Mixed feelings about it.

Virgil Tracy
10th June 2007, 08:53 AM
Mixed feelings about it.

Why?

Arcade King
10th June 2007, 09:07 AM
Why?

hardware is still being used in the arcade, unless the information is used to help keep those pcbs going and not just for emulation then its pretty useless IMO.

spot
10th June 2007, 09:43 AM
hardware is still being used in the arcade, unless the information is used to help keep those pcbs going and not just for emulation then its pretty useless IMO.

i agree with AK - some of the games are still out there and are still big earners.
if this can be used to phoenix my 3S cart i am all for it.
i don't want a $700 paperweight on my hands!!

stu
10th June 2007, 01:41 PM
Great news!!! The game has been ported to ps2, dreamcast...xbox, i don't think this is really going to effect anything to do with money earnings.....Maybe it will bring the price of SF3 3s kits down a lot, especially if they find a way to phoenix them, and i believe they will. Just means 1 less game system i don't have to swap out of my arcade cabinet to play this game, my mame pc will slowly become the only system i need, as soon as the dreamcast emulation is better ;)

elvis
10th June 2007, 01:54 PM
I feel sorry for anyone who is not a Japanese arcade op who's bought themselves a CPS3 kit only to have it suicide months later and be left out in the cold.

This is great news. And yes, lets hope it brings the price of CPS3 kits down to reasonable levels. There's still huge demand for them in arcades, and just quietly I think it's a ****ing joke that Capcom don't supply them new any more, nor offer service for them outside of Japan.

Maybe with this successful decryption I'll actually see a SF3:3S in my local arcade again, rather than just the usual car/gun game boredom.

stu
10th June 2007, 02:55 PM
This is great news. And yes, lets hope it brings the price of CPS3 kits down to reasonable levels. There's still huge demand for them in arcades, and just quietly I think it's a ****ing joke that Capcom don't supply them new any more, nor offer service for them outside of Japan.

This is one thing that makes me glad it has happened also, if the company were still selling new units, then i dunno i would maybe see it differently, but for such a popular game still, and i think the suicide design is the biggest crock of shit i have ever seen....i hope they manage to emulate it, im sure they will, the mamedev seems to be able to emulate most other things.....

elvis
10th June 2007, 03:20 PM
http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=799

CPS3 is 20-40MHz SH2 (sometimes 2 of them, depending on the hardware).

This is hardware similar to and/or faster than the Sega Saturn!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_saturn#Processors

Emulation is certainly doable, but it's going to require some grunt. To be honest, I'm not looking forward to the next six months after they get emulation going. SRK, BYOAC and the MAME forums are going to be chock-a-block full of "whaaa why can't I play SF3 without frameskip???" posts from the warezwhores. :)

sneek
10th June 2007, 06:34 PM
Exactly... we need a hardware fix not emulation.

Plasia
10th June 2007, 06:44 PM
Anything that leads to CPS3's being phoenixed is a good thing.

elvis
10th June 2007, 09:05 PM
Exactly... we need a hardware fix not emulation.

Sadly the "emulation" reason is the driving force behind the encryption break. Swear about it all you like, but without the emu scene the hardware fixit scene would be pretty bare bones. There certainly wouldn't have the amount of information available, nor the organisation.

It's not a pleasant realisation, but one that needs acknowledgement.

sneek
10th June 2007, 10:01 PM
I couldn't give a damn if the emulate or not... as long at it keeps on going so we get a real fix. Ive been seeing that there is some cart reprogramming going on already (unconfirmed but im pretty sure its true).

Players want to play on real hardware so im relatively sure it wouldn't effect any ops... They may whinge though.

Not sure about hardware prices... i would say id have the most to lose there. Again i don't really care about any value move on my collection/stock cause i would rather the piece of mind knowing i can preserve this hardware for a very long time.

What i will be annoyed at is if they just emulate.

Arcade King
11th June 2007, 08:42 AM
I couldn't give a damn if the emulate or not... as long at it keeps on going so we get a real fix. Ive been seeing that there is some cart reprogramming going on already (unconfirmed but im pretty sure its true).

Players want to play on real hardware so im relatively sure it wouldn't effect any ops... They may whinge though.

