PDA

View Full Version : The future of pinball the hobby

pinball god
7th April 2019, 01:33 PM
How will today's pinball prices impact on the future for this hobby? How many 20-30yo can afford a game if they were interested in pinball?

angs1957
7th April 2019, 03:16 PM
You find that many enthusiasts relive their love of pinball hence a purchase at some stage when $$$$ is not a huge problem. Man of the kids growing up now were introduced into computer games, electronic games, xbox, playstation etc etc you`ll find that they don't look twice at a pinball machine let alone buy one :)

hotty
7th April 2019, 04:28 PM
It's becoming increasingly unaffordable for those that actually have the passion for it these days. I'm sure there are many pinheads that have the money but with other priorities in life which we all have just can't justify that expense on a machine. One contributing factor of high prices is the home market and not the coin op market which used to buy them in large quantities world wide. Technology has contributed to the demise of pinball and continually higher prices will eventually bury it.

pinball god
7th April 2019, 04:59 PM
That's what I think. The glimmer of hope I thought was happening with this mini resurgence in buying new, and hoping newbies could enter via the used market is gone. So yes I think you're right, it is doomed now because new blood can't get in. We killed the housing market for the next gen, and dollars will do the same for our hobby.

loki4101
7th April 2019, 05:06 PM
To expensive, I never thought id go back to building cars because its cheaper than pinball...thats just insane

Whitewater
7th April 2019, 06:24 PM
You find that many enthusiasts relive their love of pinball hence a purchase at some stage when $$$$ is not a huge problem. Man of the kids growing up now were introduced into computer games, electronic games, xbox, playstation etc etc you`ll find that they don't look twice at a pinball machine let alone buy one :)

Very very true. I've never seen anyone under the age of 40 playing a pinball on site in the last 3 years.

oldhank
7th April 2019, 06:26 PM
Very very true. I've never seen anyone under the age of 40 playing a pinball on site in the last 3 years.

Hey im 29 lol

Nicolas Noben
7th April 2019, 06:29 PM

You must be hanging out in the wrong places. Just look at competitive pinball, it's full of people under 40.

swinks
7th April 2019, 06:36 PM
I only just looked at AMD's latest prices this morning and they have appeared to go up another few hundred $ on all the newer titles. Stern's MSRP hasn't changed and the USD / AUD Dollar has changed alot since the last release, so not sure about others but the Pro's are getting a little too high to keep buying let alone the premiums and LE's.

Whitewater
7th April 2019, 06:44 PM
You must be hanging out in the wrong places. Just look at competitive pinball, it's full of people under 40.

Your probably right...I don't know anything about the competitive pinball scene, and I don't get out much either :(

- - - Updated - - -

I only just looked at AMD's latest prices this morning and they have appeared to go up another few hundred $ on all the newer titles. Stern's MSRP hasn't changed and the USD / AUD Dollar has changed alot since the last release, so not sure about others but the Pro's are getting a little too high to keep buying let alone the premiums and LE's.

Your right, the Aussie dollar has made everything heaps more expensive

hotty
7th April 2019, 06:53 PM
Hey im 29 lol

Me too :)

FLEX
7th April 2019, 07:22 PM
I loved pinball from when i was a kid, parents couldn't afford one so could only play in arcades and cafe's, most of the time scraping for 20c coins to play. The fact that I couldn't afford to buy one until i was around 35 never changed a thing.
I dont think the ability to own/purchase a pin determines whether or not you love them.

peely
7th April 2019, 07:49 PM
Plenty of games onsite now compared to a few years ago. Lots of options for $1 to 2 a game.
You donít have to buy nib games, plenty cheaper and better value.
Alternative golf is an option. Private club 15k joining and 4K subs py or alternatively $30 per play green fees. Maybe lawn bowls also ;)

Lots of variations and cheaper options in both hobbies

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

pinball god
7th April 2019, 08:23 PM
Plenty of games onsite now compared to a few years ago. Lots of options for $1 to 2 a game.
You don’t have to buy nib games, plenty cheaper and better value.
Alternative golf is an option. Private club 15k joining and 4K subs py or alternatively $30 per play green fees. Maybe lawn bowls also ;)

Lots of variations and cheaper options in both hobbies

You picked one of the more expensive golf clubs I'm thinking. Do most cost this? It's seems like me saying buy a nib and it will cost $25k when referring to b66 but I could be wrong on golf fees. Your casual fee sounds more like the regular private club fees though

RGR
7th April 2019, 08:34 PM
How will today's pinball prices impact on the future for this hobby? How many 20-30yo can afford a game if they were interested in pinball?

