PDA

View Full Version : Do we need another Summer Shmup-off?

Barra
6th December 2015, 12:43 AM
All has gone very quiet since the conclusion of the last MGL. Where has everyone been hiding?

The shmup-off a couple of years ago seemed pretty successful, should we have one up for the holiday period this year to keep the competitive and fun spirit alive?
Nothing serious, just a bit of button mashing and avoiding countless bullets

Thoughts?

:)

Batfink
6th December 2015, 03:54 AM
I have no idea what a shump off is, but if it involves button mashing then count me in.

november / december is the busiest time at work for me being in a retail warehouse so i need something to distract me.

outrun86
6th December 2015, 05:47 AM
I would probably be up for a blast... 3 games again?

JustAnotherRat
6th December 2015, 06:14 AM
I don't know what it is, but I think I need a good shumping off.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Fire_Power
6th December 2015, 07:16 AM
We should do something as it's pretty quiet, but not suited to a full MGL round. Shmup probably suits the carefree summer days better but I've always fancied an "Amazing Mazes" mini comp.

We could do;
- 3 concurrent game
- duration 1 month of play
- games selected by public aa poll, one vote per contestant - edit: three votes per contestant would be better
- the ballot paper assembled by a mystery maze aficionado :)
- say approx 10 games to select from - need a relatively low number so that voting works and we don't get one vote for everything!

Any interest?

namastepat
6th December 2015, 07:52 AM
I'm on holidays, so I would sign up for this, despite never entering an MGL before.

I love SHMUPS :)

Barra
6th December 2015, 10:57 AM
I was thinking something similar to this: http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/62918-MGL-Mini-Comp-Xmas-2013-The-Shmups-Off!

I'm crap at organising these things so I threw the idea out there in hopes someone would run with it :)

I like the idea of 3 games over a month to 6 week period

dragonlee
6th December 2015, 02:48 PM
I'm in ....old school shooters or any Cave related..hint Crimson Clover...:rolleyes

John73
6th December 2015, 08:39 PM
I'll have a few games of whatever comes up - but I totally suck a shmups.

How about a comp where we play driving games - preferably ones where your car is capable of jumping in the air? It would be cool also if the comp featured driving and jumping car games where you got a bonus for not killing any cars during a level/pattern. :lol

Barra
6th December 2015, 08:42 PM
Doesn't have to be shoot em ups. I like the idea of maze games

Anyone want to volunteer to organize this?

John73
6th December 2015, 08:52 PM
Any sort of theme would be good - we did the Puck-Off a couple of years back which was pretty cool. A driving/racing/motorcycle one was suggested at some stage, but so many of the great car games don't play well with a keyboard or controller - they really need dedicated wheels.

I'll volunteer to run it, but there is zero chance of me starting it until after Christmas.

namastepat
6th December 2015, 09:05 PM
I reckon a SHMUP off is the way to go, as you say, anyone with a standard cab or a keyboard and MAME can play.

Plus, SHMUPS are the greatest games ever made :)

orio1
6th December 2015, 09:40 PM
Should pick one from the kings of Shmups, Cave ....

namastepat
6th December 2015, 10:06 PM
I vote for Espgaluda II :)