PDA

View Full Version : Meteor stopped working!

RetroBorg
27th February 2006, 08:08 PM
Went down my mates house Sunday to help him put the legs on his new Trident that he got off ebay a while ago, plus also play his Meteor & Big Hit. His Trident seems like a good buy but when we turned on his Meteor some lights on the back glass went on and there were a few dong type noises and nothing, it's has stopped working, no LED's, no playfield lights etc. :unsure

We had a few problems two weeks ago when we were playing it, every now and again the game would just blackout during play and we had to turn it off and back on to play again. Not sure if this problem is related to it not working at all now.

Unfortunately our tech skills are somewhat limited but we are willing to learn, does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong?

Or perhaps some things to try to diagnose what is causing the problem.

Thanks.

Phil

judgeboz
27th February 2006, 09:14 PM
Hi Phil, where is your mate's pinball if its on the way to my work (between Marion and Mawson Lakes) I may pop in and have a look for you - no promises but I will see what I can do. Call me.

RetroBorg
28th February 2006, 11:45 AM
Hi Phil, where is your mate's pinball if its on the way to my work (between Marion and Mawson Lakes) I may pop in and have a look for you - no promises but I will see what I can do. Call me.

Unfortunately he lives at North Haven which would be quite a bit out of your way. I certainly appreciate the offer though. My mate probably needs to pay a tech to come over anyway as he also has a small problem with the stepper scorer on his Big Hit, it's not a major problem but it means when you start a new game you have to manually turn the stepper to zero so the game starts. My mate isn't short of a buck so he should just get a tech over.

Thanks.

Phil

Ric
28th February 2006, 03:24 PM
hi there

THankfully sterns/bally's had a really great self test system on the MPU so if it is that then it should not be too much trouble to work out the cause.

From not seeing the game, first things I would look at

Fuses - always check the fuses. Could be really simple.

MPU - look at bottom right. If the battery is still there (and I hope it is not) it may have leaked. If so you need to act quickly otherwise the MPU will be corroding as I type.

Power supply - could be that the filter cap has died or a bridge rc on the bottom

check out http://marvin3m.com/fix.htm - goto Early Bally section. Sterns used the same architecture.

be VERY CAREFUL if you start to fiddle around. Unplug the game. Even when the power is off there is current reaching the rectifier board. I have learnt the hard way with a nasty zap. If you are unsure, leave it and pay a tech.

Ric

RetroBorg
28th February 2006, 03:33 PM
Ric,

Thanks for the tips, I shall pass them on to my mate. :D