PDA

View Full Version : Restoring Nichibutsu Cocktail - Parts Questions

namastepat
6th November 2014, 08:23 AM
Hey guys, going to be restoring a Nichibutsu cocktail cab over the coming months, so I need to get some parts.

Question 1: Where is the best place to buy small, cocktail sized joysticks? I want to get an 8-way stick with a 4-way restrictor plate on it. The cabinet currently has the original 2-way sticks, which are too limiting for the games I want to play. I know you can buy Zippy short shaft sticks like this one.

http://in2amusements.com.au/arcade-joysticks/zippy-joystick-short-shaft/

However, they still have the large style ball top. Is there anywhere that sells short shaft sticks that also have the small balltop that was characteristic of early cocktails? The control panel is the original, vertically mounted panel, not one of the new ones that stick out and sit horizontally. It looks similar to this.

http://www.arcadelifestyle.net/forforum/giddy/next3/DSC00456.jpg

Question 2: Where is the cheapest place to buy a 60-in-1? Ozstick sells them for $80, is there anywhere else that can beat that price? Or if anyone is selling one off second hand, let me know.

Question 3: The glass has been replaced with acrylic. Raysco recommended using Frog Glass to get a glass top, however do I get tinted glass, or clear glass? I know this is a personal preference, what are the opinions of people with cocktails? And if tinted, how tinted? Also, what is the standard thickness for the glass? I can't seem to find that online.

Thanks!

kingsarcades
6th November 2014, 08:31 AM
With the glass I always use smoked gray tinted 6mm toughened... about $110 rounded corners and smooth edges.
$80 is a good price for the 60 in 1. If the ball tops are good on the sticks you have , simply swap them over to the zippy's.

namastepat
6th November 2014, 08:37 AM
Thanks kingsarcades This may be a foolish question, but when I specify smoke grey tinted to the glass guy, so I need to specify a level of tint also? Some tint can be way darker than others and I don't want it to be too dark. Didn't think of swapping the balltops to the new sticks, I wonder if they will be threaded the same. I will check that out this arvo on a Zippy stick I have at home.

kingsarcades
6th November 2014, 08:50 AM
Thanks kingsarcades This may be a foolish question, but when I specify smoke grey tinted to the glass guy, so I need to specify a level of tint also? Some tint can be way darker than others and I don't want it to be too dark. Didn't think of swapping the balltops to the new sticks, I wonder if they will be threaded the same. I will check that out this arvo on a Zippy stick I have at home.

just light tint. That is why it is called smoked gray tint. That tint doesn't effect the color or brightness of the monitor at all, but tends
to hide any imperfections in the top.

rusty_dagger
6th November 2014, 08:53 AM
I have a couple if short shaft zippy waiting to go into a cab you can borrow and try them for fit if you like.

namastepat
6th November 2014, 09:21 AM
I might do that rusty_dagger. I have a long shaft zippy that I can test out to see if the balltop screws on, but I don't have any short shafts to see if they will fit into the panel well. I will get in contact with you at some point in the next few weeks.

narf_
6th November 2014, 11:08 AM
rtoago got some smaller balltops from somewhere

80's KiD
6th November 2014, 11:09 AM
I have 2x Taito (Wico branded) joysticks NOS used on the american Defender, Galaga cocktails. They are shafts and ball tops only. They cannot be switched with Zippy/Sanwa base plates. You're welcome to have them, I had the same plans as you. In the end, I settled for Zippy joysticks. You only have one option for the smaller ball tops. Ebay have the smaller 25mm ball tops which do look much better visually. But they are still noticeably larger than the original ball tops used on the Taito cocktail cabinets.

andykmv
6th November 2014, 11:38 AM
re the 80-1; if you want good after sales support, go with ozstick. and new with warranty always better.

namastepat
6th November 2014, 12:49 PM
Hey 80's KiD, thanks for the offer, but with shafts and balltops only, I probably won't find much use for them due to the inability to get a base plate and joystick mechanism to match them to. If I do need the balltops, I might hit you up down the track though.

Did you use short shaft Zippys? Did they look ok in the cocktail control panel?

80's KiD
6th November 2014, 05:10 PM
Hey 80's KiD, thanks for the offer, but with shafts and balltops only, I probably won't find much use for them due to the inability to get a base plate and joystick mechanism to match them to. If I do need the balltops, I might hit you up down the track though.

Did you use short shaft Zippys? Did they look ok in the cocktail control panel?

All you need is an american baseplate, these will slot right in. I used short-shaft Zippys (Red ball tops) purchased from Steve at Austin Amusements. They fit well, functionality is perfect. 2 negatives would be the size of the ball top.. Also, if you plan on using the cocktail comercially, any punk could swipe the ball tops by unscrewing them (unless you glue them in). I wouldn't use long shafts, if you like them longer you may as well use MCA's. That's just my personal opinion..

namastepat
18th December 2014, 05:35 PM
Well, it's not finished, but it's playable. No glass, as Frog Glass shuts down in a few days for Christmas break, so I will have to wait until the New Year to get the glass cut. The control panels have not been done yet, so it is using its original control panel, which works for now, as I only want it for DK and that only needs one button. I put short shaft Zippyy sticks in it, restricted to 4 way and then replaced the balltops with the original 2-way stick balltops. Aside from the shitty perspex rather than glass, I think it has come up looking really good. So far it has cost me nothing aside from the $250 purchase price + $20 for the artwork printing and laminating. The 60-in-1 is on loan from rusty_dagger and all the paint work was done at my dad's with his stash of spray paint. When I buy my own 60-in-1 or maybe a J-PAC to use an existing MAME PC I have, it will have run me $350 all told or thereabouts, which is not too shabby for a nice little cocktail.

http://imgur.com/OrVMlNk.jpg

raysco
18th December 2014, 06:08 PM
Looks nice Patrick,
Is that a Stout, or just a Dark Ale?
The cocktail looks ok too :lol

namastepat
18th December 2014, 06:08 PM
Homebrew Irish stout :-) Another thing that came out quite nicely.