Thats why they need to be put on site.

Audioenslaved
7th April 2019, 08:41 PM

Time to get back into operating Richard

RGR
7th April 2019, 08:43 PM
was a bit hard when I have a bike only.... Course I aint got 100k min lying around.

hotty
8th April 2019, 07:46 AM

Start thinking outside the square, sited pinballs dont generate the revenue they once did simply because times have changed, the youth of today dont need to seek out entertainment anymore at social functions, its right there in the palm of their hand. I'll give you guys that think otherwise a little snapshot of my youth and there will be those here on AA that will relate to this. Being of ethnic background i was often going to dinner dances and weddings so all us young fellas even those that didnt know each other would leave the table between meals and go in search of arcade pinny parlours and spend our coin, The older guys would often turn up and tell us that food is being served or someones old man is looking for them so we would head back and sometimes get served a clip over the ears instead of the chicken. Now thats how we amused ourselves away from the table, not with mobile devices. All you hipsters that think you can relive those days are still looking for that app but in reality your getting further and further from that from ever happening. Siting games is not profitable for your return on investment. Investing 100K in a pinball business is destined for failure now days. That is a by gone era that some of us got to enjoy, pinball meets are the next best thing for social entertainment.

Rat
8th April 2019, 07:59 AM
Don't worry about the high prices they will come down :)

Some kids will give pinball a quick try for the novelty, but they don't have the memories of the arcades and growing up with them so will not ever be interested in buying one.

Most collectors with more than a couple of pins are in the 45 - 55 year age group, many of them will find themselves unemployed or retired in the next 5 to 10 years. Then they will suddenly realise they don't have enough super and flood the market with pinballs that no-one wants and prices will tank.

Benny
8th April 2019, 09:27 AM
I'm 33, and based on my where my life is currently at and financial situation, the days of being able to purchase and own a new pinball machine are not an option for me, and wont be for years to come.

Its unfortunate, being as passionate as I am about the hobby, and especially with all the great titles being released, but its just the way pinball is at the moment.

I remember looking at an Addams probably close to 10 years ago and the seller was after 4-5k...... Those days are long gone

Autosteve
8th April 2019, 09:29 AM
Start thinking outside the square, sited pinballs dont generate the revenue they once did simply because times have changed, the youth of today dont need to seek out entertainment anymore at social functions, its right there in the palm of their hand. I'll give you guys that think otherwise a little snapshot of my youth and there will be those here on AA that will relate to this. Being of ethnic background i was often going to dinner dances and weddings so all us young fellas even those that didnt know each other would leave the table between meals and go in search of arcade pinny parlours and spend our coin, The older guys would often turn up and tell us that food is being served or someones old man is looking for them so we would head back and sometimes get served a clip over the ears instead of the chicken. Now thats how we anused ourselves away from the table, not with mobile devices. All you hipsters that think you can relive those days are still looking for that app but in reality your getting further and further from that from ever happening. Siting games is not profitable for your return on investment. Investing 100K in a pinball business is destined for failure now days. That is a by gone era that some of us got to enjoy, pinball meets are the next best thing for social entertainment.

A lot of what you say is correct but I think there is hope. It won't be a dedicated pinball arcade you are likely to see in the future but pinballs will be in the arcade I believe.
I remember people saying pinball was dead in the mid to late 80's because of the video market impact and then the 90s happened.
The 90s revival wasn't like the last golden era of pinball in the 70's but it was profitable to operate pinballs and that is all that is required.
I'm starting to see more pinballs appearing "in the wild" so it still appears in the right location, money is being made but a build up does require time as it did in the 90s as well, not overnight.
What would help pinball?.
More pinballs in corner shops. Places like fish and chip shops where the potential player is forced to wait would help rather than places like pubs where only older people have access.
As for the pinball itself, change the appearance. Make it look different. Pinballs have looked exactly the same since the 70s. Car games don't look like they did in the 70s and neither do any machines in an arcade except pinball machines.
Don't presume the shape and appearance of a pinball can't be changed as they currently aren't wedge heads are they?

hotty
8th April 2019, 10:08 AM
Sadly you dont have to look far to see the public entertaining themsleves on a device no matter where you are. I bet if a machine were in a takeaway shop people would complain about the noise. Yes there are machines around Melbourne you can drop a coin in but I bet theyre not profitable.Kingpin one of the largest amusement centres in Melb dont have pinballs anymore its all redemption games.

