PDA

View Full Version : A new playfield ??

richyrich
5th January 2017, 08:59 AM
Hi all,
I am considering putting a new playfield in my Terminator 2.
I am reasonably handy, however, I am no expert.
Love to hear some stories of those that have tried this, successfully or not.
Should it be left to an expert?
How long did it take?
What is the most difficult part of the whole process?
What would it cost to pay someone to do it?

It seems to me a new playfield is cheaper than getting the old one touched up, then clear coated.
Your thoughts??

illawarra_steelers
5th January 2017, 09:54 AM
it's a lot of fun. have done about 10 all up..rebuild everything as you go. take photos and don't expect to do it all in a weekend..take your time.

Rich
5th January 2017, 10:32 AM
....what he said :)

and you could look at the fine work being done by Dedrok with his Evel resto under Solid State (SS) Pinball Restorations :023:

richyrich
5th January 2017, 10:58 AM
The new T2 playfields coming out are about AUD 1250 delivered.
How does this compare to the price of restoring the original playfield?
The original is not is bad shape, would need some minor artwork touch up only.

swine hoont
5th January 2017, 11:12 AM
post a pic of old playfield

illawarra_steelers
5th January 2017, 11:15 AM
The new T2 playfields coming out are about AUD 1250 delivered.
How does this compare to the price of restoring the original playfield?
The original is not is bad shape, would need some minor artwork touch up only.

just sent you a pm..you can get them fully restored for less than that.

wiredoug
5th January 2017, 11:28 AM
you could get a quote on yours locally from FLAIMBOY http://www.aussiearcade.com/forumdisplay.php/242-AIM-PINBALL-SERVICES

jason1
5th January 2017, 11:36 AM
it's a lot of fun. have done about 10 all up..rebuild everything as you go. take photos and don't expect to do it all in a weekend..take your time.

your doing Well, I have considered sending my playfield off to savage for a clear coat on multiple occasions, I Lift the playfield up have a look, think to my self Nah, then drop it back down, put the glass back on and thats the end of that idea for a few more months.

Doing so many resto's for other people is a bit like being a mechanic who doesnt work on his own car lol

now to the OP take Steelers advice not mine lol

Audioenslaved
5th January 2017, 12:14 PM
I did my wh2o took a few months but I didn't care and I was dating someone at the time so there goes time to work on a pinball machine... as long as you take your time you'll be fine. I bought a new pf because it's all new and nice and cleared and most importantly bare and you can transfer the old good bits straight across with a reference point on the old pf. Give it a crack you'll be fine (but you didn't hear that from me...)

nbaird1971
5th January 2017, 05:05 PM
I am about to do my twilight zone. I have done two so far, you can see my posts in the rebuild section. The toughest part and scariest can be removing the mylar.. I only use airbrush paints for touchup and car 2k clear coat. Do lots of reading . There is so much info on the web. Give the touchup a go.. if you stuff it up and always get a new playfield. Or sent it to one the guys who do playfield rebuilds. They can quote on it.. usually cheaper than buying a new pf.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Aussie Arcade mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=90390)

ocyen
5th January 2017, 06:35 PM
I'd recommend giving repairing it a go first. Touch ups are not difficult to do if you have the right equipment: an airbrush, nice acrylic paint, and a good eye for colour matching. Pro tip: get your wife to help with the colour matching as women have better colour perception than men.

Be patient and follow one of the numerous online guides on how to paint a playfield. Afterwards you can patch over it with a clear coat, or install a playfield protector. All in all it would cost you less than $50 in materials if you already have the equipment, plus the cost of the playfield protector if you go down that route.

In my opinion every playfield is salvageable if you have the time and inclination to fix it :) Worst comes to worst you can always send it out for professional repair if you find it totally beyond your abilities (or patience!).