Yeah thats what im worried about, I reckon these devs have already pushed their luck pretty far. Draws far too much negative attention to the scene and gives those Op's and companies like Capcom the ammo they need to sue.

elvis
11th June 2007, 09:39 AM
Draws far too much negative attention to the scene and gives those Op's and companies like Capcom the ammo they need to sue.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm not sure if anyone has grounds to sue.

1) The original product is not made/released/distributed new any more.

2) Outside of Japan, it isn't even supported any more.

3) An emulator is merely a software reconstruction of hardware events. It breaks no copyright. It's just software simulating a sequence of hardware instructions, and is completely useless without ROM information.

4) ROM dumps infringe copyright, but once again the MAME team do not distribute these.

Note that I'm not trying to defend nor excuse the emulation/ROMs/warez scene - it's just that the way MAME works means that they are exempt from legal action.

Number 3 above in particular is what saves MAME. Just like if you wrote a software GUI desktop system that used a mouse cursor, Fuji Xerox (the inventors and copyright holders of the first GUI desktop) could not sue you, despite the fact that your system looks and works exactly like theirs did 30 years ago. Software re-implementations that are written separately (ie: you don't copy and paste source code) are considered original work, and nobody can sue you for that.

At best, all Capcom can do is shut down the ROMs trading scene. And again, with modern P2P systems in place, that falls under the exact same issue facing music, movies, comics, etc with all these torrent tracker sites - sites that don't hold copyright material, they merely hold lists of people who do, and you get your data directly from them. And that itself proves an even bigger issue - what happens when American or Japanese copyright is "infringed" in a country where foreign copyright laws don't hold (Holland, France, Russia, etc)?

Anyways... I'm rambling shit now. I don't think anyone's getting sued. But on that track, it certainly does put ops at a disadvantage every time a popular game gets emulated. If we want arcades to keep going, we need to be spending our money there. Despite the love of the arcade scene many ops have, they don't run their businesses as a charity. There's mouths to feed.

Arcade King
11th June 2007, 09:55 AM
I dunno about that Dan, Seems no different to hackers cracking the protection on PC software to me.

elvis
11th June 2007, 11:50 AM
I dunno about that Dan, Seems no different to hackers cracking the protection on PC software to me.

Correct. And once again, that's not illegal here in AU.

In the USA they have enforced the DMCA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMCA), but so far it's been rejected in Europe and Australia.

Here's another example: is it illegal for you to fix broken gameboards? Say someone brings you a board. You run some tests on it, figure out where signals are supposed to be going and why. You discover a chip is always high when it's supposed to be always low. You've effectively reverse-engineered the board. By fixing it, you've "hacked" it by replacing an original part with a modified part.

Under the DMCA, this is a criminal offence. Without the consent of the original copyright holder you've modified someone else's hardware. It doesn't matter whether you fixed it to once again perform it's original function, or changed it to do something "better".

Even crazier: you have a board that's suicided due to a dead battery. The encrypted ROMs on board are now useless. You grab some new ROM chips, flash them with a decrypted set, and slap the suckers on. Copyright infringement AND breaking the DMCA. Jail for you, mate!

It doesn't matter if the game's nor for sale any more. Look at all these retro releases on consoles. Sega could sue your arse for fixing a Golden Axe System 16 board by claiming you've taken away a sale of their version of Golden Axe for Sega Ages on Playstation 2. You're stealing their profits, man!

You can see how quickly this turns into a political melting pot. If copyright and/or the rediculous DMCA only apply to certain things, who chooses which ones are covered, and which aren't? And who chooses for how long it's covered?

So where do we draw the line? Can we fix busted gameboards? Or do they now fall under the same laws as people who pirate DRM-encrypted music and crack software?

Once upon a time this was all easy. Copyright lasted for a fixed amount of time to give the copyright owner a "fair go" in the market. After that, it was fair game, and it meant that home owners could fix stuff themselves if they wanted.

Now copyright lasts a bloody long time. For the life of the copyright owner plus 75 years, if I'm not mistaken. You know that gameboard you want to fix because it suicided? Yeah, if you want to do it legally, you'll need to wait until the year 2107.

Unfortunately we can't pick and choose where the laws apply and where they don't. Stop people cracking software, and you stop home hobbyists fixing gameboards. Same technology, different applications. Whether you're a "good guy" or a "bad guy" is just a matter of perception.

It's all very touchy business. I'm on the side of the home hobbyists and tinkerers, because I know how much this world would suck if people were forced to stop tinkering, and only the big companies could do all the fixit jobs. But at the same time, there's people who are going to abuse that privilege. How do we stop them without giving up our freedoms?

