PDA

View Full Version : Cutting tool for router

AdamC
14th July 2007, 08:20 AM
Im heading down to bunnings thismorning to grab a router.. just a cheepy at $55.

i need to know what kind of cutting piece i need to do the routing for t-moulding.

This is the last thing i have to do to the CP (Except the wiring), and i wanna get it finished today!! :041:

spacies
14th July 2007, 09:37 AM
You will need an Arbor and a slot cutter bit.
Take in your t-molding and buy the right size bit to suit.

Also make sure the Arbor fits you new Router.

Good luck!

dmworking247
14th July 2007, 12:13 PM
http://www.got2getalife.com/arcade/webshots/tool10.jpg

3mm Slot cutter for router - Purchased from Unanderra Hardware Man for $35, and used for routing the slot for T-moulding purchased from ozstick.

@lien_Zed
14th July 2007, 01:16 PM
Im heading down to bunnings thismorning to grab a router.. just a cheepy at $55.

aahhhh..sounds like Ozito then for that price. wonder how long it it will run for

AdamC
14th July 2007, 01:31 PM
aahhhh..sounds like Ozito then for that price. wonder how long it it will run for

HOpefully just enuff to get around the CP :)

@lien_Zed
14th July 2007, 02:05 PM
HOpefully just enuff to get around the CP :)

i have an Ozito Jigsaw and i have given it a damn good flogging at work and it is still running.nothing flash.a 400 watt jobbie. hence why im keen to know how long your router runs for. out of interest has it got the 6mm or 12mm drive shaft in it

AdamC
14th July 2007, 03:15 PM
Its got the 1/4" shaft = 6mm ??

It lasted ok ... only had to use it for about 2 minutes as all i had to do was around the CP for the t-moulding...

Bit of an overkill - buying it now .. shoulda done it when i started the cab and did the whole lot. But at least i have it now for the next cabinet i build.

Foot
14th July 2007, 06:56 PM
Don't expect to fit the right size slot cutter at Bunnings, If they have any they will be too large. You may have to go to a proper tool shop to get the one you need.

For example the slot cutter I have now is 1.6mm, The smallest Bunnings had on the day I went was 4mm

MickyG59
14th July 2007, 08:26 PM
I got mine online from APworkshop.com.au (1.6mm 4 fluted with arbour)
only took a few days to arrive & are high quality router bits.

http://www.apworkshop.com.au/html_routerbits/11-sca-sca6.html

rash
14th July 2007, 10:11 PM
Gamedude sell them for $39.00

elvis
15th July 2007, 04:15 AM
3mm Slot cutter for router

Check with the t-moulding specifications you have. Most t-moulding requires a 1/16" (1.6mm) slot cutter. Anything bigger will mean the t-moulding can slip out over time.

macross
15th July 2007, 12:28 PM
Hi Adam, I spoke with Chris (from ozstick) about this about a month ago. The slot width depends on the type of molding ... he said most of the t-molding readily available in Aus uses the 2.6mm whilst some that is brought in from the US is designed for 1.6mm. He said if you cut the slot too thin and put some of the thicker t-mold in and you risk splitting the timber and of course if the slot is too wide, you risk it falling out. If you're sure with your t-mold choice, I guess you could always glue it in though Hope it works out!

AdamC
15th July 2007, 06:39 PM
The only size cutting blade i saw at bunnings was 4mm ... which is too wide, so I ended up putting a slice of cardboard along the spine and gluing it all in.

Seems to be working so far :) but havent given the cabinet a decent go yet.