If you just want to do a playfield swap anyway, they're easy enough to do as long as you're methodical. No need to send it to a pro unless you're really stretched for time.

skids
5th January 2017, 07:12 PM
Should it be left to an expert? i think you could do it
How long did it take? you'd think you could do it in one weekend, but takes longer, maybe four weekends/weeks
What is the most difficult part of the whole process? the braid wire is a pain the the bum
What would it cost to pay someone to do it? $500 :rolleyes

richyrich
5th January 2017, 08:00 PM
I am about to do my twilight zone. I have done two so far, you can see my posts in the rebuild section. The toughest part and scariest can be removing the mylar.. I only use airbrush paints for touchup and car 2k clear coat. Do lots of reading . There is so much info on the web. Give the touchup a go.. if you stuff it up and always get a new playfield. Or sent it to one the guys who do playfield rebuilds. They can quote on it.. usually cheaper than buying a new pf.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Aussie Arcade mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=90390)

For me its the opposite, Ive taken mylar off a couple of my pins,no problem.
The airbrushing and clear coat ,probably beyond my capabilities.

richyrich
5th January 2017, 10:18 PM
post a pic of old playfield

swine hoont
6th January 2017, 03:31 PM

still looks good in above average condition for a 25 year old machine, the ball drop area in the inlanes are usually hammered.
I would not replace the playfield on that machine.
maybe just a few repairs and clearcoat if it bothers you.

ocyen
6th January 2017, 03:39 PM
Are you kidding?! That playfield is almost perfect; hardly anything wrong with it at all.

The first defect is easy. Paint over it with an airbrush and cover with Mylar or clear coat. Easy to colour match as it is a plain colour.

I don't see any defects in the second image. Are you talking about the two round holes? If so, those are for flipper alignment and are meant to be there.

Third picture just looks like dirty Mylar edges to me, but I'm not sure as I don't have a T2. It's either that or ball tracking. Either way it will clean up easily with Novus.

Keep in mind that T2s had some of the most hammered playfields of the DMD era. Definitely no need for a full restore on this one in my opinion.

richyrich
6th January 2017, 04:48 PM
Are you kidding?! That playfield is almost perfect; hardly anything wrong with it at all.

The first defect is easy. Paint over it with an airbrush and cover with Mylar or clear coat. Easy to colour match as it is a plain colour.

I don't see any defects in the second image. Are you talking about the two round holes? If so, those are for flipper alignment and are meant to be there.

Third picture just looks like dirty Mylar edges to me, but I'm not sure as I don't have a T2. It's either that or ball tracking. Either way it will clean up easily with Novus.

Keep in mind that T2s had some of the most hammered playfields of the DMD era. Definitely no need for a full restore on this one in my opinion.

Thanks, no im not kidding, just never had any experience with touch ups or clear coats etc.
Not my thing.
I assumed you had to strip every thing and clear coat entire playfied.
Didn't know you could just treat a certain area.
I have learned a heap since posting and appreciate everyone,'s input.
The dirt lines where the mylar ends is a pet hate of mine,dont know anyway to clean them.
So previously I have pulled the existing mylar off,no probs.
Dont think I will do that here,though.
Maybe Im too fussy for some, but I like my pins to look as close to perfect as possible.
Ask anyone who has bought a pin from me.:cool:
Anyway thanks again to all who contributed

jono
6th January 2017, 04:58 PM
For a T2 those are very minor issues.

Personally I wouldn't do a full strip, touch up and clear coat for what sounds like your first major project. I'd work up to that. A playfield swap is a good first major project.

If you bought a new playfield you could easily sell your current one for $500 plus.

Glenn70
8th January 2017, 12:59 AM
Thanks, no im not kidding, just never had any experience with touch ups or clear coats etc.
Not my thing.
I assumed you had to strip every thing and clear coat entire playfied.
Didn't know you could just treat a certain area.
I have learned a heap since posting and appreciate everyone,'s input.
The dirt lines where the mylar ends is a pet hate of mine,dont know anyway to clean them.
So previously I have pulled the existing mylar off,no probs.
Dont think I will do that here,though.
Maybe Im too fussy for some, but I like my pins to look as close to perfect as possible.
Ask anyone who has bought a pin from me.:cool:
Anyway thanks again to all who contributed

That T2 is pretty good. Just a touch up and good clean will have it looking better. I am like you - very fussy also, but I have come to realise that I must draw the line somewhere. I was asking myself, where do I stop? The time and cost involved to get everything 100% perfect is just no longer an option, especially when some parts are just not available. These machines are 26 years old and as such will not be perfect. It's like expecting to see a VN or VP Commodore in absolutely mint new condition - not realistic for many people. I recently had my Getaway HS2 clear coated and only removed everything from on top of the PF. I left everything underneath, that made it a lot easier. The PF was pretty good except for some real obvious areas in between the flippers where it says 'FREE RIDE' that was quite bad. As this is a real obvious and visible area, the choice was easy for me. It all depends on where the wear/damage is located and how obvious it is.

Good luck with what you decide to do. 103831103832