PDA

View Full Version : Unity3D Pinball

Jed
17th February 2015, 09:01 PM
Has anyone else tried this on their cab ? Shows promise, though it is complicated to try and setup on a multi screen cab. It supports multi screen but the interface is really messy and complex, but does show the potential depth of the program.

The tables look more like a sort of fully 3D rendered game, like a pinball 'scene' if you know what I mean. (not sure I know what I mean.... you'd have to play a table to see I guess) There isn't the same feeling of seperate parts that VP gives you.

It's only up to Alpha 2 version though - not into Beta even yet so heaps of work to be done, I hope they fix the setup. Not too many tables available only about 8 or so I think.

Worth a look, if only to see the potential of the app if they continue developing it, could be pretty amazing eventually but the specs you will need will far outstrip what VP needs, from the FPS I was getting on some of the tables like TAF and CLass of 1812.

Lazarus
19th February 2015, 03:23 PM
I havent tried it buy have watched the videos on youtube and read the forums etc.
I actually prefer the VP model, there seems to be many more developers creating tables, with all kinds of feedback support.
I'm actually looking forward to VP11 - a move to DX11 will make VP absolutely amazing visually.

Exciting times ahead for digital pinball in th enext few years.

Jed
19th February 2015, 09:42 PM
I havent tried it buy have watched the videos on youtube and read the forums etc.
I actually prefer the VP model, there seems to be many more developers creating tables, with all kinds of feedback support.
I'm actually looking forward to VP11 - a move to DX11 will make VP absolutely amazing visually.

Exciting times ahead for digital pinball in the next few years.

Yeah, I hear ya. I've got Unity working properly now but I doubt I will be playing it much or in fact again at all. Yes everything is rendered in a fully 3D environment, but that whole environment just looks a little bit weird, almost like everything is a 3D hologram. Pinball Arcade on a cab though - that's definitely worth setting up as a companion to VP.

As for force feedback - I have the ghetto version - a subwoofer cranked and sitting inside my cab - you still feel the flippers, bumpers, and slings through your hands :D

OzStick
20th February 2015, 01:08 PM
As for force feedback - I have the ghetto version - a subwoofer cranked and sitting inside my cab - you still feel the flippers, bumpers, and slings through your hands :D
It's interesting that you phrase it like that Jammasized - "Ghetto" feedback is all I've ever done but it can be surprisingly effective if you position the subby in the right spot. I mention it when customers drop in and want to check out the pin cab I have here and most tend to agree that it's a good way to go, especially when I tell them how much more you need to spend to get "real" feedback to work properly!!!!!!

Lazarus
20th February 2015, 10:45 PM
I'm sorry guys, but it just doesn't compare.

Jed
21st February 2015, 03:25 PM
I'm sure it doesn't, and if money was no object I'd probably go there. Sounds too exy though from the quotes I have had... Can't justify it. I spent quite little on my build, everything was 2nd hand or repurposed, or sourced from Gumtree. A force feedback system would cost me more than I spent on my 2x 40" 1080p panels :)