Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Flipping a monitor axis in cabinet, 9 in 1 board

Hi all,

A while ago I posted in the eBay forum this cabinet: http://tinyurl.com/rb3gt

Well, my boss bought it! It's a nice cab with great side art, nedes a bit of work, but don't they all. Anyway, we took the Snow Bros out and put in a 9 in 1 board bought from OzStick.

It's all good except for one problem - the display is sideways! The game board is expecting a vertical monitor and the cabinet obviously has monitor horizontal for Snow Bros.

My question is, is it possible to simply turn the monitor 90 degrees to vertical? The board the screen is mounted on slides back and forth easily. The chassis is mounted on the monitor so it will move with it. Is this A Bad Thing that should be left for the pros? I'm okay changing JAMMA boards and converting to J-Pac etc, but I don't fancy holding a monitor and turning it, while the yoke hits me in the stomach. Failing all this, is there a way to make the gameboard flip 90 degrees? There is a dipswitch but it flipped the display 180 degrees to the opposite vertical.

We are in the Sydney CBD right near town hall station. If this is possible at all, can anyone offer assistance?

yeah, just turn the board with the monitor attached to it 90 degrees. i have a 20" that's the same deal, you just slide out the wooden board and rotate it. but without touching the monitor, which isn't that hard anyway. just make sure all the wires are long enough so that when you pull it out you don't pull out the rest of the stuff in there and kill yourself. i had to get a mate to hold my chasis because some of the wires were about 2 inches too short.

On mine I had to undo the bolts attaching the monitor then rotate and reattach it, wasnt to hard but I would definitely recommend getting a friend to help :)

If your boss wants to sell the snow bros let us know ;)

On mine I had to undo the bolts attaching the monitor then rotate and reattach it, wasnt to hard but I would definitely recommend getting a friend to help :)

If your boss wants to sell the snow bros let us know ;)

Pretty sure we will sell the game. He only wants to play Galaxians and Pacman, hence the 9 in 1. Feel free to email me with offers and I'll pass them on to him.

I don't think the monitor is bolted in at all. When we took it off the trailer today, the back door fell off and the monitor on its board started sliding out! Had to hold the board in place as we up-righted the machine on the ground.

I'm a bit worried about wiring and such, how many should I be looking out for? As I said, it looks like the chassis is attached to the monitor board somehow.

just slide out the wooden board and rotate it.

Rottenpig gave you the correct advise. Just slide out the wooden board that has the monitor and chassis attached to it, rotate it to vertical (or so that the screen is long ways north south) then slide it back into the cabinet. There is no need to unbolt anything.

Snow Bros. Board sold!

We took the plunge and four of us pulled the monitor out and turned it 90 degrees to the vertical. Didn't blow ourselves up so all good! The chassis is attached to the monitor directly so it was very easy, we only had to unplug the monitor power cable.

Cabinet appears to have a dead player 1 start and dead player 2 joystick down, though the latter doesnt matter as the 9 in 1 games all use player 1 controls. Still, a cabinet with cool side artwork for $210 after the sale of the Snow Bros + the $350 for the 9 in 1 - looks a good deal to me and my boss!

• 1 year later...

There are a few sites showing how rotating is done, but in my opinion it's a waste of time. the monitor has to be tiny so it doesn't hit the sides half way around.

I have rotated a 25 inch monitor 90 degrees, but it was a permenent thing. The chassis had to be moved and wires extended, and I had to deal with white lines across the screen afterwards - caused by bad earthing of metal parts and interference on the RGB wires. I had to end up rewiring the RGB wires in quad sheilded cable.

I can safely say, it is not a good idea unless you have a tiny screen, and a lot of patience.

I ender up building another cabinet with a near new vertical monitor which I got from Jomac (and a new chassis to suit)

Good luck which ever way you go

DezBaz