Arcade King
11th June 2007, 11:55 AM
But this isnt about fixing gameboards its about cracking a protection system for emulation purposes so people can play these games for free at home.
I'd like to think it was about fixing peoples hardware and I DON'T agree with the stupid suicide system in the first place.

elvis
11th June 2007, 12:35 PM
But this isnt about fixing gameboards its about cracking a protection system for emulation purposes so people can play these games for free at home.
I'd like to think it was about fixing peoples hardware and I DON'T agree with the stupid suicide system in the first place.

Yeah it's a big old grey area. Like anything, some people will abuse it, and some people will use it for the right reasons. Look at the humble VCR - back in the day you could use it to tape a show you missed, or be a movie pirate.

These sorts of things are hard to police. And depressingly, it seems more people are doing the wrong thing than those who do the right thing.

People eh? They make great landfill.

sneek
11th June 2007, 02:02 PM
Pretty much... I would have liked to think its about fixing peoples hardware as well.

Its hard to say what the dev team is thinking... whenever i go read some forum posts over there, they usually have a different spin everytime. Some with profound incite and some obviously crafted by some kiddy that wants to pay nothing for their games.

If you read some of the cps2 stuff... they are so concerned with losing precious data from undumped rare regioned boards if they release a fix as ppl will just convert most boards to english etc... But on the other hand with cps3 its more about the emulation than the hardware fix.

From what i see they just do whatever they want... with no set of rules behind it.

Arcade King
11th June 2007, 02:10 PM
I can't stand those boards, nothing i hate more than rom begging.
I remember that Kawaks(I think) the author refused to add in new games but some ****head released a hacked version of his emulator with support for the roms.

XiTaU
11th June 2007, 02:42 PM
i saw some cheap cps3 hardware going around suisided it kinda makes me wish i had bought some.

elvis
11th June 2007, 07:11 PM
Its hard to say what the dev team is thinking
I'd like to be an optimist and hope it's merely a "because I can" thing. Coding is fun, and writing emulators can be lots of fun (as long as you never use your real name and/or personal email).

In the land of fluffy bunnies and rainbows, I'd love to believe that the guys coding these things are just doing it for a laugh. After all, SF3 *is* 10 years old (3rd strike being 8 years old).

But maybe I give these guys too much credit. Who knows?

i saw some cheap cps3 hardware going around suisided it kinda makes me wish i had bought some.

There is no such thing as unbreakable encryption. Encryption by it's very nature is generated mathematically, and is therefore reversible. And failing that, brute force attacks that try every possible combination are often usable too. The only thing slowing us down is usually the CPU grunt required to do so, and thanks to the exponential growth of CPU power, it's only ever just a matter of time.

Don't ever throw out suicide ANYTHING. Whether it's CPS3, System 16, or some other future arcade system we haven't seen yet. There will be a time in the future when someone breaks the encryption, and you can reuse that old busted LEGAL hardware again.

Berty
11th June 2007, 07:28 PM
In regards to the initial post and subsequent emu vs real hardware debate I would like to add that I think this will be an emulation only type of affair. As mentioned elsewhere although breaking the encryption for old Jaleco stuff led to emulation it NEVER led to restoing the original hardware.

On a similar topic I had high hopes for mass implementation of the CPS2 algorithm on real hardware but nothing much has come from that.

XiTaU
11th June 2007, 09:24 PM
cps2shock will probably try his hand at fixing hardware if the encryption is broken he has been doing cps2 for years so if there is a market in fixing cps3 i couldnt see him not trying to grab it he has the skills.

The Pinny Parlour
12th June 2007, 07:45 AM
Getting there:
http://emu.makii.pl/njus_detal.php3?id=1962

LOTR4U
12th June 2007, 10:50 AM
Sucks if you have paid BIG $$$ for the boards and the price then comes down to the shit.

XiTaU
12th June 2007, 11:14 AM
they wont drop that dramatically cps3 is still in high demand and it will take a lot of effort still to get one fixed. They arnt that expencive to begin with if you arnt after 3rd strike and once they fix the suiside problem you never know demand might go up that the main reason i stay clear of capcom pcb's.

sneek
12th June 2007, 11:24 AM
Yeah i guess it sucks a little... but i don't really mind. I would rather the worry free aspect to be honest.

elvis
12th June 2007, 02:24 PM
Sucks if you have paid BIG $$$ for the boards and the price then comes down to the shit.

