PDA

View Full Version : Dirty under playfield PCB

ocyen
2nd February 2017, 04:39 PM
While cleaning my JD today I came across the dirtiest lamp board under the playfield that I have ever seen. I've restored a few different games and all have had a bit of dirt on them but nothing like this.

So is this AA's dirtiest playfield component?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170202/43e491ae16da3fdfb8f67bdde63872af.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170202/35b8c640bb14ac3fa1712f815f63df47.jpg

Saber
2nd February 2017, 05:10 PM
I have seen some pretty nasty ones.

Curious what did u do to clean urs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ocyen
2nd February 2017, 05:23 PM
I have seen some pretty nasty ones.

Curious what did u do to clean urs.

Post a pic if you've got one!

For cleaning I use mildly soapy water. Get the bulk of dirt off with a cloth. Toothbrush for the stubborn stains. Cotton buds for the delicate and fiddly spots.

Saber
2nd February 2017, 05:37 PM
I forgot to take a pic before and after.
Was pitch black.

Yep thank god for cotton buds

Dedrok
2nd February 2017, 05:43 PM
That looks like the one that lites crime scenes near the flippers.
Doesn't surprise me.
Have had a couple of dredds.

ocyen
2nd February 2017, 05:45 PM
That looks like the one that lites crime scenes near the flippers.
Doesn't surprise me.
Have had a couple of dredds.

Yep, that's the one. They were all filthy, but this one was the worst. No idea why these ones seem to get dirtier than the other PCBs.

Autosteve
2nd February 2017, 06:45 PM
How to clean it...

A small, fine bristled paint brush is favourite weapon for that. Small enough to get into the light recess and spin it around while you blow with your mouth. Bristles can get into the ribs on some of the light inserts that have them.

The bulbs...

Pull them out and clean with a cloth.

The board...

A mixture of both.

Why does it happen?.

The machine is full of solenoids or coils, what ever you know them as that create a magnetic field every time that activate. This magnetic field attracts the negative particles in the air and they land on any flat surface. Some fall in the bottom of the cabinet but any flat surface near the magnetic field they can land on as well. A pinball is a like a big negative iron generator pulling dust out of the air just like a CRT tube.

That is why between the flipper coils is a very high dust area. Boards mounted away from coils have far less dust on them.

When the light board idea 1st come out I thought what a great idea. Over time though this opinion has changed. The bulb is too close to the inserts and the heat created by bulbs that are starting to blacken create to much heat trapped in the insert hole and this heat makes the insert increase in size more than the wood surrounding them and they rise out of the playfield.

This problem has always been there but with the original light bulb holders, the bulbs were usually further out of the insert hole.

LEDs cure this problem now but it wasn't great thinking by the manufactures, LEDs just so happen to be about 1/4 the price to manufacture that glass light bulbs.