Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Custom built Arcade MAME machine

I am seriously think about purchasing an all-in-one, never-need-to-buy-another-game-in-my-life, arcade cabinet. I stumbled across Ultra Classic Cabs Australia and have read nothing but great reviews on them. This appeals to me as I want an upright cabinet to play but also featuring all the classic arcade games from my young years and also all DAPNE titles and Sega Model 2 & 3 titles, Naomi, Commodore 64, Atari, Nintendo and even ColecoVision! You can also hook your ps/xbox up to this thing. I'm not very tech savvy nor do I have the time, if I was, to build my own MAME/Raspberry Pi set up.

https://www.ultracustomcabs.com.au/

The 2TB game list is immense:

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/c40862_09260051521e4f24bdc40f4620143acd.pdf

Not to mention the cabinet itself and custom options:

https://www.ultracustomcabs.com.au/product-page/2-player-fighters-arcade-machine-40-000-plus-games-and-pin-1

https://www.ultracustomcabs.com.au/product-page/4-player-fighters-arcade-machine-40-000-plus-games-and-pinball

Features 40000+ games and is displayed beautifully on all the different genre wheels.

And for a modest price of only around $2100+ for a 2 player or $2400+ for a 4 player version the decision is which one do I get - 2 player or 4?? Not to mention which livery pack do I choose!!

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Edited by Brad
restored

Its like Groundhog day with this topic

I need to contribute as I keep getting this message below and its annoying me so "Im engaging in a conversation" that is also annoying me :D

"Hello Ponty it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?"

With the knowledge you're going to need to repair/maintain the software in one of their cabs, you'd be able to get one up and running yourself anyway. Check out Hyperspin and see if you can get it running with a few roms on your pc .. if you can't, then you're soon going to hate your awesome new cab... if you can, then go for it.

Buy one and do a full audit on it, what works, what doesn't. I will be interested to see if they have improved their software package.

You can't expect every single MAME ROM to work, but you can expect the large majority of them to work with correct controls setup and the like. Anything that's 2 joysticks and 6 or fewer buttons should work flawlessly. All console ROMS should work with correct buttons mapped. They say they don't guarantee that all the ROMS will work, but you should at least have a setup where all the basic stuff works. If you are finding basic console games where controls aren't mapped, buttons don't work and games don't load properly, then the system is poorly setup.

Nobody is stopping you from buying it, but be warned that there are a number of people on here who were very unhappy with their purchase and then had zero assistance from the seller to try to rectify issues.

• Administrators
What do you mean waiting with the popcorn? Why do you want to ruin this experience for me by being sarcastic and facetious?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

You asked for feedback. Not all of it is going to be positive. FYI, those "positive" reviews were quickly produced because of the negative experiences posted here and elsewhere. Secondly its VERY common practice to buy reviews.

But like others have said, you've asked and gotten answers. Now make your own mind up but I question why ask here at all if you're going to do argue with the responses. Seems like you've already made you mind up :unsure

Reference Threads:

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/91791-Ultra-Custom-Cabs-(QLD)

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/100597-Ultra-Custom-Cabs?highlight=ultra

They also disabled their Facebook review system due to too many bad reviews

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/101256-Ultra-Custom-Cabs-Product-Review-page-now-active

Brad

But why bag them? I bet you've never done business with them so don't actually know and are probably jealous and cant afford to buy one. Reviews, and opinions are like a***holes - everybody's got one! But that doesn't mean stay away. Just like movie reviews; do you know how many have said how awful a particular movie is only to see it myself and love it? Very subjective.

You asked for feedback. Not all of it is going to be positive. FYI, those "positive" reviews were quickly produced because of the negative experiences posted here and elsewhere. Secondly its VERY common practice to buy reviews.

But like others have said, you've asked and gotten answers. Now make your own mind up but I question why ask here at all if you're going to do argue with the responses. Seems like you've already made you mind up :unsure

Brad

Edited by Brad
restored

• Administrators
But why bag them? I bet you've never done business with them so don't actually know and are probably jealous and cant afford to buy one. Reviews, and opinions are like a***holes - everybody's got one! But that doesn't mean stay away. Just like movie reviews; do you know how many have said how awful a particular movie is only to see it myself and love it? Very subjective.

