PDA

View Full Version : Moving info from XP to Windows 10

lexmark
23rd August 2015, 05:15 PM
Both of my computers that I have in different locations are running XP. One has been good for 10 years, the other for 6 years. Anyway, I have purchased 2 new computers (delivery is next week) with win 10 OS.

Is there an easy way to "migrate" things like, FAVORITES, old E MAILS, email CONTACTS, and such over from XP to Win 10

Or is it best to just start over again? Obviously, after 10 years I have a lot of saved stuff that "mostly" I don't want to lose.

My question is, what is the best way to make this transition?

I'm sure that many members are, or will be in the same boat as me?

Thanks for any advice:)

john

toads
23rd August 2015, 05:22 PM
I too, need to make the move.
I look forward to the interesting comments.

Dedrok
23rd August 2015, 05:24 PM
I'm in the same boat, but don't really want to move from xp.
Was thinking a move to Win7 on a laptop 1st then up to 10 from there.
Interested to see what the experts say.

mxd
23rd August 2015, 05:30 PM
Your emails etc should be able to be migrated, need to know what email client your using ( or suggest move to google ��)

Your favourites you can be saved as a htm like page (or if you on google or the like it should know when you swap pc's and login)

namastepat
23rd August 2015, 05:37 PM
Just so you know (in case you don't) you are moving from Windows XP, an OS that collected almost none of your data, to Windows 10, an OS that will collect a shitload of your data, unless you tell it not to. The first thing you need to do is follow these steps to turn off some of the background data collection.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/31/9075531/windows-10-privacy-how-to

I am playing the 'wait and see' game with Win 10. I am very happy with Win 7 and like most people, didn't touch Win 8 with a 40 foot barge pole.

hvc01
23rd August 2015, 05:47 PM
Sorry didn't answer your question.

The best way is to have everything in he cloud for you. That way al your computers will have access to all your files. That is going to be the easiest way to migration from xp to 10.

wingtipvortex
23rd August 2015, 06:43 PM
Is there an easy way to "migrate" things like, FAVORITES, old E MAILS, email CONTACTS, and such over from XP to Win 10

I always assumed that Emails and contacts were server based? As in, I could log in to my Email and contacts from any computer and operating system.

Fairground
23rd August 2015, 07:07 PM
Maybe xp might make a comeback like this.
https://youtu.be/UhK1aWCzDq8

lexmark
24th August 2015, 08:50 PM
Thanks guys. I'll report back after I try the change-over. (About next week this time)

john

dloe007
24th August 2015, 08:58 PM
What email service do you use (Gmail, Yahoo, Bigpong etc) because if you are using an internet based service such as gmail or yahoo, all your emails would be saved on your account and transferred to your new pc when your client syncs with your email account which leads me to my next question; what email client do you use? Outlook? If so I'm pretty sure I know how to transfer contacts from that.
Cheers

lexmark
25th August 2015, 09:11 PM
What email service do you use (Gmail, Yahoo, Bigpong etc) because if you are using an internet based service such as gmail or yahoo, all your emails would be saved on your account and transferred to your new pc when your client syncs with your email account which leads me to my next question; what email client do you use? Outlook? If so I'm pretty sure I know how to transfer contacts from that.
Cheers

One of the computers is "bigpond' the other is "skymesh" (a satelite service) Both are Outlook.

Thanks for any tips!

john

dloe007
25th August 2015, 09:24 PM
One of the computers is "bigpond' the other is "skymesh" (a satelite service) Both are Outlook.

Thanks for any tips!

john

Ok unsure about those services and whether they store emails locally or on the cloud so you may want to contact those companies and ask; in the meantime I will PM you how to transfer contacts when I get a spare moment

Dedrok
27th August 2015, 11:39 AM
I've started too save some emails as text and hotmail. I'm on Xp with outlook express.
An easier full dump would be nice to know if it's possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jed
27th August 2015, 12:08 PM
I would not go near Windows 10 yet. I did and I lost my whole laptop.

Through windows update, I accepted the offer of a free upgrade to Win 10 from 8.1 that we had on our lounge media centre touch laptop - (where 8.1 works a treat with a touch screen, and purely for media playing.)

All was good for a week and I really liked Win10, it seemed to be a really good Hybrid of 8 + 7 - more like 7, than 8, with really nice ease of access to everything that gives it a very mobile feel.

Then one day it would not boot up at all, with startup error messages. I had not installed anything after win10 and I had updated it to latest win 10 through win update.

So I chose 'recovery and repair' option. That failed, multiple times.

So the win10 recovery menu also gave me an option to roll back to previous windows installation. That also failed.

In the end after losing a few nights of time of trying to fix it, I extracted the HArd Drive and put it into an external caddy, saved all our personal finals, used a win DVD ISO and wiped the HDD and installed Win8.1 from scratch.

Fortunately we keep all our TV and movies and music on external drives and I was able to save all our personal files from the laptop HDD but I reckon it was 10-15 hours of frustration because of windows 10 'free upgrade'.

