PDA

View Full Version : What type of plastic as an overlay for the cp?

Bilopete
19th July 2014, 10:39 AM
I got a quote yesterday from a local store to cut , shape and drill holes for a 2mm plastic overlay for my cp.

The overlay will be used to convert a 6 button per player cp to a 3 button per player cp and will allow me to either put an insert between the cp and plastic for the controls or place a vinyl sticker over the top of the plastic.

I was told the price would vary according to the type of plastic I chose.

So the question is what sort of plastic would be ideal for use?

Price was in the order of $100 which I thought was steep but having any experience with moulding and cutting plastics I don't have much confidence in that area.

Jesder
19th July 2014, 10:55 AM
I'd say most of the $100 will be for the time the person spends cutting holes.

I've used clear acrylic on my control panels before (3mm thickness) and it's great protection over the artwork.

Examples from my projects:

http://www.newhighscore.net/images/blog/multicab/stage03_08.jpg

http://www.newhighscore.net/images/blog/cocktailcab/cp1_1.jpg

http://www.newhighscore.net/images/blog/construction/controlpanelcomplete.jpg

I cut the holes myself though, which saves money.

I use a place close to me here in Berwick (AB Plastics).

The most expensive piece I had to pay for the Galaga machine as it required a bend (which translates to time for someone to do it). But even that only set me back around $50.

The other flat pieces would have cost $5 to $20 depending on size.

If you can cut the holes yourself, you will save money :)

Bilopete
19th July 2014, 11:52 AM
I'd say most of the $100 will be for the time the person spends cutting holes.

I've used clear acrylic on my control panels before (3mm thickness) and it's great protection over the artwork.

http://www.newhighscore.net/images/blog/construction/controlpanelcomplete.jpg

I cut the holes myself though, which saves money.

I use a place close to me here in Berwick (AB Plastics).

The most expensive piece I had to pay for the Galaga machine as it required a bend (which translates to time for someone to do it). But even that only set me back around $50.

The other flat pieces would have cost $5 to $20 depending on size.

If you can cut the holes yourself, you will save money :)

This example is exactly what I need and how I want my control panel to look. I was thinking of putting artwork in between as well. Is it just a high quality print or vinyl sticker?

I'm glad you showed a few pictures as I didn't think about adding holes to fix the plastic to the controller. I though that the 6 buttons on the top section and player 1/2 buttons on the front section would be more than sufficient. But know I am knot to sure.

So how did you drill your holes?

Jesder
19th July 2014, 12:11 PM
The artwork has a sticky back and is stuck to the metal control panel.

I used some clamps to get the acrylic lined up with the control panel and so it wouldn't move. It's not 100% as the bend in the acrylic causes the material to compress and expand a bit - but it's close enough. I gave the guys at AB Plastics my metal control panel at the time so they could use it to get the bend as accurate as possible.

I then marked out where the buttons, joystick and bolt holes would go.

Once done I drilled a small hole through the middle point where each button would sit. I also drilled the holes for the bolts at the same time. Because the acrylic and metal were together and drilled at the same time it meant the would line up when ready to attach. Slow and steady is important here - no point rushing and cracking the acrylic. Also wise to practice on some spare wood first if unsure.

I then used a holesaw to cut the button holes. One like this that has the drill bit in the middle. This ensures the holes will line up since they use the drilled hole as a guide

http://www.hiwtc.com/photo/products/37/03/36/33627.jpg

It's important to make sure the hole is the correct size for the buttons. Too big and they will fall through, too small and you will have a tough time getting them to line up when cutting them bigger. I practiced on a spare bit of wood at the time.

I removed the acrylic from the metal panel for drilling the button holes. Again, slow and steady here to get through wood, metal and acrylic.

After that I used a small thin file to smooth off the edges a bit and also make the bolt holes squared so they could fit the carriage bolts.

BTW a number of the bolts on that control panel are for presentation. I had not intended to have 4 bolts for the joystick, but sadly there were 4 holes already in the artwork, which did not line up with the actual joystick plate. The bolts on the front and side pull the acrylic in tight though so I recommend those.

oldbyte
19th July 2014, 07:00 PM
This is another method I used recently on a Tekken 4 cab that had no control panel. I used 4.5 mmm acrylic ( which is strong enough to bolt the sticks directly onto) I drilled the 30mm holes myself and then I got my local printer to print directly onto the back of the acrylic. The result was great. cheers Ray

Bilopete
19th July 2014, 07:29 PM
Job looks fantastic I must say!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for 101 crash course on what to do.

I might explore the option on Monday of getting a local fabrication company to sandblast, fill all the unwanted holes and powdercoat the current cp. it might cost just as much as the acrylic but look heaps better. I can then get something like a blackboard vinyl sticker or some artwork added.

Czero
24th July 2014, 12:42 AM
This is another method I used recently on a Tekken 4 cab that had no control panel. I used 4.5 mmm acrylic ( which is strong enough to bolt the sticks directly onto) I drilled the 30mm holes myself and then I got my local printer to print directly onto the back of the acrylic. The result was great. cheers Ray

Is the acrylic the same as perspex. Would you know who sells it.

oldbyte
25th July 2014, 05:28 PM
I think its one of the same. There is probably technical differences but I just use my local plastics guy. He finds an off cut , cuts it to size and charges $5/$10 depending on the size. Just look up Perspex cut to size and you should find someone in your local area.