DAG
8th April 2019, 10:44 AM
Now that I have read the full post. IMO, the whole thing is out of proportion...
So many ways to look at pinball and the costs associated.
In Brisvegas there are heaps of under 40's in fact under 30's as well. Maybe those down south with $2 games ($1 in Brisbane) have not realised the growth still happening. We lead the way in Australia. The talk before ACS was that down south it is hard to qualify. Here it is hard to beat the top ranked players. Off topic? Not really. Consider the below....
Aussies ranked in the top 20 that I know have involvements and commitments that vary so much it is not funny.
Our No 1 ranked player from my knowledge has no machine of his own?
Another has a prestigious looking machine probably worth 15K
Another has 3 on site, 2 in storage and close to 20 in a garage, and the pride and joy actually made it into the house.
After a dozen or so houseballs there is an age group that has (Currently) disposable income. But there are a few below and well below 40 with in excess of a dozen machines.
Some have none.
My point is that if someone really loves the pinball scene and is half smart they will see it differently. There are plenty of 20-25 year olds driving 50k - 80k 4wd's and spending 3-4 k on a stereo system?
My son is not 20 yet (He may pray harder and he might make it - lol) He already owns half a $4,500 machine and has money put aside for half a NIB (Bring Alice on Spooky) A large amount of money for a 19YO...
Yes the Aussie dollar has increased prices. Alice has gone up 10% since we placed an order all due to an 8 cent drop in the dollar. I know that some machines are over priced but basically you can still get an older fun machine for under 3k if you are prepared to look around and act quickly.
Plenty of sited machines in Brisbane and the Gold Coast. Just not many in 1 off situations like fish & chip shops.
And Travis (Old Hank) have you just turned 29 last week or are you now 30 old man. You still have a hug to collect.
All just My Opinion...

oldhank
8th April 2019, 11:12 AM
Now that I have read the full post. IMO, the whole thing is out of proportion...
So many ways to look at pinball and the costs associated.
In Brisvegas there are heaps of under 40's in fact under 30's as well. Maybe those down south with $2 games ($1 in Brisbane) have not realised the growth still happening. We lead the way in Australia. The talk before ACS was that down south it is hard to qualify. Here it is hard to beat the top ranked players. Off topic? Not really. Consider the below....
Aussies ranked in the top 20 that I know have involvements and commitments that vary so much it is not funny.
Our No 1 ranked player from my knowledge has no machine of his own?
Another has a prestigious looking machine probably worth 15K
Another has 3 on site, 2 in storage and close to 20 in a garage, and the pride and joy actually made it into the house.
After a dozen or so houseballs there is an age group that has (Currently) disposable income. But there are a few below and well below 40 with in excess of a dozen machines.
Some have none.
My point is that if someone really loves the pinball scene and is half smart they will see it differently. There are plenty of 20-25 year olds driving 50k - 80k 4wd's and spending 3-4 k on a stereo system?
My son is not 20 yet (He may pray harder and he might make it - lol) He already owns half a $4,500 machine and has money put aside for half a NIB (Bring Alice on Spooky) A large amount of money for a 19YO...
Yes the Aussie dollar has increased prices. Alice has gone up 10% since we placed an order all due to an 8 cent drop in the dollar. I know that some machines are over priced but basically you can still get an older fun machine for under 3k if you are prepared to look around and act quickly.
Plenty of sited machines in Brisbane and the Gold Coast. Just not many in 1 off situations like fish & chip shops.
And Travis (Old Hank) have you just turned 29 last week or are you now 30 old man. You still have a hug to collect.
All just My Opinion...

I turned 29 on Friday

felixthadog
8th April 2019, 12:27 PM
anused ourselves

:blink:

ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma
8th April 2019, 01:10 PM
Now thats how we anused ourselves

Ha!!! :lol

https://i.imgur.com/HsINX2E.png

ocyen
8th April 2019, 01:38 PM
Where there is passion, people will find a way. Fiona and I bought our first machine when we moved to Sydney. It was a DM for $1250. Not a lot of money to most people, but we had just moved and were very short on cash. A few months later it was a HS2 for $800. Again, not much money for some, but at this point we were totally broke. I missed the next 2 rent payments because of those machines. Point is, we found a way and made things work. As long as there are people who are passionate about the hobby I see the future of pinball as bright.

Sure, people my age may not be buying brand new machines, but you don't need a brand new machine to enjoy pinball anyway. I don't see the future of pinball being tied to the sale of brand new machines.

I don't think growing up with electronic games has much to do with it either. I grew up on console and PC gaming but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy pinball. There is a degree of ageism in pinball which I think is misdirected.

