Garage Storage ..weather effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Storage ..weather effect

I store my games in my garage and was wondering what sort of effect the weather would have on them, not to worried about heat as I am in Tassie but last night we had -2 c . Does freezing weather damage electrics? Garage is cement brick, core filled with a thick cement slab. No insulation under the colourbond roof except for the aluminum foil stuff. Has open beams. It is bloody cold down there at the moment . ( Have to layer up to play some games ) I have Pinballs and Arcade cabinets in there.

sigpic

I think that excessively hot or cold whether can play havoc with capacitors, but so long as the machines are kept free from moisture i dont think that you'll have much of a problem.

Comment

Thanks Berty
      so its more the humidity..
      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, when i power my machines up after a humid day you can hear the tubes make all sorts of noises due to small amounts of condensation building up on the high voltage componants.

But it is a minor minor problem as far as electronics are concerned. Dust can cause certain componants to overheat and fail too, so thats why when i get real dirty boards i give them a bath in the dishwasher. Again, the problem has to be pretty severe tp cause any sorts of real problems.

Humidity can be really bad especially if you cabs are made from chip board or similar. When i was looking for my first cab, i noticed that alot that were stored in sheds etc tended to have pretty bad swelling in the wood near their bases.

Comment

I know Hard Drives are affected by cold... you have to get them to a certain temp before running them....
          Dont know too much about electronics... But I do know we get alot of faulty parts/ PCs in for repair when there is a sudden cold snap (I work in a computer shop)... dry joints possibly???

Smit

Comment

That'd make sense thesmit. The cold causing the solder to shrink causing a dry joint.

As has been said though it's mostly moisture you should be concerned about. My grandfather had a Fathom pinnie he kept on a verandah which had a roof but the sides were only protected by fly screen mesh and every time it rained it went tits up.

Comment

Originally posted by TheYellowDart
              That'd make sense thesmit. The cold causing the solder to shrink causing a dry joint.

As has been said though it's mostly moisture you should be concerned about. My grandfather had a Fathom pinnie he kept on a verandah which had a roof but the sides were only protected by fly screen mesh and every time it rained it went tits up.
              You got it in 1. Moisture is the biggest worry, it can cause all sorts of problems like mould.

Comment

Ok I know it sounds a bit anal but how can you measure moisture content in an area and what would be suitable humidity/moisture levels
                Hate to do all this bloody work on my machines to find they are slowly deteriorating
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DKong
                  Ok I know it sounds a bit anal but how can you measure moisture content in an area and what would be suitable humidity/moisture levels
                  Hate to do all this bloody work on my machines to find they are slowly deteriorating
                  Go to your local PostShop, and get a weather station / clock for about $9. They have clock, temp, humidity, and air presure. I know cause I got one on my desk
                  ...maybe, but then again "maybe" covers a lot of things, like: maybe Michael Jackson really is LaToya in drag, or maybe if Dorothy clicks her heels 3 times and says "There's no place like home" while she is at home, she would telefrag herself..." - MadMikeAU

| My | |

Comment

for pins, backglasses don't like changes in temp

the cold and heat expnads and shrinks the paint.

Paint on a backglass is only so elastic and then it can start to craze or flake

clear coat the glass if you are worried.

Ric
                    Ric
                    looking for:
                    the baseboard for a Gottlieb Royal Guard
                    Zaccaria Devil Riders Backglass
                    Williams OXO, GTB Volcano

Comment

That brings to mind a question I was going to ask, I was recently holidaying in the Whitsundays and the resort I was staying in had a arcade games room. The humidity level was quite high and I was wondering what effect this had on the running of these machines? Maybe some of our FNQ members could share ther experiences in maintaining arcade games and pins in the tropics.

Comment

I am preparing to deck my shed out to make it a bit more resiliant to changes in temperature, moisture etc. It is a colourbond shed, 8 x 4.5m. I am thinking of lining the walls with some sort of batts, and lining the ceiling with that silver insulation foil stuff. Would it also be a good idea to get a couple of whirly gig things for the roof for ventilation? Does anybody else have good moisture reduction advice?

Comment

whirly gigs are useless, you're better off putting a few big windows in. or leaving the door open.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RetroGame
                            That brings to mind a question I was going to ask, I was recently holidaying in the Whitsundays and the resort I was staying in had a arcade games room. The humidity level was quite high and I was wondering what effect this had on the running of these machines? Maybe some of our FNQ members could share ther experiences in maintaining arcade games and pins in the tropics.

It does not bother poker machines.most poker machines have cpu fans and cabinet extraction fans as well to keep them cool.
                            the fans get replaced at pm time every few months if they are ceased or not spinning freely.
                            rc forums looking for cabinet pc atx power supply for 12/5 volt for mame cabinet and turn it on
                            if your new to electronics and

Comment

Originally posted by DKong
                              What, faster then they are anyway??

Electronics have storage temps in the specs. Most are around -20c to +90c . But the operating temp is different. So, let any overly hot or cold machines get to roof temp before switching on

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X