PDA

View Full Version : DELL Ubuntu experience

The Pinny Parlour
6th June 2007, 05:54 PM
http://www.bryceharrington.org/Photos/DellUbuntu/

@lien_Zed
6th June 2007, 08:15 PM
cool... i wonder if microshaft have said anything to Dell yet about it...

thanks to you Pinny i have got onboard the Ubuntu experience... its not bad, a bit of a learning experience, but starting to get the hang of it.

The Pinny Parlour
6th June 2007, 09:40 PM
cool... i wonder if microshaft have said anything to Dell yet about it...

thanks to you Pinny i have got onboard the Ubuntu experience... its not bad, a bit of a learning experience, but starting to get the hang of it.

In turn I thank elvis and sairuk for there encouragement to move to Linux. :) I'm trying to find a hard copy of the Ubuntu Bible at a reasonable price. I can't read long books online and much rather a hard copy.

@lien_Zed
7th June 2007, 09:46 AM
In turn I thank elvis and sairuk for there encouragement to move to Linux. :) I'm trying to find a hard copy of the Ubuntu Bible at a reasonable price. I can't read long books online and much rather a hard copy.

easy peasy... i have it as pdf format.there is a place here in townsville and im sure these is others rould like it, but the place here is called "copy works".i think they are just a local crowd.anyhoo if you take a pdf file to them they will print you a book and bind it for a reasonable cost.

The Pinny Parlour
7th June 2007, 10:53 AM
easy peasy... i have it as pdf format.there is a place here in townsville and im sure these is others rould like it, but the place here is called "copy works".i think they are just a local crowd.anyhoo if you take a pdf file to them they will print you a book and bind it for a reasonable cost.

Cool might investigate that myself. I'm concern with their concerns about copyright. Can only ask I guess.

Just rang a mob. cost $98 lol I can purchase it for around $50 from memory.

elvis
7th June 2007, 12:30 PM
Yeah, ironically printing the PDF version is often more expensive than buying the paperback.

A lot of these Linux books are actually open-source books! I have "Samba 3 By Example" to help me set up Samba Domain Controllers for Windows networks. The book itself is open source, and you can read it direct off the net in HTML, download the PDF, or buy the book. Profits from the book go back to the Samba guys (and the FSF), so I bought the book. :)

I can't speak for the Ubuntu book above, but generally if there's a PDF version, it often freely distributable. Can you confirm/deny Dazrae?

@lien_Zed
7th June 2007, 01:39 PM
I can't speak for the Ubuntu book above, but generally if there's a PDF version, it often freely distributable. Can you confirm/deny Dazrae?

the pdf books i have are freely distributable if i put them on something like www.bigupload.com ;)

but..the works are all copywritten with isbn numbers what what have you...

and they must be ...

cos i manged to copy it right from the net and it works fine to me!:lol