Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

moving a cabinet? ok on its back?

hey guys,

I finally have tracked down a cabinet!! I am getting a 20inch lowboy in great condition.

Now my question is: I am picking it up on Saturday, Am I able to lie it on it's back and put it in the back of a mates 4wd? or maybe trailer? or do I have to keep it upright? trip is about 45mins.

Id there anything I should do before I transport it?

any advice would be great! I will post some photos on Saturday!

I've only moved two, both were on their back. When we lifted the second one from horizontal to vertical to get it off the trailer, the back fell off and the monitor started sliding out. Make sure its tightly in place is my word of advice!

one of my machines didnt like being moved on its back

put the screen out of calibration at the top and bottom.. bendy

no matter what adjustments i use on the monitor, there are none for that specific pin cushion.

pos! lol

i moved two cabs, both on their sides (one in a volvo, one in a Berlingo) with no drama

but you need to be careful what is inside the cab. Most will have bits of metal, wire off cuts, dead cockroaches and other things that can find their way onto the chassis and cause nasty shorts.

I would recommended vacuuming the bottom of the cab (strange as this sounds) before moving it.

I agree with ric and hamish. The only cabs I ever moved on their backs were ones destined for stripping. Stand it up but ensure that the glass is secure, glass blowing/sliding out of incorrectly secured control panels is the only damage I have seen done to a cab from standing it for transport and on both occasions it was due to my laziness/being in a hurry. Of course if you only want the cab for the woodwork and there is nothing in it worth salavaging lie it on it's back.

Seems like it's 50/50 for people who move them on the backs. I am going to see if I can move it standing up. If I really can't think I will risk it.

The guy I bought it off actually moved it about a week ago on it's back:confused:

in all the time ive been doing this ive never seen a tube wrecked cause it was moved on its back so i ask this question when upright where are the guns and yoke located ?? exactly pointing down id say if a tube faied just because it was moved it was fucked anyway it some peoples thoughts are tue how does a cocktail tube survive ??

i have been told a few times that after transporting cabs you're supposed to leave them sit for a while before turning them on too.

Yeah I heard that as well. It's going to kill me to get it home and just leave it there :o

Spoke to my mate and we are going to use a trailer - so it will now stand up the whole way home ;)

What happens sometimes when you move a cab on it's back, the yoke might slip down, giving funky colours and strange convergence

As for crud falling into the guns, possible, but the tube would be flakey at best in the first place with something floating inside a vacum with highvoltage happening in there.

it is possible to damage the shadow mask, (remote possibllty) if that happens, the tube is junk.

Never had anyproblem laying cabs down. Just make sue there is nothing loose to damage anything, and this includes the harness as well