LOL No I haven't done business with them because I know better and have spent some time helping others who were unfortunate enough to purchase the machines. Read the threads I linked for real people who have dealt with them, or not I don't really care, especially with your attitude. You asked for feedback and got it, I'm not sure what else you want :unsure

So as others have said go nuts and buy it. Your experience may be better than others.

Brad

• Administrators

You're right just as some people only see what they want to.

Personally I'm very keen to see how you go. Your experience may be good.

You're right just as some people only see what they want to.

Personally I'm very keen to see how you go. Your experience may be good.

I am also interested to see someone do a complete review of their new system. They claim to always be updating stuff and it would be interesting to see if they have acted on feedback and created a well designed and formatted Hyperspin drive. It's very, very difficult to get Hyperspin running with as much as they claim to have, if they have managed to do it and have setup the system within the reasonable limits of what is expected to work normally for the various emulators, it would be impressive.

Opinions on art, (movies, music, paintings, theatre etc..etc) are subjective… opinions on a front end and operating system for a video game that doesn’t cater to a novice is not… it’s a commonly known fact that we’re all aware of. If you’re a novice, then these machines will look and sound awesome but will have you pulling your hair out when they glitch. These guys are just letting you know that in their experience, you will have trouble with these machines… and you will. How do they know? They know because they spend lots of time here and you’re nowhere near the first to ask these questions before purchasing and then ask a million more afterwards when things have turned to shit. You will get very little, to no help from the people who sell you the machine and you’ll quickly find out that this site is all you have … and with the right attitude you’ll get some good advice. It seems you’re sold on buying one anyway, seeing as you’ve asked for help and are now disagreeing with the people who took the time out of their day to respond. I don't know how much experience you have, but if it's only a little.. do yourself a favour and research gaming machine front ends and emulators… start slowly at the bottom instead of jumping in at the deep end. If you do buy one then let us know how it goes... maybe you'll be the one responding to the next person who asks the same questions you have.

I recently received a boss machine from them and have only put maybe 5 hours into the machine so I am far from knowing all the problems yet. Here is my honest feedback.

As for my background, I have had many Hyperspin setups in the past, have built and owned many arcade machines, and have read all the feedback from posts before I purchased. I wanted a 4 player cab I could plug in, and play what I wanted, and in the future customize the software when it becomes out of date. I was ready to copy my own hyperspin setup over and do countless days of control configurations if I had to. Thankfully it didn't get to that point.

What I have seen is the owners don't take feedback or questions too well. I see many instances where they defensive very quickly. If your going to need customer support, or be walked through things, I'd look elsewhere.

The machine build quality is quite good. Buttons positions are very well thought out, the machine is solid (and very heavy), the zero delay buttons are very responsive, and the joysticks are also great. Quality for the actual cab better than anything I could ever hope to think up or build. You can see hes had problems in the past, for example, LED buttons having too much of a delay and is learning from builds to improve things.

Now the hyperspin setup is better than I thought it would be as I have read the horror story's here. I have not had any issues with having to remap controls yet, or had any game failing to load. With that said I have barely loaded many games, but had tried about 6 systems and all worked out of the box. I have noticed one rom issue, like a game in the 4-player menu but linked to 2-player rom version which I should be able to fix. The big issue is there is just so many games, that you get someone to come over for a game, and you spend more time finding something rather than playing. There is just so much crap on there that nobody would ever play, but I think this is the nature of the beast when it comes to hyperspin setups.

The wait time for build/delivery for myself was around 5 months which was much longer than quoted. My biggest worry in that time was he was going to get shut down by copyright infringement lawyers as they are getting pretty popular, but thankfully it arrived.

They do a great job at marketing on facebook, the build quality is good. You can see countless hours of time has been put in to the hyperspin setup and it's much better than what it was 6 months ago, but it's far from perfect.

My honest opinion is it's a gamble. I'd more than likely stay away now, mostly due how open they are with what they are selling and how popular they are becoming. It's only a matter of time until they get shut down. Most people here will say build your own, which is a hell of a lot cheaper but time consuming and tedius. It really depends on where you are in life and what you get enjoyment out of doing.