The bigger issue with the future of pinball is the repairability of machines. But that's another topic altogether.

hotty
8th April 2019, 01:53 PM
Anal spell checkers, get a life! Fabian and Maffew

pinball god
8th April 2019, 03:47 PM
Start thinking outside the square, sited pinballs dont generate the revenue they once did simply because times have changed, the youth of today dont need to seek out entertainment anymore at social functions, its right there in the palm of their hand. I'll give you guys that think otherwise a little snapshot of my youth and there will be those here on AA that will relate to this. Being of ethnic background i was often going to dinner dances and weddings so all us young fellas even those that didnt know each other would leave the table between meals and go in search of arcade pinny parlours and spend our coin, The older guys would often turn up and tell us that food is being served or someones old man is looking for them so we would head back and sometimes get served a clip over the ears instead of the chicken. Now thats how we anused ourselves away from the table, not with mobile devices. All you hipsters that think you can relive those days are still looking for that app but in reality your getting further and further from that from ever happening. Siting games is not profitable for your return on investment. Investing 100K in a pinball business is destined for failure now days. That is a by gone era that some of us got to enjoy, pinball meets are the next best thing for social entertainment.

The last time I had anything in my palm my mother told me to stop or I'd go blind lol

- - - Updated - - -

I'm 33, and based on my where my life is currently at and financial situation, the days of being able to purchase and own a new pinball machine are not an option for me, and wont be for years to come.

Its unfortunate, being as passionate as I am about the hobby, and especially with all the great titles being released, but its just the way pinball is at the moment.

I remember looking at an Addams probably close to 10 years ago and the seller was after 4-5k...... Those days are long gone

That's sad to hear and or hobby may go to the "fortunate" rich people and I wonder how many of them will hold meets for us plebs

RGR
8th April 2019, 03:51 PM

Online poker/live poker. Why would anyone go into the casino to play when they can play online? Times have changed sure, but people still like getting out of the house. The 90s took off due to innovation and if something great is created then I cant see why it cant take off again. The issue is that nothings really changed in pinball. There isnt anything new out there. Its all the same stuff. Its been around for almost 100 years... If they were just innovative it could be around longer than the home/collector market will.

KJS
8th April 2019, 03:55 PM
In all seriousness, I can't believe how depressing and f....ing gloomy some of you lot are...its a niche hobby, with even more niches inside it with eras etc. Accept it and enjoy it for what it is. If people want to get into they can on many levels. I would love a 70ft Catamaran but it won't happen and I've accepted it!

Cheer up and stop the bad vibes!

pinball god
8th April 2019, 04:02 PM
Where there is passion, people will find a way. Fiona and I bought our first machine when we moved to Sydney. It was a DM for $1250. Not a lot of money to most people, but we had just moved and were very short on cash. A few months later it was a HS2 for $800. Again, not much money for some, but at this point we were totally broke. I missed the next 2 rent payments because of those machines. Point is, we found a way and made things work. As long as there are people who are passionate about the hobby I see the future of pinball as bright.

Sure, people my age may not be buying brand new machines, but you don't need a brand new machine to enjoy pinball anyway. I don't see the future of pinball being tied to the sale of brand new machines.

I don't think growing up with electronic games has much to do with it either. I grew up on console and PC gaming but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy pinball. There is a degree of ageism in pinball which I think is misdirected.

The bigger issue with the future of pinball is the repairability of machines. But that's another topic altogether.

I can't condone your ideas on missing rent payments to fund games. The landlord wouldn't like your attitude. It's a bit like me justifying a pinball purchase buy robbing grannies around my neighbourhood. Pinball as an addiction is not healthy just like booze or drugs etc. I think our hobby is a little out of control via pricing, ways in which some attain them, used as status symbols etc and we have lost the essence of the hobby.

Gemini2544
8th April 2019, 04:04 PM
I've still got farmer mates have never seen a pinball machine as kids & now as adults don't even play mine for free because they don't know how. They have no interest to learn either.

RGR
8th April 2019, 04:10 PM
I've still got farmer mates have never seen a pinball machine as kids & now as adults don't even play mine for free because they don't know how. They have no interest to learn either.

The gamble has gone in pinball.... thats the problem.. well one of them anyway.

pinball god
8th April 2019, 04:17 PM

If we're passionate about pinball and are the real deal, I'd be teaching the kids the game. I rarely play my games when I have non pinball people around. I let them play and give them tips, praise Good shots, make light of sparky being activated etc. I can't think of anything more boring for a non pinball person playing for 10 seconds and then watch an old fart show off for 10 minutes on one ball.

