Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

What in the hell is a chassis!

Ok, Im not completely stupid.

But I thought a chassis was something you used to mount something, like the chassis of a car etc.

So, my new cab has a monitor, but no chassis. Talking to the bloke I asked if the monitor works and he said sure, just got to get a chassis. I got back in the car and told the minister of finance and war, I said, now I just gotta work out what the hell that is.

So Ive worked out its an electronic gizmo that drives the monitor i guess.

What is one of these going to set me back? I will have to post a pic of the monitor to get some idea of what chassis I need for it from you knowledgeable people.

Joey (Jomac)

he helps everyone here

has "universal chassis" which fit most monitors

as mentioned cost about $140-$150

most helpful guy - will walk through the wire connecting process with you too which was very helpful for me

Jason

Ok, so I need a monitor chassis for this one.

But before going to the expense of getting the chassis, how do I know this monitor actually works?

If I go and spend the 150 for the chassis, then also need the adaptor for connecting the monitor to the pc and find out the monitor is stuffed I will have wasted 200+ bucks.

Where I could have bought a telly or pc monitor by then.

Any tips on checking if the monitor works?

pc monitors are cheap as chips

try pc recycling places,ebay,auction houses ect. i got one for $30 (21 inch crt) plus ive scored one free (gotta pick it up)

a safe bet is to find a dead tv (free usually) that way you have a new tube as joey can match the chassis to the tube

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=1797

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=11097

Typically, there is VERY little that can go wrong with a tube itself .. nearly all the stuff that can fail in a screen, is in the chassis board, so you're pretty safe with the tube. Same reason why you can pick up old (Dead) TVs, gut the tube,fit a jomac chassis and have a nice new screen operating.. even tho the TV side of it is dead, the tube is nearly always great! :)