PDA

View Full Version : Solar Ride Restoration

Dal1962
4th January 2016, 05:45 PM
Okay, further to previous posts I'm determined to restore this machine to its former glory. So I have a couple of electronic questions and one regarding the playfield.

1) Electronic - what is the inherent problem with the Gottlieb terminal pins, some of them look okay but all the advice is they need to be replaced, surely when original they were okay?

Notwithstanding, if I replace the harnesses (looms - whatever they are called) on the MPU, Power Supply and Driver Board, in the first instance and then replace the MPU, and if the machine doesn't work, the power supply then lastly the driver board and leave the remaining loom as is, is this okay. I'm hoping through a process of elimination I'll get it working?

2) Playfield - the playfield looks like it has a transparent film over it. Is this normal, and can it be removed, say with a heat gun?

Lastly, being a (former) locksmith by trade if any pros out there have machine locks they need rekeyed etc how about we work out some exchange skills / parts program.

Dave

wiredoug
4th January 2016, 06:10 PM
1: they are old like us and dont work too well any more. some are broken or weak ( lack of tension on the connection) many are also corroded by battery leakage

2: yes but you will make it worse most likely. suggest you get it working first

locks - here we buy them by the 1000 and just replace them, all KA (at least by batch)

does it boot at all ? what do the displays say ? what do the power output voltages read ?

would a copy of the service guide help you ? can you read a schematic?

Dal1962
4th January 2016, 07:16 PM
Hi Doug, It hums and lights up, nothing more. All the fuses look okay. While I'm having a very very steep learning curve a schematic probably would help me yet.

Dave

- - - Updated - - -

Regarding the harness pins I just examined them again and I see what you mean some have lost all tension and remain depressed.

wiredoug
4th January 2016, 07:16 PM
Hi Doug, It hums and lights up, nothing more. All the fuses look okay. While I'm having a very very steep learning curve a schematic probably would help me yet.

Dave

this is the best 'diy' guide http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/

start at the start. until you have the power supply right all bets are off.

Rich
5th January 2016, 08:39 AM
I get that pinnies were in arcades but shouldn't this thread be in the Pinball section?
and yeah I have a badge somewhere :)