I work in IT. Something I paid $50,000 for three years ago is worth $500 today.

You can't control the market, and there's no point crying about it.

sneek
12th June 2007, 02:30 PM
I work in IT. Something I paid $50,000 for three years ago is worth $500 today.

You can't control the market, and there's no point crying about it.
I think he means current market prices...

Ric
12th June 2007, 04:04 PM
as I think most people agree here - breaking the code is academic unless there is a practical application for it

MAME broke the CPS2 code a couple of months back and I have yet to see a way to DIY phoenix CPS2 boards

unless there is a way to DIY phoenix a CPS3 board there is little use to collectors and less of a threat to ops

XiTaU
12th June 2007, 04:42 PM
cps2shock already does them so maybe people found no need to do cps2. Also things dont happen over night someones probably working on it.

Ric
12th June 2007, 05:06 PM
it is not a criticism, more a statement that since the announcement, the chatter appears to have gone quiet

Yes - CPS shock has done these for a while, however the indpendent cracking by the MAME dev appeared to provide some promise of inidvidual collectors being able to phoenix their board however this has yet to come about

Arcade King
12th June 2007, 05:44 PM
it is not a criticism, more a statement that since the announcement, the chatter appears to have gone quiet

Yes - CPS shock has done these for a while, however the indpendent cracking by the MAME dev appeared to provide some promise of inidvidual collectors being able to phoenix their board however this has yet to come about

Yes but the Razzolas phoenix roms support changing regions and what not which is well worth the money.

XiTaU
12th June 2007, 08:09 PM
when they get it so that we can burn unencrypted roms chinese bootleggers will have a field day making 3s boots it will be like the 1983 games crash all over again we're all gonna die (cowers in fear in fetal possition).

elvis
12th June 2007, 08:31 PM
when they get it so can burn unencrypted roms chinese bootleggers will have a field day making 3s boots

I doubt it. CPS3 is definitely not an easy piece of kit to bootleg. Custom Hitachi SH2 processor, SRAM SIMMS, SCSI interface... it would cost more to bootleg than to buy a second hand one off eBay I reckon.

The days of a $5 M68K and some generic flash ROMs are long gone. :)

XiTaU
12th June 2007, 09:30 PM
if you couldnt tell there was a slight hint of sarcasm somewhere in that post. How hard would it be to convert a sf3 new gen cart to a 3's cart? is there any difference other then the roms they use?

sneek
12th June 2007, 09:53 PM
Greater memory requirement... on the mobo. Cart hardware is the same.

XiTaU
12th June 2007, 11:20 PM
so theoretically bootlegs of 3s could be made out of new gen carts for a low low price you would just need to upgrade the ram.

sneek
12th June 2007, 11:57 PM
Yeah but the ram is the hardest spare part to find in the first place.

Nidzdotnet
13th June 2007, 11:21 PM
I wouldn't count on it being mainstream emulated any time soon. I'm still waiting for a fully functional working Daytona USA and Sega Rally on System 2 to work on MAME and that came out in 1995.

XiTaU
13th June 2007, 11:54 PM
the first game cameout in 1996 so its not a huge jump from 95. There is already a system 2 emu in the works why do you want it to run in mame it will only be slower and have worse graphics?

elvis
14th June 2007, 10:11 AM
I wouldn't count on it being mainstream emulated any time soon. I'm still waiting for a fully functional working Daytona USA and Sega Rally on System 2 to work on MAME and that came out in 1995.

Games being emulated have little to do with timeline or release date. It's based entirely on the whim of the developers.

Plus as mentioned, CPS3's SH2 processor is very similar to the Sega Saturn's SH2, which is already well supported in MAME. A lot of the main CPU work has already been done.