Gemini2544
8th April 2019, 04:27 PM
If we're passionate about pinball and are the real deal, I'd be teaching the kids the game. I rarely play my games when I have non pinball people around. I let them play and give them tips, praise Good shots, make light of sparky being activated etc. I can't think of anything more boring for a non pinball person playing for 10 seconds and then watch an old fart show off for 10 minutes on one ball.

The old you can feed the man fish or teach him to catch fish lesson eh!

oldhank
8th April 2019, 04:55 PM
The old you can feed the man fish or teach him to catch fish lesson eh!

I play a lot at timezone at coolangatta and at surfers paradise and i cant count the times i see young kids walk up to a machine swipe there cards press the fliper button for 5 or 6 seconds nothing happens so they walk off

Gemini2544
8th April 2019, 04:58 PM
I play a lot at timezone at coolangatta and at surfers paradise and i cant count the times i see young kids walk up to a machine swipe their cards, press the flipper button for 5 or 6 seconds nothing happens so they walk off

Yep, the current generation sure are a dumb bunch! :lol

toads
8th April 2019, 05:07 PM
I play a lot at timezone at coolangatta and at surfers paradise and i cant count the times i see young kids walk up to a machine swipe there cards press the fliper button for 5 or 6 seconds nothing happens so they walk off
That would be heartbreaking to any pinhead to see.

Gemini2544
8th April 2019, 05:19 PM
That would be heartbreaking to any pinhead to see.
Not really, once the kid walks off you have a free game to play..:)

hotty
8th April 2019, 05:30 PM

There's your innovation right there, just make them a gambling device and watch the resurgence and popularity grow.

RGR
8th April 2019, 05:46 PM
Lol they always have been a gambling device :p

oldhank
8th April 2019, 06:11 PM
Not really, once the kid walks off you have a free game to play..:)

Na i tell em you have to press the start button

Gemini2544
8th April 2019, 06:14 PM
Na i tell em you have to press the start button
And give them a hug..:lol

oldhank
8th April 2019, 06:18 PM

Na lol

ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma
8th April 2019, 06:28 PM

Awkward... :blink:

Autosteve
8th April 2019, 07:03 PM

And right there is a young person that will never play or attempt to play a machine that looks like that ever again.

You have no idea how big a problem that exact scenario was when we went from self starting EMs to push to start SS machines.

In many arcades I worked in I often heard young kids say to each other, owe that is just a pinball. It didn't matter if it was brand new or 10 years old, the perception was already there. I strongly believe it is the overall shape of the machine that is doing harm.

There is a golden rule in the arcade business and that is getting potential players to actually look at your machine is over half the problem because if they don't even look at it, they won't put money in it.

I'm not going to mention figures here but we went from Taito 20" converted to 25" tube upright video machines and put the exact same game boards in newer, different looking LAI video cabinets with the exact same tubes in them and those exact same games made more money, significantly more money.

That is the impact of appearance a machine has on earnings.

Wotto
8th April 2019, 07:10 PM
Nothing like a massive doom and gloom thread hey :x :realmad:

Apparently we are all gunna be unemployed and "we" buggered up the housing market for these poor young millenials too ( that's odd because I'm still paying mine off ).

Jesus, can we not be happy with where we are at whether we have one game or 48 games, pretty privileged bunch, all of us here.... and we are in a hobby that provides fun entertainment, allows us to relive childhood memories, meet like minded folk and have a laugh.

I work with guys who pour more $ into old cars than they do into their home and family, those cars days of desire are also numbered because of the same generation that doesn't want pinball.... know of any 2 year olds today that will pay $120plus K for GTRXu1 in 30 years from now?

Lighten up, buy a game if you want. Don't if you don't want to.Aint it that easy ? Accept it for what it is TODAY and be happy with your purchase. And for the non owners, just be grateful to those that are buying, do own, do share their games and homes. Thats a great community.

Rat
8th April 2019, 07:55 PM
If anyone read my post about pinball prices tanking in 5-10 years and thought it was a grumble or doom and gloom or that I'm not happy then you read me wrong. I only have 4 pinballs and I might even downsize to to 3 soon. I enjoy playing mine and my video games and I can afford to buy more but I'm not going to expand past 3 or 4 pins and a few video games.

If prices tank before I get too old to be interested or I move onto another hobby I might buy more, but only one or two.

Price makes little difference to me, I was just stating what I think will happen, not having a grumble :)

Koops
8th April 2019, 09:09 PM
Nothing like a massive doom and gloom thread hey :x :realmad:

Apparently we are all gunna be unemployed and "we" buggered up the housing market for these poor young millenials too ( that's odd because I'm still paying mine off ).

