there are 3 different tints light to dark. I got the second lightest. Next time i will get the lightest as I am mainly using my cab for mame, and i currently use a mk 1 JPAC that doesn't have the video amp on board. For JAMMA boards it's fine though.

So you didn't need a bezel? Can you see the monitor surrounds?

I've got tinted laminated glass on one of my uprights and you can't see the monitor surrounds. It looks nice in the cabinet, but personally I think it's a little too dark. All my other cabinets have tinted glass and I like the effect.

I actually have used some black cardboard to make a bezel and that was place on the underside of my tinted plexi.

look at the bezel area, you can make out the carboard bezel and the tinted plexi.

http://www.thepinnyparlour.com/images/insidectsi.jpg

Here is a top image of it:

http://www.thepinnyparlour.com/images/ctbjk.jpg

http://www.thepinnyparlour.com/images/mamectnew.jpg

http://www.thepinnyparlour.com/images/topviewb.jpg

Lexen/Lexan (however it's spelt) hasn't been mentioned by anyone yet - but I'll be needing some in the future

Anyone know best place to get it?

Interstate or in Brisbane doesn't matter to me

From my quotes, perspex was much cheaper. Laminated lightly tinted glass for my TMNT cab was $77, Perspex was $22 (61.5 x 54cm). :)

I also got the middle level of tint, it is a bit too dark so I would recommend the lightest as well. I'll take some pics next time I am at the machines location.

Where did you go for your perspex??? im after some :P

From my quotes, perspex was much cheaper. Laminated lightly tinted glass for my TMNT cab was $77, Perspex was $22 (61.5 x 54cm). :)

I also got the middle level of tint, it is a bit too dark so I would recommend the lightest as well. I'll take some pics next time I am at the machines location.

Where did you go for your perspex??? im after some :P

Look under plastic fabricators in the yellow pages.......:)

In case anyone else was wondering the difference between Perspex & Lexan I found this on a google search..... Tomorrow Ill be discussing the difference between grass & lawn....:D

Lexan is a trademark of GE plastics.

Plexiglas is a trademark of Rohm & Haas Co.

Lucite is a trademark of E.I.DuPont DeNemours & Co.

Acrylite is a trademark of American Cynamid Co.

Perspex is a trademark of ICI Group.

Lexan is polycarbonate.

Plexiglas, Lucite, Acrylite, Perspex and acrylic are polyacrylate.

Polycarbonate is harder than polyacrylate, and if someone wants to go dig up the physical properties listings, there's probably a wealth of other differences. I don't think it matters much in a case modding context.

Lexan is much more shatter resistant than Acrylic. Acrylic is more scratch resistant than Lexan.

Acrylic is available in different grades:

Extruded material is manufactured by pushing pellets through a highly polished die. There can be slight imperfections in the surface. Extruded material is usually less expensive and more difficult to work with.

Acrylic can also be cast There are different casting methods, with the more expensive material being more uniform in thickness. Cell cast is the highest grade, and continuous cast is in the middle.

mate, if you find a supplier in Bris, could you please post the details?

haven't looked for any suppliers yet, but if you find someone I'll try them when I'm looking for lexan later

yup np...

im headed down to slacks creek in a couple mins to check some places out.

i'll let ya know

mate, if you find a supplier in Bris, could you please post the details?

haven't looked for any suppliers yet, but if you find someone I'll try them when I'm looking for lexan later

-------------

In case anyone else was wondering the difference between Perspex & Lexan I found this on a google search..... Tomorrow Ill be discussing the difference between grass & lawn....:D

------------

Nice work tater! I always though the difference between grass and lawn was owning a mower AND actually using it!

Just keep thinking perspex and everything will be OK - it's just like people calling their vacuum cleaner a Hoover, even if it isn't.

Pinny Parlour mentioned different tints, there's heaps more than 3 depending on the type/brand of acrylic sheet you are looking at. In my opinion the best to go for is a very light grey tint as this knocks out a lot of glare fromoverhead lighting etc but isn't so dark as to make the monitor hard to see.

Increase the contrast and brightness a bit on the monitor to compensate, which will cause the picture to 'flare' a little with the end result when using a PC monitor (in my opinion) being that the picture looks more "arcade realistic".

A piece of "perspex" 540 x 540 in 3mm thickness (which is pretty standard and plenty thick enough) should cost you about $25. Others have already suggested where you may be able to obtain it from, but obviously you want to go somewhere that will cut to size and that has a range of different tints so you get the one you want.

Cheers,

Chris

• 5 weeks later...
I've bought several sheets of perspex from Bunnings. Both tinted and clear. Can't remember how much but from memory the sheets were all under $50 and were about 900x600mm

Reckon you could use that stuff for making replacement pinball plastics??

dunno, aren't pinball plastics pretty thin (like 1-2mm)? This stuff was more like 4mm but from memory they had different thicknesses also.

Only smoked toughend glass for me but im an "original" man so yeah. :p

Not to mention you got more money than sense. :p I mean, who spends more money chroming the legs of his cocktail machine than what he paid for the machine?

dunno, aren't pinball plastics pretty thin (like 1-2mm)? This stuff was more like 4mm but from memory they had different thicknesses also.

Not to mention you got more money than sense. :p I mean, who spends more money chroming the legs of his cocktail machine than what he paid for the machine?

I will have you know sir I only paid half the amount I paid for the cocktail machine! :lol