PDA

View Full Version : That "wow" factor

jockdownunder
26th September 2007, 06:02 PM
Its been a long time since I have had the wow factor,by this I mean you know your playing something earth shattering.

Gaming moments like this happened regular when I was a teenager in the 80's,and from time to time in the 90's,and since the turn of the century . . . .

I suppose as much as I love games I dont do them the way I used to,just not enough time in the day anymore,but do you think its the case of there isnt anymore new ground to break ?

Here is a quick "wow" factor list

Elite - Sinclair ZX spectrum
Knight Lore - Sinclair ZX Spectrum
Space harrier - Arcade
Turrican - Amiga
Final fantasy 7 - psone
Mario 64 - N64 (best game ever)
Goldeneye - N64 (2nd best game ever)
Grand theft auto series - Various

schmake
26th September 2007, 07:34 PM
Whilst not a game, I think that the Wii has pretty much got some degree of Wow factor. Its the first time I've been able to get my Dad to play a game with me since the first Road Rash on MegaDrive and my Mum since Guzzler on the Amstrad CPC464!
Controls that are easy to get into and fun to play is pretty ground breaking to me, and I think that both Sony and MS are going WOW at how its selling atm

Mikie
26th September 2007, 09:02 PM
pong - generic home console
space invades - arcade
octopus - game and watch
knight lore - zx spectrum
dragons lair - arcade
wolfenstein 3D - pc
TAF - pinball
mario 64 - nintendo 64 just beautiful

the wii looks cool

would have liked to see the 3D virtual reality stuff work, tried a few in the arcades but it just didn't do it for me, some type of immersion into a 3D environment would be cool

Nidzdotnet
26th September 2007, 09:09 PM
Contra - NES
Turok - PC
Half-Life 1 on the PC

jockdownunder
26th September 2007, 09:34 PM
:103:
Whilst not a game, I think that the Wii has pretty much got some degree of Wow factor. Its the first time I've been able to get my Dad to play a game with me since the first Road Rash on MegaDrive and my Mum since Guzzler on the Amstrad CPC464!
Controls that are easy to get into and fun to play is pretty ground breaking to me, and I think that both Sony and MS are going WOW at how its selling atm

I should have put the Wii in actually,it does have some wow factor.I had a family round for dinner/piss up a few months back,and the groans went up when I said lets play with my new toy.At 3am I couldnt get them out the door,they were all playing wii sports and loving it.

pong - generic home console
space invades - arcade
octopus - game and watch
knight lore - zx spectrum
dragons lair - arcade
wolfenstein 3D - pc
TAF - pinball
mario 64 - nintendo 64 just beautiful

the wii looks cool

would have liked to see the 3D virtual reality stuff work, tried a few in the arcades but it just didn't do it for me, some type of immersion into a 3D environment would be cool

Isnt it amazing to think something like a game and watch had you :o ! Wasnt knight lore just the most amazing looking game ever (for its time)

I agree with your point on VR,but there have been some developments recently.This is a prototype from toshiba

http://www.afdigitale.it/Foto.aspx?fotonews=1&id=12589

Mikie
26th September 2007, 09:54 PM
Isnt it amazing to think something like a game and watch had you :o ! Wasnt knight lore just the most amazing looking game ever (for its time)

at the time it sure did, played it for ages, wanted one for like forever, i've got a couple game and watches but octopus is the memory

knight lore - played it to death, admired the development skill, most ported game ever i think

jockdownunder
26th September 2007, 10:26 PM
[QUOTE=
knight lore - played it to death, admired the development skill, most ported game ever i think[/QUOTE]

Good point ,now let me think

batman
head over heels
sweevo's world
spindizzy
bobby bearing
Alien8 (EXACTLY the same game in a sci fi skin)
every second game by mastertronic

Give me long enough I will come up with plenty more !

Mikie
26th September 2007, 11:18 PM
Good point ,now let me think

batman
head over heels
sweevo's world
spindizzy
bobby bearing
Alien8 (EXACTLY the same game in a sci fi skin)
every second game by mastertronic

Give me long enough I will come up with plenty more !

I'll have to check them over time as most are unknown to me.

Y'know I still play the retrospec re-creation of head over heels from time to time :D still can't complete one section

http://retrospec.sgn.net/games/hoh/

pc version exe

http://retrospec.sgn.net/games/hoh/bin/HeadOverHeels10.exe

Crafty
26th September 2007, 11:20 PM
I loved Turok for the N64, as well as Mario Cart. There was something inherently good in mario cart after a few beers with the mates...

Fair Dinkum Dan
26th September 2007, 11:29 PM
If there was ever a PC game that had the WOW factor for me, then it would definitely have had to of been Wolfenstein 3-D. Never really played anything else before or after on PC, even though Abe's Odyssey looked rather cool.

Cheers,

Dan :cool:

radirgyman
27th September 2007, 12:46 AM
HUge WOW factor was Dragons lair back in the day when everything else was pixelated shite.

Brootal
27th September 2007, 01:01 AM
Yea good bit of wow factor in the 80s, some in the early nineties, but I can't think of anything since.

Not going to try to list wow games, too many years, too many beers.

The Wii is kinda cool, but wasn't an overly wow for me. haven't actually got one yet, but I know how they work, I've worked on that type of technology before.

dmworking247
27th September 2007, 07:36 AM
I was really 'wowed' by Doom when it first came out for PCs and the best graphics in a '3d' game were Wolf3D to date. Even though the characters were still pixelated, the fact that there were stairs, raised platforms, lifts, water and green ooze, big weapons... and it wouldnt run on most peoples PCs was pretty impressive.

Speaking of 3D the original 'Alone in the Dark' on PC impressed me - first true 3d PC game of its kind that I can think of.

Savage
27th September 2007, 07:53 AM
For me it was Buggy Boy and Nebulus on the C64..

Then Wings on the Amiga.,.. loved that game..
Also Super Hang-On, purely it was such a great conversion.!

Gav
27th September 2007, 08:06 AM
Most recent WOW factor was about a week ago when I walked into an arcade(tuns o fun at elizabeth).I looked around and said WOW look at all this CRAP!!mostly skiltesters,dance machines,no pins at all.Only decent games were a few driving sims.Used to be WOW look at all this cool new stuff every time you walked into an arcade.

IMPURE
27th September 2007, 08:59 AM
The new bioshock on xbox 360 :)

Nidzdotnet
27th September 2007, 01:24 PM
Oh wait I got another one.. I rememebr the first time i saw the game Another World on the PC.. I thoguht wow.. that's awesome.. 3d graphics on the intro movie and everything when the guy drives up tot he building and cracks open a can of coke etc... Also Prince of Persia. First time I saw that I was impressed..

Also when I was at a computer swap meet and saw Quake test running I rember thinking what the heck is that and what kind of beasty computer do you need to get cool graphics liek that..