The Pinny Parlour
17th June 2007, 08:20 AM
Sound
http://haze.mameworld.info/2007/06/15/

&

Vision
http://haze.mameworld.info/2007/06/16/

The Pinny Parlour
18th June 2007, 11:04 AM
http://www.speksnk.org/foro/viewtopic.php?t=66324

stu
18th June 2007, 11:13 AM
Nice one on the progress.....can't wait to play some of the other games. :)

The Pinny Parlour
18th June 2007, 10:37 PM
http://haze.mameworld.info/2007/06/18/cps3-tile-sprite-data-compression/

XiTaU
18th June 2007, 10:48 PM
yeah ive been checking haze's page quite often its amazing how fast hes working on this.

stu
19th June 2007, 06:41 AM
http://haze.mameworld.info/

another one

The Pinny Parlour
19th June 2007, 07:51 AM
SPRITES
http://haze.mameworld.info/2007/06/18/sprites/

XiTaU
19th June 2007, 10:11 AM
crazy amounts of progress happening from haze i wonder how long it will be till its 100% at this rate.

spot
19th June 2007, 10:17 AM
hopefully this all this emu stuff pays off for CPS3 owners.

i hold my breath - cross my fingers - pray to god and clsoe my eyes all at the same time when i turn my machine on :P

we need a phoenix fix for CPS3 carts!!

The Pinny Parlour
19th June 2007, 12:48 PM
It's happening quick:
http://haze.mameworld.info/2007/06/18/tile-compression-part-2/

XiTaU
19th June 2007, 02:35 PM
yeah that was pre sprites post looking good though.

Ric
19th June 2007, 02:55 PM
it is really amazing

I am trying to follow how he is doing it but it is way beyond my knowledge of electronics and programming (bummer - I would love to be able to do stuff like that)

The Pinny Parlour
19th June 2007, 09:05 PM
This is where we stand at the end of the day / night… on our heads. 19th June 2007

http://haze.mameworld.info/newspics/sprites_upside_down_2.png
http://haze.mameworld.info/newspics/sprites_upside_down_3.png
http://haze.mameworld.info/newspics/sprites_upside_down_4.png

XiTaU
19th June 2007, 10:11 PM
if he keeps going like this there will be full cps3 support in .117:)

Arcade King
20th June 2007, 06:04 AM
Nice if he put so much effort into the other 2000 broken games.

elvis
20th June 2007, 08:50 AM

Amen to that.

Ric
20th June 2007, 09:02 AM
CPS3 is the prize - the unbroken encrytption

sneek
20th June 2007, 10:15 AM

Amen to that.

:lol Preach it Trav!

elvis
20th June 2007, 10:24 AM
mame.net and mameworld.net are down. Haze's page redirects to Google.

What the heck is going on? Too much load on servers? Or something more sinister like legal action?

[edit] Either way, it's pretty damned close:
http://www.emu-france.com/?page=news&daten=2007-06-20#14261

Berty
20th June 2007, 10:37 AM
Yeah I thought that it was just my POS computer doing that... I think all the romz kiddies have imploded their hosting servers.

XiTaU
20th June 2007, 11:35 AM
damn that cps3 emu the nebula guy is making is so far along i wonder when a beta will be out (rubs hands together in anticipation)

The Pinny Parlour
20th June 2007, 12:53 PM
mame.net and mameworld.net are down. Haze's page redirects to Google.

What the heck is going on? Too much load on servers? Or something more sinister like legal action?

[edit] Either way, it's pretty damned close:
http://www.emu-france.com/?page=news&daten=2007-06-20#14261

Yep, Twisty from MW turn off as to alleviate the load generated by all the fanbois.

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/userfiles/114715-haze_traffic_2.png

stu
20th June 2007, 04:40 PM
There is a thread on speksnk of some work also

elsemi's updates......quite amazing how quick they are getting things done.

I reckon you might see a non mame emu playing this before this gets into mame....

It's funny, like every new emu system that comes out, people beg and fanny wank over it and need it yesterday, then it comes out, most people play it for half an hour then go....ok im over it what next....hehe

http://www.speksnk.org/foro/viewtopic.php?t=66324

Arcade King
20th June 2007, 06:21 PM
I ****ing hate rom beggars, i cant stand it, drives me ****ing nuts.
"whens it going to be released"
"Im a poor student who cant afford to play it at the arcade"
"I'm a gay ****"
"I MUST HAVE THIS"
"I CAN'T LIVE WITH OUT IT"
"I NEED THIS ROM BAD"

This sort of shit is why I can't be arsed with emulation forums anymore.

elvis
20th June 2007, 09:48 PM
"Im a poor student who cant afford to play it at the arcade"
Most arcades I've seen 3S at will give you 2 credits for $1 (ie: 2 people can have at least one game together for a buck). I really don't get the "I'm too poor" excuse either. Load of shite.