I honestly can say stay the **** away from windows 10. I thought I was getting a final, stable release - It as Buggy as **** and Microsoft is using the world as a test bed. A web search showed heaps of people having the same issues that I had and the only fix was to wiper everything and ditch win10 altogether.

lexmark
29th August 2015, 06:39 AM
Through windows update, I accepted the offer of a free upgrade to Win 10

I wonder if the issues mostly occur to to those that got the upgrade, or are the new/clean installs also having the same problems?

john

Jed
1st September 2015, 12:03 PM
I wonder if the issues mostly occur to to those that got the upgrade, or are the new/clean installs also having the same problems?

john

I'm not sure. I have heard some other horror stories though about the windows distributed windows patching system and the amount of data it uses to feed others patches.

I'm even having trouble with windows 8 now. Seems my registry is now corrupt after the win 10 experience. I should have removed the whole HDD partition and created a new one as the rollback has still left me with the same win10 issue.

I tell you, it has been a nightmare :(

Ryan555
2nd September 2015, 10:19 PM
I see that MS has back ported some "features of Windows 10" the updates need to be installed though.

http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-backports-privacy-sensitive-features-of-windows-10-to-windows-7-and-8-1-77166/

lexmark
3rd September 2015, 08:31 PM
I'm not sure. I have heard some other horror stories though about the windows distributed windows patching system and the amount of data it uses to feed others patches.

I'm even having trouble with windows 8 now. Seems my registry is now corrupt after the win 10 experience. I should have removed the whole HDD partition and created a new one as the rollback has still left me with the same win10 issue.

I tell you, it has been a nightmare :(

Thanks for your input. I hope it works out OK for you in the end. I got to admit, no one needs that grief. Anyway, as I said, I've already bitten the bullet on the new OS. I just have to hope that it will be OK.

Thanks to all for your help!

john

silverbak
3rd September 2015, 10:00 PM
I reckon Microsoft are on their way down. Nobody pays for an OS unless its Windows - the rest are free. MS have got the corporations hooked (trapped) on MS but they are looking at alternatives (ie with everything running as an app on any device where the OS doesn't matter) and when they do thats the end of MS as we know them - as OS's will all be free and everyone will get out of the MS trap & costs

Microsoft Office 365 will dominate as a business cloud solution but eventually they'll be competing against the companies that run on nearly no profit (amazon) and will be racing to the bottom (where companies are competing in an area wheres profit margins just keep going down)

They are desperate - ie Solitaire now containing ads unless you pay $7, mining your info for advertising/marketing reasons etc

They are trying to turn into a Apple/Google/Amazon clone but wont make it - ie MS Phone is looking pretty bad even after paying a staggering amount for Nokia

I'm obviously not a Microsoft fan but I've seen how they've operated in the past (20 years) using their Windows capatability to kill competition and basically make Operating Systems a market and dominating that huge market ..... but this is coming to an end....... It will e interesting to see how this all pans out

They panicked when the iPad came out as they saw touch as the PC killer (Bill gates had previously unsuccessfully tried to pushed MS to touch screens in the late nineties) so they made Windows 8 touch (as they were thinking touch was so important but its turned out that the mouse is the way to go) - tablets are good for browsing, running apps/games etc mainly. You still need a mouse to do real work. ......Their Windows hybrid tablet/laptop might work though but i personally prefer a good laptop with a good touchpad

Jed
6th September 2015, 12:33 PM
Thanks for your input. I hope it works out OK for you in the end. I got to admit, no one needs that grief. Anyway, as I said, I've already bitten the bullet on the new OS. I just have to hope that it will be OK.

Thanks to all for your help!

john

No problems John. I have heard people that have done the full install from scratch are working out OK. I think it's just the upgrade version that is offerred through winupdate that is causing the biggest issues.

Anyways, I've had enough though and am going to trial a Pi2 running Linux as my media center machine. I actually bought a 'RetroPie' running Rasbian which is setup for Console and Mame as well and has wireless gamepads. So that should be pretty cool too :)

Ryan555
11th September 2015, 09:06 PM
Looks like we are going to get Windows 10 downloaded automatically in the background.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2425381/microsoft-is-downloading-windows-10-to-your-machine-just-in-case

lexmark
15th September 2015, 08:18 PM
I just took delivery of the 2 new win 10 PC's.

Hope to have at least one of them up and running within the next 10 days.

I'll let you know how it goes

john

orio1
15th September 2015, 10:52 PM
Now that "they" are forcing win 7 & above forced " updates " I hope that everyone can see that this isnt a computer company innovating and striving to give their "customers " the newest coolest shit .. Bill "Eugenics" Gates is a right **** ... This is the end of user's having any control of a personal home pc ... You'd have to be mad or a office manager to upgrade to this pile of stinking nsa nwo shit ...

And for the sceptics,they have had years of collusion and planning to get this right .
It was initially exposed way back in '98 . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSAKEY ... but back then if you mentioned the echelon program or the five eyes program you were considered a dickhead ...

When they admit to pissing in your face and people are still cool with it , they really have won ..