PDA

View Full Version : WinXPPro..again

arcadus
21st September 2007, 08:48 AM
Hi Guys, thanks for the help in the past but this is ongoing. Firstly doesn't WinXPPro have word? I can't find word only wordpad, I bought this for word. Also the screenscroll has changed from scrolling in an orderly fashion to scrolling in waves. I don't like it, makes me seasick after a while. I looked in mouse and display and can't find anything relevant. Where should I be looking?

cejay
21st September 2007, 08:52 AM
Microsoft Word has been a separate product to the standard Windows OS versions for as long as I can remember. You will need to get Microsoft Office XP, 2003 or 2007 if you want Word, Excel etc.

Not sure about the scrolling issue, it has never bothered me. Will try and get some info on that.

Nidzdotnet
21st September 2007, 09:08 AM
... If you can't afford (or get a copy of) Office, try Open Office as an alternative. It's free as well.

The Pinny Parlour
21st September 2007, 09:10 AM
www.openoffice.org Great altenative to MS office and is fully compatible with it's .doc, .xls, .ppt extensions. It save directly to .pdf if you wish too. did I mention that it is FREE?

cejay
21st September 2007, 09:12 AM
Wow, thanks for the tip guys. Never tried Open Office before. :)

arcadus
21st September 2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks Cejay, I think I've confused Office with Pro, and the scrolling seems less controllable especially when clicking the wheel, moving the mouse sends the screen up or down wildly unless I move very carefully.
Thanks as well guys. You're all posting while I'm still typing, this forum beats the hell out of waffling around in Microsoft support for hours without result.

Savage
21st September 2007, 10:21 AM
The scrolling issue sounds like you got smooth scrolling turned on.Turn this off and all be good again.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/accessibility/smoothscrolling.mspx
or
http://www.xpfreedom.com/Sections+index-req-viewarticle-artid-2-page-1.html

The Pinny Parlour
21st September 2007, 10:25 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_office

XiTaU
21st September 2007, 01:38 PM
scrolling in waves sounds like you dont have graphics drivers installed to me. Check that your graphics card drives are installed correctly.

xygt
21st September 2007, 07:21 PM
Star Office used to be free years ago.
I've got version 6 someone, which also supports macros.

cazanth1
29th September 2007, 06:18 PM
a friend of mine :cool: just downloaded office and serial numbers off the net, has had no problems

The Pinny Parlour
29th September 2007, 07:12 PM
a friend of mine :cool: just downloaded office and serial numbers off the net, has had no problems

Gawd, why? Open Office is free.

Arcade King
29th September 2007, 07:16 PM
Gawd, why? Open Office is free.

I downloaded Open Office and it was top shelf stuff...Free Too. cheers for the link.

Nidzdotnet
2nd October 2007, 01:54 PM
I gotta say that I prefer Office 2003 to the new Office XP. It just plain sucks.. the usability and layout is the worst ever.. they changed what already worked just for the hell of it..

Open Office is good though for the funcionality of doing what Office does for $700 or whatever they charge these days for it.

Brootal
2nd October 2007, 01:57 PM
they changed what already worked just for the hell of it..

Typical microsoft design philosophy.

Open office is the go, I use it at home exclusively now. There are a couple of things I miss in the spreadsheet compared with excel, but at the price difference I'll live with that.