Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcade horror stories

sigpic

The biggest one I remember hearing about was done at the hands of Atari, themselves. You see Atari had just finished putting together a game called Ice Castles AKA I,Robot. It was the first all polygon game, BTW.

The first (and only) batch of 1000 were made, 500 were being shipped to Japan. Atari was going broke, due to massive overspending (and the popularity of the C64) and were negotiating with a buyer of the whole company. They didnt think it would look good, having hundreds of expensive I,Robot cabs (that they were having trouble selling). SO THEY PUSHED THEM OFF THE BOAT INTO THE PACIFIC!!!

Thats why this game is as rare as nun ****s.

Dunno if its urban legend, or what. But, like the Richard Gere / gerbil rumor, you hear it enough, you start to wonder.
    ...maybe, but then again "maybe" covers a lot of things, like: maybe Michael Jackson really is LaToya in drag, or maybe if Dorothy clicks her heels 3 times and says "There's no place like home" while she is at home, she would telefrag herself..." - MadMikeAU

| My | |

Comment

Horror story for a games producer!

In the mid 80's there was created called Polybius. The weird flashing colours caused epileptic fits and only (I think) 6 machines were ever put onto sites.. all in the one town in the US, then removed a couple of weeks later.

There are conspiracy theorists saying it was a US government project to see what different frequencies/colours/movements could do to the human mind. There were men in black coats watching kids playing the games. Some say these were government agents seeing the reactions to kids, others say they were just big wigs from the game company seeing if the epileptic reaction was dfinately to do with the game, and deciding whether to pull them and stop making more. I would suggest it is the latter, but nonetheless, interesting reading when you are bored online.

Comment

Originally posted by revolt
        Horror story for a games producer!

In the mid 80's there was created called Polybius. The weird flashing colours caused epileptic fits and only (I think) 6 machines were ever put onto sites.. all in the one town in the US, then removed a couple of weeks later.

There are conspiracy theorists saying it was a US government project to see what different frequencies/colours/movements could do to the human mind. There were men in black coats watching kids playing the games. Some say these were government agents seeing the reactions to kids, others say they were just big wigs from the game company seeing if the epileptic reaction was dfinately to do with the game, and deciding whether to pull them and stop making more. I would suggest it is the latter, but nonetheless, interesting reading when you are bored online.
        Ahh the mythical Polybius. Urban legend at it's finest.
        The Pinny Parlour likes this post.

The Pinny Parlour Welcomes you to Aussie Arcade.

Comment

Well the only one i have herd about was a bloke you dumped 80 in ok condition cocktail cabinets with i beleve there PCBs inside... Image how much you could get selling those on ebay!

I don`t have a cocktale unit.. and probibly won`t ever get one.. but most people i talk to want one.. Shame all those ones went to waste!

Mrv

Comment

Atari well could have dumped them overboard. Look at the famous ET cartridge landfill!!..

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
            Working...
            X