When I was a uni student, I spent every waking minute at the UQ arcade. Shit, I failed entire subjects simply because the lecture theatre was right across from the uni arcade, and I decided that investing time learning Samurai Shodown II was far more important than learning Thermodynamics. :D

I certainly wasn't a rich bloke back then either, putting myself through uni on a part-time Coles grocery boy wage.

Kids today are all about the instant gratification. They all need a good kick up the bum.

XiTaU
20th June 2007, 10:08 PM
thats not just emulation forums thats most forums in general i think this might be the only forum in the world where every post isnt a whine about something.

The Pinny Parlour
21st June 2007, 07:42 AM
It appears two hacked CPS3 Emu has appeared base on source code Haze released yesterday. In the meantime though, there have been many changes.

http://clrmamepro.free.fr/mame-0.116u1haze.rar
http://nebula.emulatronia.com/downloadgw.php?get=cps3emulator.zip

stu
21st June 2007, 08:14 AM
Tried the haze emu above, progress nice!! SF3.3 is totally playable....

XiTaU
21st June 2007, 01:46 PM
hazes cps3 emu is down

stu
21st June 2007, 01:50 PM
http://nebula.emulatronia.com/

get it there

XiTaU
21st June 2007, 02:10 PM
thats not hazes thats the nebula guys got that and played it already just wanted to give the mame one a go also.

stu
21st June 2007, 02:19 PM
i see...not sure on links for the other one

Crafty
21st June 2007, 02:28 PM
Can someone let me know where to get these ROM's from???
So I can try the new emulator.:D

stu
21st June 2007, 02:57 PM
Crafty the roms are in mame.

If you dont have i dont really know where you can get them...but you need the roms and chd files.

The ones from the current mame set work. Just copy to the roms folder inside the emulator folder.

XiTaU
21st June 2007, 03:05 PM
just find a mame torrent and grab the 6 roms from there if ya dont have them.

The Pinny Parlour
22nd June 2007, 07:58 AM
http://haze.mameworld.info/2007/06/21/cps3-palettes/

XiTaU
24th June 2007, 01:45 PM
something i notice on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Capcom-CPS-3-Street-Fighter-III-3rd-Strike-jamma-board_W0QQitemZ260130204482QQihZ016QQcategoryZ1371 8QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem guy is claiming to fix any broken asian cps3 cartridges.

The Pinny Parlour
28th June 2007, 08:08 AM
http://haze.mameworld.info/2007/06/27/cps3-tile-compression-part-3/

The Pinny Parlour
3rd July 2007, 08:54 PM
http://haze.mameworld.info/2007/07/03/watching-paint-dry/

spot
9th July 2007, 08:13 AM
final version of elsemi's CPS3 emu is out.

LINK (http://nebula.emulatronia.com/)

(will have to wait until after work for a trial run :( )

The Pinny Parlour
9th July 2007, 08:16 AM
http://nebula.emulatronia.com/

CPS3 Emulator v1.0

This is the final version of the CPS3 emulator.

It adds transparency effects (not actual transparency, but
well it looks like that :) ), although it's not fully understood yet.

Fixed palette transformation for flashes, and fadein/outs, now
blacks properly fade to white.

Fixed crashes in some zoomin ending sequences in SF3 games.

Fixed a 1 pixel offset in the framebuffer that was causing a 1 pixel
column problem in the left side of the screen sometimes.

Added support for Nebula external video plugins (there is some source
code and the interface documents in the plugins folder).

Added CHD (MAME's compressed Hard Disks CD Images) support. Just put
the .chd files in the CHD folder in the main directory (sorry, no path
selection for it). And the bios (or the full roms zip) romsets in
the ROMS directory. When loading a CHD romset, the emulator will run
the entire startup sequence so it will take a while to boot (early games
just have a black screen) while the bios waits for the cd to spin up.
You don't need to go through the flashrom rewritting sequence, although
you can see how it looks (just for fun, as it doesn't actually write
anything) by going to Test menu and selecting "Game Rewrite". Using CHDs
doesn't have an actual benefit (except for seeing the exact startup
sequence of the game machine) apart from being able to run Warzard in
any region because Warzard always checks the cd ingame unless it's set to
asia, so by having the real CD emulation through CHD, you can run it in
any region).

* CPS3 Emulator Version 1.0.