I hope that helps.

Go buy one, then let us know your honest experience, I doubt it will be much different than the people who have already legit purchased one, but you seem to be defending them vigorously and not taking on board that most people have heard and seen the problems, maybe you know something we don't.

All we can say is good luck with your purchase, and if it turns to shit, you cant say we didnt try to tell you.

- - - Updated - - -

I recently received a boss machine from them and have only put maybe 5 hours into the machine so I am far from knowing all the problems yet. Here is my honest feedback.

As for my background, I have had many Hyperspin setups in the past, have built and owned many arcade machines, and have read all the feedback from posts before I purchased. I wanted a 4 player cab I could plug in, and play what I wanted, and in the future customize the software when it becomes out of date. I was ready to copy my own hyperspin setup over and do countless days of control configurations if I had to. Thankfully it didn't get to that point.

What I have seen is the owners don't take feedback or questions too well. I see many instances where they defensive very quickly. If your going to need customer support, or be walked through things, I'd look elsewhere.

The machine build quality is quite good. Buttons positions are very well thought out, the machine is solid (and very heavy), the zero delay buttons are very responsive, and the joysticks are also great. Quality for the actual cab better than anything I could ever hope to think up or build. You can see hes had problems in the past, for example, LED buttons having too much of a delay and is learning from builds to improve things.

Now the hyperspin setup is better than I thought it would be as I have read the horror story's here. I have not had any issues with having to remap controls yet, or had any game failing to load. With that said I have barely loaded many games, but had tried about 6 systems and all worked out of the box. I have noticed one rom issue, like a game in the 4-player menu but linked to 2-player rom version which I should be able to fix. The big issue is there is just so many games, that you get someone to come over for a game, and you spend more time finding something rather than playing. There is just so much crap on there that nobody would ever play, but I think this is the nature of the beast when it comes to hyperspin setups.

The wait time for build/delivery for myself was around 5 months which was much longer than quoted. My biggest worry in that time was he was going to get shut down by copyright infringement lawyers as they are getting pretty popular, but thankfully it arrived.

They do a great job at marketing on facebook, the build quality is good. You can see countless hours of time has been put in to the hyperspin setup and it's much better than what it was 6 months ago, but it's far from perfect.

My honest opinion is it's a gamble. I'd more than likely stay away now, mostly due how open they are with what they are selling and how popular they are becoming. It's only a matter of time until they get shut down. Most people here will say build your own, which is a hell of a lot cheaper but time consuming and tedius. It really depends on where you are in life and what you get enjoyment out of doing.

I hope that helps.

No, they can't, and won't get shut down as they have a disclaimer on their website explaining that the software is free for all to access on the world wide web anyway and they DO NOT charge for this. Their prices indicate they are only charging for their labour, hardware; computers, monitors, etc. which I think is fair enough. You aren't going to get a product someone has produced for you for free. You get what you pay for. The workmanship is second to none and custom made the way you want it. Not many places do that.

Nuff said!

Edited by Brad
restored

- - - Updated - - -

No, they can't, and won't get shut down as they have a disclaimer on their website explaining that the software is free for all to access on the world wide web anyway and they DO NOT charge for this. Their prices indicate they are only charging for their labour, hardware; computers, monitors, etc. which I think is fair enough. You aren't going to get a product someone has produced for you for free. You get what you pay for. The workmanship is second to none and custom made the way you want it. Not many places do that.

Nuff said!

Cool, so what your saying is if I have a disclaimer on my website I can do whatever I want?

Awesome I can now run around and do illegal shit and get away with it

Im sure that will stand up in court, ill just tell em ballystyx on AA said it was ok if I have a disclaimer :lol

https://www.ipaustralia.gov.au/ip-for-digital-business/develop/copyright

See when you copy or reproduce, you are in fact infringing on someones copyright whether you have a disclaimer or not.

Copyright in software is infringed where a person copies/reproduces, adapts or communicates the software without the licence or authority of the copyright owner. Other infringing acts include selling infringing copies or importing those copies to sell.

Edited by prktkljokr