Some industries are being hit right now though.

Weíre going through a thanos snap(tm) period atm.

My work just cut 45 guys from my department (~110 originally) and 3 from my team :/ And these are just this weeks cuts! The week before I lost another 3 guys.

Even worse that Iíve got more externally billed work than I can poke a stick at with 2 clients in waiting in the queue. Management have decided to cut back on everything as a storm is coming.

Iím still optimistic for the work I do and should be able to move to another sector easy enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sleazius
8th April 2019, 10:10 PM
Self fulfilling prophecy. Sentiment is a funny thing. Never understood businesses trying to get ahead of the curve by laying people off before they need to. They literally cause their own demise.

Widespread automation is coming, but it ain’t here yet.

Whitewater
8th April 2019, 10:18 PM
There was a Deadpool pin at the local cinema and it had something wrong with it, so it was basically on 'free play' just kept giving you new games. After 20 minutes I had to go. As I walked out I saw a group of young boys, I told them about the machine and pointed to it so they could have some free fun to. They looked at me with absolute contempt, laughed and then walked over to some arcade game and started shovelling in $2 coins :120: like it was going out of fashion. I felt like a fool. When I was their age I was careful about shelling out 20 cent pieces, but I had to work for it Ö maybe that makes a difference :017:

Defender
8th April 2019, 10:43 PM
Thats one of the reasons i'm into pinball, cars were too dear. Four, or five NIB would buy a half descent car.

To expensive, I never thought id go back to building cars because its cheaper than pinball...thats just insane

Koops
8th April 2019, 10:45 PM
Self fulfilling prophecy. Sentiment is a funny thing. Never understood businesses trying to get ahead of the curve by laying people off before they need to. They literally cause their own demise.

Widespread automation is coming, but it ainít here yet.

Your going to love this then.

*drumroll*

We ARE the automation department! *sigh*

If anyone thought they were safe it was us! *bzzzt* wrong!

oldhank
8th April 2019, 11:16 PM
There was a Deadpool pin at the local cinema and it had something wrong with it, so it was basically on 'free play' just kept giving you new games. After 20 minutes I had to go. As I walked out I saw a group of young boys, I told them about the machine and pointed to it so they could have some free fun to. They looked at me with absolute contempt, laughed and then walked over to some arcade game and started shovelling in $2 coins :120: like it was going out of fashion. I felt like a fool. When I was their age I was careful about shelling out 20 cent pieces, but I had to work for it Ö maybe that makes a difference :017:

Cheeky buggers

loki4101
9th April 2019, 12:08 AM
Thats one of the reasons i'm into pinball, cars were too dear. Four, or five NIB would buy a half descent car.

Depends what your into, I just got a 1940 Vauxhall for $6300, Thats half what some of the pins I want are.

jason_giant89
9th April 2019, 02:12 AM
Me too :)

me, also :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

A new generation of Pinhead are forming. Community & Tournaments/meets will keep this hobby alive. If prices tank, Pinball will only become more accessible & grow in popularity.

Rob1966
9th April 2019, 05:59 AM
I canít wait until prices tank the investors have f@cked this hobby up, when I first got into collecting pins I thought they were pricey then but now they are ridiculous to the point where only the cashed up can afford.
Even the bloody basket case projects are starting to be stupidly overpriced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nickfigures
9th April 2019, 06:38 AM
"Investors f#@king the hobby" ??
Are people really investing in these things as a way to make money or just to collect and enjoy. The 3 people I know with the largest collections, Leigh, Dan and Rotordave do more for the hobby than anyone. Are they the investors we should hate? The reason these machines have gone up so much over the last 10 years is a combination of supply and demand coupled with the fact that most people in the hobby are around 50 and usually mortgage free and making good money. Nice one

Wotto
9th April 2019, 07:00 AM
Pretty sure he would have meant Stern business investors, expecting more all the time. Hence price rises flow through and drag ALL prices up.

Audioenslaved
9th April 2019, 07:48 AM
The alternative was have no investors and no JJP AND Stern. But the investors have grown Strrn and grown their programming department and they’re coming along really well there with Tanyo, Tim and probably others. So what if our toys cost more I say

- - - Updated - - -

We don’t do our jobs for free so why should Stern or JJP be any different?

Rob1966
9th April 2019, 07:58 AM
There far from free donít worry weíre paying for them and then some, it blows me away that some people think that skyrocketed prices are a good thing for a hobby far from it, it just isolates the hobby to a set few.

