PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Video Game System Disasters

The Pinny Parlour
12th September 2007, 12:59 PM
http://www.gunslot.com/blog/top-ten-10-video-game-system-disasters

Controversy amongst some here?

dmworking247
12th September 2007, 01:14 PM
I remember thinking 'dont go there' as soon as I heard about the N-Gage. It reaked of a greedy company trying to grab a piece of the portable gaming market with no experience and nothing special to offer.

Regarding the other platforms, many of them (were) technically superior products but failed to get the simple things right, like accessible price point, intuitive controls, launching on time and obtaining good titles/3rd party support.

I wonder if in a few years Sony PS3 will end up on this list, given its overpriced, over engineered product and Sony's complacency in being a (previous) market leader.

Berty
12th September 2007, 01:17 PM
I love reading top 10's. especially when there is absolutely no emperical data to back up there opinions.

dmworking247
12th September 2007, 01:20 PM
Yeah, as many of the comments following the article point out, the current generation (eg Microsofts huge dept and its recalls of the 360, despite its market share, and Sony's move from market lead to 3rd place) are far bigger in terms of financial loss than most on that list.

I love the comment though that the original N-Gage apparently had to have the battery removed to change games. That just proves my earlier point about a company with no idea about gaming trying to take a piece of the pie. ;)

comrade.vader
12th September 2007, 08:31 PM
emperical (word of the week)

Virgil Tracy
12th September 2007, 08:33 PM
Empirical research is any research that bases its findings on direct or indirect observation as its test of reality. Such research may also be conducted according to hypothetico-deductive procedures, such as those developed from the work of R. A. Fisher.

The researcher attempts to describe accurately the interaction between the instrument (or the human senses) and the entity being observed. If instrumentation is involved, the researcher is expected to calibrate her/his instrument by applying it to known standard objects and documenting the results before applying it to unknown objects.

In practice, the accumulation of evidence for or against any particular theory involves planned research designs for the collection of empirical data, and academic rigor plays a large part of judging the merits of research design. Several typographies for such designs have been suggested, one of the most popular of which comes from Campbell and Stanley (1963). They are responsible for popularizing the widely cited distinction among pre-experimental, experimental, and quasi-experimental designs and are staunch advocates of the central role of randomized experiments in educational research.

Word of the week it is then

Nidzdotnet
13th September 2007, 09:01 AM
If you own one of those Virtual Boy's with games they are worth a heap..

They were a bit of a failure when they came out.. I think they were before there time but most systems were. The Famicom was a failure in the US until they re-marketed it as the NES and then it took off..

With most console systems I think those who succeeded were just in the right place at the right time.

Arsenic Hipster
13th September 2007, 11:36 AM
I remember thinking 'dont go there' as soon as I heard about the N-Gage. It reaked of a greedy company trying to grab a piece of the portable gaming market with no experience and nothing special to offer.

And they probably chose one of the harder gaming markets to crack. While other consoles have been successful over the years Nintendo has more or less dominated the handheld market since releasing the Gameboy.