PDA

View Full Version : Vista is watching you....

stu
3rd July 2007, 08:04 AM

comrade.vader
3rd July 2007, 08:27 AM
This software is Popular as zimbabwe Like, DONT GO THERE :D

Crafty
3rd July 2007, 12:00 PM
The more I hear the more I like my existing operating system...

@lien_Zed
3rd July 2007, 01:54 PM
i have heard about all sorts of nasties they have hidden in vista as "undocumented features" all the more reason to stick with xp... but im in the process of converting files/etc to swap to ubuntu linux. i have been hanging out for ages for something worth swapping to and i have finally found it

Carcas
4th July 2007, 02:16 PM
The more I hear about Vista, the more I consider switching to Linux. I'm with dezrae on giving ubuntu a go.

@lien_Zed
4th July 2007, 08:23 PM
The more I hear about Vista, the more I consider switching to Linux. I'm with dezrae on giving ubuntu a go.

hey i already have my bucket-o-bolts celeron 400 running it nicely.im using it as a testing ground to try stuff on. im getitng there.slowly but surely.once i have got it sorted it, im going to swap windows XP on my P4 3GHz and in going Ubuntu. I have been working with pcs since my first 286 10Mhz with windows/dos and i have had a gutfull of the upgrade train and all the associated crap that goes with it, i have been waiting for something better to come along that i could get my head around with out a learning curve that would make my brain explode. rock on Ubuntu! Vista can go to hell!!!!:evil:evil

CRAZED
4th July 2007, 08:27 PM
What kind of work do you have to do to change over to ubuntu?
Is this a simple task or would you need to have sound knowledge of computers?

Sutekh
4th July 2007, 09:32 PM
Vista sucks. Even with UAC disabled I still get badgered about Administrator access, there are bugs with deleting files in sub-directories (including the start menu), and I've had more application crashes on this since Windows ME.

It's time for new hardware anyway. And this time it will be an iMac. I've had enough of toying around with PCs, and I've been doing it for years. Sick of being my own personal systems administrator. I've seen OS X running and it's fast. With a 3 year extended warranty, Apple will come to my door to fix the thing. I've also seen it running with Parallels - a virtualisation suite that can run Windows apps at native speed (they are Intel processors, after all)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjVZt-G2qC8

Ignore the bad framerate of the video, I've seen this running at the Mac shop in Pitt Street Mall, Sydney, and it's amazing.

Or for those who just want the OS.. http://www.insanelymac.com/ - I've got OS X running in VMWare easily so far, and it looks like getting it running on a standard PC isn't that hard either. So soon I'll have an iMac and a Hackintosh!

CampKrusty
4th July 2007, 09:54 PM
Yup been on MAC since 1999 and never looked back....:D

@lien_Zed
4th July 2007, 10:04 PM
What kind of work do you have to do to change over to ubuntu?
Is this a simple task or would you need to have sound knowledge of computers?

i have a fair bit of work ahead of me.nothing exiting.mainly document conversion going from word format to open document format. many documents i have to do from scratch as they just will not convert over. im also finding replacements for utilitys i contantly use and testing others in "wine" (windows emulator environment for linux)
you dont need a sound knowledge in computers at all.infact if you read issue 2 of the Ubuntu Full circle magazine (http://fullcirclemagazine.org/?page_id=20) you will read about an old Granny who get a lappie setup for her with Ubuntu Linux and it does everything she needs

The Pinny Parlour
4th July 2007, 10:12 PM
That video tutorial is Most helpful that you provided before dezrae.

@lien_Zed
5th July 2007, 07:36 AM
That video tutorial is Most helpful that you provided before dezrae.

yeah i learnt a lot from it. cant remember what thread i posted it in though:unsure