PDA

View Full Version : Soft-15khz Easy 15KHZ on your normal video card in windows!

stu
25th June 2007, 07:33 PM

Arcade King
25th June 2007, 07:54 PM
Personally I wouldn't use it without a Jpac, only other option would be go a Arcade VGA.

rockmes
26th June 2007, 08:01 PM
Merchant , l installed the software about 3 weeks ago using jpac and the nvidia 6600gt with the relevant drivers required , on 15khz setting and its awesome. l previously was using the 9200 version of the ArcadeVGA card which is fantastic but l run also certain pc games in my cabinet eg- Virtua tennis 3, Pro evolution soccer 6..... which the card is no go for - too slow. So l am wrapped with the results, thought l'd let everyone know. l'm glad to see you also had success.
By the way what resolution are you using for mame with this setup?

stu
26th June 2007, 08:46 PM

Arcade King
27th June 2007, 06:13 AM
http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=6250&highlight=soft-15k

This is where I found out about soft-15k in Brads thread awhile back.

elvis
27th June 2007, 08:47 AM
Good to see this guy's project finally get off the ground. It's been a long time coming.

Personally I wouldn't use it without a Jpac

As with all driver-based mods, it only works inside windows. That means your boot screen is pushing out 31KHz which could damage your 15KHz monitor. As AK says there, the JPAC has a 15KHz cutoff switch, which will protect your monitor during boot. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

stu
27th June 2007, 10:44 AM

gints
30th June 2007, 10:49 PM
Just got a new Video card that Soft15khz supports today and it seemes as if it will work (My VGA monitor says "out of range" once windows starts...so i guess its chucking out a nice 15khz).

Just wondering however for once i get my JPAC, what options do i need in my mame config to ensure that MAME changes to whatever crazy resolution is required, rather than just stretching 384x224 out to 640x480 or whatever.

I guess i would turn off HWSTRETCH, and is that it? It should try to force the output into whatever resolution the game is. Also, what resolution are front ends usually run at, i plan to use MALA, so does 640x480 generally work at 15khz?

Obviously every monitor and card is diff, but just trying to get my head around things.

EDIT: Think i found it, use ddraw, nohwstrech, and switchres, run a autores utility that tells mame best res for each game (courtesy of Ultimarc)

derrace
17th July 2007, 01:29 AM
I got this from Arcade King's post about his mame cab......he used a piece of software to make his windows run @ 15khz but you dont need an arcadeVGA to do it......

Basically, you install the program, click enable 15khz, install a little application called quickres (this lets you swap to 320x240 etc on the fly from the taskbar as windows doesnt show those lower resolutions in its control panel) and restart the pc, then you swap to 320x240 and plug a cable from the pc to your jpac and.....well it just works.

You can install 25khz and 31khz modes also, basically the way it works from what i read on another forum is that if you swap to a mode that is supported on one of the higher frequencies it will swap to that freq.

Hi there, I have installed the program, clicked on 15hz and rebooted but I cant see my screen after boot up. Using 66.93 on a nvida 5200. any idea?

l previously was using the 9200 version of the ArcadeVGA card which is fantastic but l run also certain pc games in my cabinet eg- Virtua tennis 3, Pro evolution soccer 6..... which the card is no go for - too slow. So l am wrapped with the results, thought l'd let everyone know.

Hi there, I take it you managed to load into windows using this sw and a jpac?

I figured why I wasnt seeing anything on my lcd, i ran soft15hz and I think my lcd cant pick up the freq..... I plugged the output into my jpac and it gave me split screens at boot up (due to 15 and 31 jumpers being set), but when windows load up, it gives me this very black screen, with the words moving top down continously. it's very distorted, i can barely make up the words..

thanks for your time.

edit: meh, I cant get it to load 15hz on my lcd, and it's distorted on my arcade monitor. I can only uninstally my video drivers... =(

SailorSat
17th July 2007, 06:57 AM
I plugged the output into my jpac and it gave me split screens at boot up (due to 15 and 31 jumpers being set), but when windows load up, it gives me this very black screen, with the words moving top down continously. it's very distorted, i can barely make up the words..
does the "sync ok" led light up on the j-pac?

could you maybe take a pic with a digicam?

what resolution were you using in windows? 800x600 and 1024x768 will be 50Hz and may need adjustments to your arcade monitor.

meh, I cant get it to load 15hz on my lcd, and it's distorted on my arcade monitor. I can only uninstally my video drivers... =(
try pressing f8 on boot and select "vga mode", then just uninstall soft-15khz.

derrace
17th July 2007, 11:43 AM
does the "sync ok" led light up on the j-pac?

could you maybe take a pic with a digicam?

what resolution were you using in windows? 800x600 and 1024x768 will be 50Hz and may need adjustments to your arcade monitor.

try pressing f8 on boot and select "vga mode", then just uninstall soft-15khz.

hi there, thanks for the reply. I will get a pic when I get back.

