PDA

View Full Version : Sega System 16 Bootleg Fun



Arcade King
20th September 2007, 09:16 PM
Thought I'd show you my new game I just programmed up Aurail.

Game uses 27 1 megabit roms and 1 32k. As I found out these system 16 rom boards when using 1 meg roms that are 27c1000, A pain in the are non Jedec rom.
I managed to scrape together enough 27c1000's to do the 4 program roms but that was it. I decided to use 27c010(57c1000, 27c101) I had plenty of them I've pulled from CPS1 crap.
Using these roms means I had to modify the Scroll, Speech and Object address 16 and OE(Output enable). which are the 2 pins that are different between the 27c1000 and 010.

JEDEC 128k x 8 EPROM 27C010
Vpp 1 +-v-+ 32 Vcc
A16 2 | | 31 pgm/
A15 3 | | 30 nc
A12 4 | | 29 A14
A7 5 | | 28 A13
A6 6 | | 27 A8
A5 7 | | 26 A9
A4 8 | | 25 A11
A3 9 | | 24 OE/
A2 10 | | 23 A10
A1 11 | | 22 CE/
A0 12 | | 21 D7
D0 13 | | 20 D6
D1 14 | | 19 D5
D2 15 | | 18 D4
GND 16 +---+ 17 D3

(1M) 128k x 8 EPROM (NH27C301)
(NEC27C1000)
Vpp +-v-+ 32 Vcc
OE 2 | | 31 PGM/
A15 3 | | 30 nc
A12 4 | | 29 A14
A7 5 | | 28 A13
A6 6 | | 27 A8
A5 7 | | 26 A9
A4 8 | | 25 A11
A3 9 | | 24 A16
A2 10 | | 23 A10
A1 11 | | 22 CE/
A0 12 | | 21 D7
D0 13 | | 20 D6
D1 14 | | 19 D5
D2 15 | | 18 D4
GND 16 +---+ 17 D3

As you can see pin 2 and 24 have to be switched. IMO its easier to modify the rom board than track down enough 27c1000's.
There was a tiny trace grounding pin 2 on each rom which had to be cut then had to trace pin 24 back and make another cut for each individual bank which is...
twenty 1 meg roms for object (sprites)
six 1 meg for scroll (background)
one 1 meg for voice and a 256 bit for music/sound fx
four 1 meg roms for program (music and program I didn't modify)
See attachment 1 for the mod i did rest are pics of the game running and of another game i put together awhile back Wonderboy 3 which uses considerably less roms that Aurail,
eight 512 bit roms for object
two 1 meg for program
three 512 bit for scroll and one 256 for music/sound fx.
Wonderboy 3 roms encryption uses a suicide z80 which some guys cracked, Madmike was kind enough to edit the hackers names out of the title screen and restore it back to Sega/Westone :)

See its not all doom and gloom if your boards die :)

Berty
20th September 2007, 09:21 PM
Awesome work! Are the cracked roms actually de-crypted versions or just bootlegs?

Johns-Arcade
20th September 2007, 09:35 PM
Nice work Trav :023:

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Arcade King
20th September 2007, 09:48 PM
Awesome work! Are the cracked roms actually de-crypted versions or just bootlegs?

Just unprotected versions of the game's

Few other unprotected games I considered

Alien syndrome..meh common
Bayroute.....crap

Aurail is a awesome looking game that really shows off what the hardware is capable of.

Golden Axe, E-Swat are a few games that use a different type of rom board with some funky custom on it so I dunno about converting them.

Davefjedi
21st September 2007, 08:02 AM
Admit it you saw the Mech in it and said ohhh robots i love this game
Trav you have more patience than a saint repairing stuff Im going to buy you a ribbon

Crafty
21st September 2007, 10:04 AM
I really have no idea what it all means except that you have saved a board from the junk heap. Well done..:D

Arcade King
21st September 2007, 03:24 PM
Admit it you saw the Mech in it and said ohhh robots i love this game
Trav you have more patience than a saint repairing stuff Im going to buy you a ribbon

Yeah I like robots and stuff so what :p


I really have no idea what it all means except that you have saved a board from the junk heap. Well done..:D

I do it more out of boredom than anything, it probably wont get played..

Womble
10th October 2010, 05:41 PM
I just got round to fixing my attempt at this Aurail conversion, bought a job lot of eproms ages ago and tacked on 20 or so 27c1000s for this purpose. Had a tatty Golden Axe rom top with non original ROMs, sh1tty old stickers and missing caps that I wanted to convert. So spent the half hour or so burning the new ROMs and fired the board up only to get it half working, the game RAN but the sounds were messed up and the enemy sprites were black bars with rolling corruption. Couldn't be bothered to dump and check all the ROMs so it sat on the shelf for a while, got round to it to day and found all the ROMs checked out and were in the right place. It turn out I did have to change the jumpers for this one. Found a decent image of the board and followed its jumper pattern, so here it is for Aurail and Golden Axe.

Aurail
====
s1 0
s2 1

s12 1
s11 0
s10 1
s9 0

s18 0
s17 1
s14 0
s13 1
s4 1
s3 0
s16 0
s15 1

s5 1
s19 0
s6 0

s7 0
s8 1

Golden Axe
=======
s1 0
s2 1

s12 0
s11 1
s10 0
s9 1

s18 0
s17 1
s14 0
s13 1
s4 0
s3 1
s16 0
s15 1

s5 0
s19 1
s6 1

s7 1
s8 0

Depending on what the source game was for the conversion you may or may not need to change things. Aurail runs like a charm now :)