PDA

View Full Version : Battery advice please

loki4101
11th January 2016, 03:49 PM
I need some help...
A few years ago I got a Traxxas 4-Tec electric from a friend, It needs a tidy up and some parts but the first port of call is to make sure it runs ok and to do this I need a new battery.
Here in lies my question, what is a cheap battery for it that I can pick up at the local hobby shop? I had a look online but it turns out a lot has changed in the 20 odd years that Ive been out of RC.

loki4101
5th February 2016, 02:36 PM
Anyone??

pocketscience
5th February 2016, 03:47 PM
No idea personally, but have you tried taking it to your local store?

Smithy
5th February 2016, 04:06 PM
Any local hobby shop with a front door will charge you Twice what the battery is worth .
Hobbyking website is awesome and has almost every rc battery imaginable .
I purchase all my rc batteries from them as prices are best you will find .
Turnigy or Zippy lipo batteries are all I buy for my 1/8 onroad and offroad cars .
Lipo batteries are the go but I'm not sure if they are compatible with your car .
Good luck with your search .

loki4101
6th February 2016, 07:32 AM
No idea personally, but have you tried taking it to your local store?

Tried that but as lukesmitty suggested they wanted to sell me a $140 battery.
Ill have a look at Hobbyking and see what i can find

Thanks

danny_galaga
10th February 2016, 09:12 PM
https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#safe=off&q=Traxxas+4-Tec+battery

loki4101
10th February 2016, 11:15 PM
https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#safe=off&q=Traxxas+4-Tec+battery

Believe it or not ive tried that but the problem is the Nitro 4-tec is hugely popular and the bulk of results are for that with very little on the electric 4-tec.
It also uses what I know as the Tamiya molex connector but with a second connector off it for the radio gear and im having trouble finding that.

danny_galaga
17th February 2016, 05:44 PM
Is there anything special about the battery shape? Surely you just need the same voltage and amp rating. Modify a more regular battery to suit (",)

loki4101
18th February 2016, 02:38 PM
Is there anything special about the battery shape? Surely you just need the same voltage and amp rating. Modify a more regular battery to suit (",)

Thats what I was trying to find out but it doesn't loot like there is anything special about it so in with a 7.2 me thinks

narf_
20th February 2016, 01:21 PM
I got a Nikko 7.2 battery and charger today at jumble sale

Can take pics If needed

Gemini2544
28th February 2016, 01:53 PM
I remember back then that the Battery pack was nothing more than a bunch of "C" cell Nicad batteries wrapped in heat shrink with silicon wire for heat protection. You could make them for $20.

loki4101
28th February 2016, 03:01 PM
yep...the good old days...
Now we have options...Im old and grumpy and dont want options anymore

jason1
28th February 2016, 03:27 PM
just jump on ebay and buy the bloody thing for $30 rchobbystore might be also be a good start if you want cheap. different if you want high end stuff go else where but you want a cheap run of the mill battery then check this link out.
https://www.rchobbyestore.com.au/
its not that hard to find a battery for an rc car.
most havent changed for 20 years except maybe the MAH and that isnt a big deal

Rich
27th March 2016, 07:19 AM
If your concern loki4101 is that it may not work and/or need more work done that you want to put in and end up costing heaps you could power it up externally using a variac and a bridge rectifier.