I was quite curious regarding the sycn leds. none of them lit upwhen i fired them up. Is that normal? when it boots up with the arcade monitor, the screen splits vertically in the middle with distorted text. It merges into when when the windows start up bar comes on, but everything is so distorted and the "screen" keeps moving down and appearing from the top again. when windows is loaded,

I cant see the start button or the taskbar at the bottom when windows is loaded. I forgot to set the res.. I might give that a go later. I have also updated my nvida drivers to the 93.+ (highest this card can support). My monitor can only take in 15hz I think, but how do I set the res to 320xsomething, considering there isn't such a mode (even with quickres) when plugged into my monitor?

someone kindly assist?

thanks in advance.

D

SailorSat
17th July 2007, 02:22 PM
Okay...
The sync leds SHOULD light up both.

Hm...
Either the 5200 does not support interlace or the resolution was too high.
Try unlocking your taskbar and move it to the top end before rebooting, just in case it really doesn't support interlace you'll only see the upper half of the screen. In that case the mouse cursor will not be where you see it, but you will be able to click on quickres and change resolution to somewhat better.

About the resolution...
Set it to 640x480, either with the advanced display settings, the nvidia control panel, or quickres.

If the screen moves down (or up) you'll most like need to adjust the V-Hold (or V-Freq depending on monitor) on your screen.

derrace
17th July 2007, 02:38 PM
Okay...
The sync leds SHOULD light up both.

Hm...
Either the 5200 does not support interlace or the resolution was too high.
Try unlocking your taskbar and move it to the top end before rebooting, just in case it really doesn't support interlace you'll only see the upper half of the screen. In that case the mouse cursor will not be where you see it, but you will be able to click on quickres and change resolution to somewhat better.

About the resolution...
Set it to 640x480, either with the advanced display settings, the nvidia control panel, or quickres.

If the screen moves down (or up) you'll most like need to adjust the V-Hold (or V-Freq depending on monitor) on your screen.

hey there,

I am hoping it's the res being too high, will try it again later when I get back from work. What I got yesterday was so bad, I get giddy trying to locate my mouse cursor and click on something. This brings me to ask, how did the other guy manage to get his winning elven running with an arcade monitor? At what res and hz? Atm, I cant even get windows running... oh well... I got a couple of pcs/and spare gfx to test it on.

What I meant when the screen moving top to down can be described by a continous flow downwards. e.g I can barely make out the recycle bin on my distorted screen. it starts on top, then moves to the bot, and then appears to on top again, it feelsl like an endless loop.

SailorSat
18th July 2007, 02:33 PM
Hm yeah, sounds like your V-Hold is off, but thats no real problem, as this can be fixed with the monitor controls.

About disortions...
I just remembered a problem I had with an GeForce 6600GT while developing.
I got a very very dark screen that seems to be off one or two pixel more per line.
But I never had that again after "finishing" nvidia cards, so I thought I did an manual error (I set everything in registry by hand that time).

Well... Lets see whats coming up :)

stu
18th July 2007, 03:01 PM

derrace
19th July 2007, 02:32 PM
Hm yeah, sounds like your V-Hold is off, but thats no real problem, as this can be fixed with the monitor controls.

About disortions...
I just remembered a problem I had with an GeForce 6600GT while developing.
I got a very very dark screen that seems to be off one or two pixel more per line.
But I never had that again after "finishing" nvidia cards, so I thought I did an manual error (I set everything in registry by hand that time).

Well... Lets see whats coming up :)

hmm, I have managed to get it to load decently after a few more attempts.

I have also noticed that both my sync leds DO NOT go off at all. Is that normal?

Everything looks yikey anyway, I have tried winkawaks on it, and erm, it's just blury. Also, how do I hook up my astrocity speakers to the jpac?

SailorSat
19th July 2007, 10:24 PM
Could you provide a picture of the output?

What resolution do you run winkawaks with?

bout the speakers... well they should be hooked up on Jamma Side, and you'll most likely need a cable from the PC to the J-PAC.
I used some cheapo PC Speakers and just cut the cable to the second speaker and wired it to the J-PAC.

*EDIT*
Did you try some other resolutions with QuickRes?

derrace
20th July 2007, 02:26 AM
Could you provide a picture of the output?