Audioenslaved
9th April 2019, 08:25 AM
I know 10 years ago I was earning HALF of what I’m earning today. 10 years ago dollar was nearly parity too.

toads
9th April 2019, 09:51 AM
The alternative was have no investors and no JJP AND Stern. But the investors have grown Strrn and grown their programming department and theyíre coming along really well there with Tanyo, Tim and probably others. So what if our toys cost more I say

- - - Updated - - -

We donít do our jobs for free so why should Stern or JJP be any different?

And yet we still wait for pins with uncompleted code.
Yep there coming along really well;)

Gemini2544
9th April 2019, 10:26 AM
I still reckon the best part is finding an old EM rotting away in an old shed, getting it home for a couple of hundred bucks & spending a few months fixing it. I really like doing this, but buying a 10K or 15K machine just to flip is utter madness IMO.

peely
9th April 2019, 10:35 AM
I still reckon the best part is finding an old EM rotting away in an old shed, getting it home for a couple of hundred bucks & spending a few months fixing it. I really like doing this, but buying a 10K or 15K machine just to flip is utter madness IMO.
EMís get boring real quick. I love them but they have really narrow objectives compared to later games and are quite linear in their goals. One of my top 10 games would be jetspin btw. If you play a lot of pinball, itís good to have depth in a home Machine, but yeah 10 years ago I preferred doing what you do, finding them, fixing them and selling them. Once I even enjoyed the fixing more than the playing
I get sick of even later stern games now as lot of rulesets are duplicated. I donít buy to flip only to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=90390)

Rob1966
9th April 2019, 10:40 AM
I love my EMs all lined up even when their not turned on they all just look so beautiful

Gemini2544
9th April 2019, 10:42 AM
EMís get boring real quick. I love them but they have really narrow objectives compared to later games and are quite linear in their goals. One of my top 10 games would be jetspin btw. If you play a lot of pinball, itís good to have depth in a home Machine, but yeah 10 years ago I preferred doing what you do, finding them, fixing them and selling them. Once I even enjoyed the fixing more than the playing
I get sick of even later stern games now as lot of rulesets are duplicated. I donít buy to flip only to play.
Yes, I know what you're saying, I have a Williams I.J that I barely play anymore. The thing is the rule set is too much work, I like to play a EM and not have to think about what I need to do next. I'm just getting too old & lazy I'm guessing..:lol

Glenn70
9th April 2019, 10:50 AM
I like to play a EM and not have to think about what I need to do next. I'm just getting too old & lazy I'm guessing..:lol

There's actually truth in that. I feel the same way at times.

DAG
12th April 2019, 07:36 AM
Depends what your into, I just got a 1940 Vauxhall for $6300, Thats half what some of the pins I want are.

I can't imagine any pinball that old being that much?
How much does a Vauxhall cost new today....Do they still exist?
Did Pinball outlive them?

oldhank
12th April 2019, 08:00 AM
I can't imagine any pinball that old being that much?
How much does a Vauxhall cost new today....Do they still exist?
Did Pinball outlive them?

They are still around

yamumsfat
12th April 2019, 05:48 PM
Itís what floats your boat....stop whinging ....younger people today think nothing about having the latest $2000 phone...$200 shirts on afterpay and drinking $25 cocktails 3 days a week till 3 in the morning...Iíve got a great pinball collection dressed in a $5 target T-shirt drinking beer at home...you choose your lifestyle...yes thereís plenty of people out there charging too much....but thereís plenty that will sell at the right money if you save up and pay cash and donít dick them around...itís a trend and those that can afford it will pay...if you want to get into it change what you need to allow you to do it...

hotty
12th April 2019, 06:43 PM
me, also :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

A new generation of Pinhead are forming. Community & Tournaments/meets will keep this hobby alive. If prices tank, Pinball will only become more accessible & grow in popularity.

That's right and that's how it was a long time ago. There was always the "A" list games that were always a couple of K more but games were on sold by operators because they recouped their value in games played and were replaced with new machines, that was arcade entertainment then. The landscape is changing and the mind set of people in this hobby have to just accept it. There are those that purchase NIB that can't accept the fact that used machines will fall in value, and the reason is economical, it's not anybody being pessimistic or doomsday predictors.

All this talk of a cashless society, if and when how will this affect the used market?

billstats
17th April 2019, 05:02 PM

yes , mine is a similar story , i bought my first pinball an old gottlieb e.m back in 1999 ,but after that i scored a better job etc , kids grow up etc , & then you find yourself with a little disposable income ...affordable pins come up from time to time ..

Ayanami
24th May 2019, 01:00 AM
Surely most people back in the day didn’t buy machines but played them at arcades?

angs1957
24th May 2019, 10:34 PM
Surely most people back in the day didn’t buy machines but played them at arcades?

Arcade centers were a dime a dozen I remember being 4 or 5 large places that catered for pinball, pool and arcade all within walking distance of each other.

RGR
24th May 2019, 10:39 PM

Unheard of to have a NIB in your house....

Autosteve
24th May 2019, 11:01 PM

It was certainly rare but no unheard of. I went out to do a house repair to do a Bally El Toro EM and was shocked to see a NIB FirePower beside it. Had to be NIB because it was the latest machine or maybe Blackout was just released.
They said it was bought new none the less and after fixing the El Toro asked if I could check it.
Amazingly, there was no speech but it had sound. I opened up the head to see if it was one of the super rare in Australia machines that to save money had no speech board fitted.
No, speech board fitted and plugged in. Checked further, dip switches in the wrong position. Set them correctly and bamm, machine now had speech.
The owners nearly fell off the re chairs. They had no idea this machine was the second to be able to talk in fact, they had no idea pinballs were able to talk.
That made me think. These people had never bought this machine for one of it's best features. They just bought a brand new pinball and had no idea.
I often wondered who was the bad salesman that sold the machine in the first place.

Arcade King
25th May 2019, 08:29 AM
Yeah it all started to become popular around 15-16 years ago just before AA started (and this is why AA started) where 80's/90's Arcade machines were becoming readily available and most importantly affordable to the public at cheap prices and with Ebay being so popular it became the dumping ground for retro stuff. That's how a lot of us started and it was an amazing nostalgic feeling owing machine's from a real Arcade.
Fast forward a few years and 80/90's SS/DMD Pinballs came flooding in from Europe cheap and here we are.....

toads
25th May 2019, 12:01 PM
Poppycock

quincon
27th May 2019, 09:51 AM
$30k for a Beatles, which in my opinion is a crap game is ridiculous. Prices need to come back down to reality

peely
27th May 2019, 09:56 AM
$30k for a Beatles, which in my opinion is a crap game is ridiculous. Prices need to come back down to reality

Beatles, In my opinion is a great game ;) opinions, you know...
Simple supply and demand determines price. If somethingís not ďworthĒ the price asked, it needs to come down to be sold. Thatís why the Beatles platinum hasnít sold for 22k.

Wrong equilibrium demand and supply.

toads
27th May 2019, 10:27 AM

Who is this dashing young fellow next to an almost brand new Hankin Howzat in his house back in 81'
Sexy legs don't you think Rich:)

Gemini2544
27th May 2019, 10:39 AM
Who is this dashing young fellow next to an almost brand new Hankin Howzat in his house back in 81'

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=148559
Is he's pretending to be Elton John from the Tommy movie, wired his keyboard to the pin's flippers. :lol

RGR
27th May 2019, 11:21 AM

not sure i would turn gay for you... :p

quincon
27th May 2019, 11:41 AM
Beatles, In my opinion is a great game ;) opinions, you know...
Simple supply and demand determines price. If something’s not “worth” the price asked, it needs to come down to be sold. That’s why the Beatles platinum hasn’t sold for 22k.

Wrong equilibrium demand and supply.

Beatles is funny like that. Some people love it, some hate it. I am the latter but that's an individual thing

Rob1966
27th May 2019, 11:45 AM
I donít think the machine is to bad itís the prices I donít like, if your not in a well paid job these days you just canít justify spending that sort of money on a toy.

Cursed
27th May 2019, 07:25 PM

Looks like the only thing that has changed since is the wallpaper and your hair! :laugh:

not sure i would turn gay for you... :p

Turn??? :lol

newy16216
27th May 2019, 08:32 PM

Great photo you haven't changed a bit

pinball god
29th May 2019, 11:56 AM

it's photos like these that has put this hobby in jeopardy lol

ajfclark
29th May 2019, 12:02 PM

Kind of happy that's not focussed. That's a lot of leg.

DAG
29th May 2019, 12:46 PM
That is so 1970's
Even the wallpaper reminds me of my youth.
Do you really still have hair?
Pretty cheeky considering I have more hair on my face than my head...
And often that is as about as focused the little brownie camera gets...Unless you could afford a Real camera...One with a battery to allow you to focus properly...
However if you could afford a camera like that then you might as well have purchased a NIB pinnie instead....

Great choice, bad decor,
Great memories...