What resolution do you run winkawaks with?

bout the speakers... well they should be hooked up on Jamma Side, and you'll most likely need a cable from the PC to the J-PAC.
I used some cheapo PC Speakers and just cut the cable to the second speaker and wired it to the J-PAC.

*EDIT*
Did you try some other resolutions with QuickRes?

Hi again, thanks for all the help and replies.. really appreciate it.

I ran winkawaks at 800x640, for some weird reason it wouldnt go lower even when I chose to. The desktop res was set to 640x480.

here's a picture I have taken with my hp. Will try to get a better pict when I find my camera.
http://img29.picoodle.com/img/img29/9/7/19/t_Image007m_23f8f8b.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?srv=img29&img=/9/7/19/f_Image007m_23f8f8b.jpg)

As you can see, the words (char names on top, credits at the bottom) are pretty blurry. Would it look any better if I ran a front end and mame? Someone posted earlier they ran pro evo soccer (pc game) on their cabinet. If it all works well, I might just have a dedicated pc for this (I need to get a 2-in-1 jamma harness!, all that plugging and unplugging is getting tedious!).

hmm, I also noted that Jamma only detected 4 of my 6 buttons per player, how do I get it to detect the other 2 buttons?

the layout of my cp is as follows

123--------------------------123
456 p1-start p2-start 456

only 1,2,3,4 works.

Sorry for asking again, but should both the sync leds (green and orange) stay on all the time when my pc is on?

As for the speakers, if I cant use those from the astrocity, I might be just tempted to get some speakers and connect them straight into the pc.

I have tried 320x280 (i cant remember the 2nd bit) but it looks too big, is there any other res I should try?

Thanks in advance.

D

SailorSat
20th July 2007, 02:47 AM
Yes, both Leds on the J-PAC should be active all time. (SYNC-IN and SYNC-OK)

MAME and a good Frontend should be the "best" to get a pixel perfect display.

As for PC Games, I run OutRun 2006, Virtua Tennis 3 and Guilty Gear XX #Reload on my Cab, all of them run fine with 640x480.

Buttons 5 and 6...
JAMMA does not interface them, and JAMMA is mono only.
I suppose your Astro City is stereo, there should be some sort of extra connector.

It should be no problem to build a second "adapter" which connects that extra connector to the J-PAC. However I can't help you on that :)

derrace
20th July 2007, 02:26 PM
Yes, both Leds on the J-PAC should be active all time. (SYNC-IN and SYNC-OK)

MAME and a good Frontend should be the "best" to get a pixel perfect display.

As for PC Games, I run OutRun 2006, Virtua Tennis 3 and Guilty Gear XX #Reload on my Cab, all of them run fine with 640x480.

Buttons 5 and 6...
JAMMA does not interface them, and JAMMA is mono only.
I suppose your Astro City is stereo, there should be some sort of extra connector.

It should be no problem to build a second "adapter" which connects that extra connector to the J-PAC. However I can't help you on that :)

hi again,

erm, how would I get the other buttons 5,6 working if I wanted to play a 6 attack button attack games like streetfighter?

What res should I set the mame/frontend to? Is the display in the attached picture what I should expect or should the picture be better? Sorry, I know, will upload a better picture when I get home later. Would you be able to tell from just that picture?

Thanks again.

D

stu
20th July 2007, 04:57 PM

derrace
20th July 2007, 06:53 PM
Wire buttons 5 and 6 onto the connectors that are on the J-pac.....you will see them, they are the white square thingies with screws in them. P1 button 5+6 and P2 button 5+6 have their own connectors. You just run your wires into each one from the button and the ground goes into ground or you can run the grounds off the standard ground that your other buttons use.

hi, will try it when i get back, hmm, by doing so, would it affect my atomiswave setup? It shouldnt ya? I mean another cable from the buttons into the jpac shouldnt affect my connections to the atomiswave even when I plug my jamma from one to the other?

stu
20th July 2007, 08:07 PM

derrace
21st July 2007, 12:30 AM
No it shouldnt, i run exactly the same setup, my 5 buttons are wired into the jamma harness and atomiswave boards actually support 5 buttons via jamma, they dont need an extra wiring harness. I have another wiring plug that comes from buttons 5 and 6....i plug all my stuff into it for buttons 5/6 or just 6. dreamcast, ps2. jpac etc.....

hmm on my jpac it shows 1sw4, 1sw5, ..., 1sw8, 2sw4.....2sw8

do I connect my button 5 and 6 to sw5 and sw6 respetively?

SailorSat
21st July 2007, 01:03 AM
Thats Right.