PDA

View Full Version : GTB Centigrade 37 Coming

ctucker
22nd February 2014, 09:48 PM
Hello all,

I have just purchased a Gottlieb Centigrade 37 Pinball.
A bit above the normal going price for one of these but I really liked playing it in the 70's and the chance come around at a good time for me, these things really are what your willing to pay for them I suppose. Its in reasonable condition and site unseen and I am going to restore this one. I have been told its missing parts like the front door but I am working on it. Highly likely its not going either, well I hope it isn't because I like bringing EM's back from the dead.

I'll post some pics and progress reports as the project moves along. I am already gathering parts from the usual suspects like Pinball Rescue for the plastics, Marcos for the manual and diagrams first up front and as needed along the way. Any more parts I need I will try and source locally first otherwise Steve Young, Mr Pinball classifieds and probably eBay here I come.
The cabinet is good nick and graphics faded (wow that's a surprise) and I want to try and restore this also.

I didn't realize how many were made, only 1600 which makes it a little on the rare side but I have seen a played a few many of them years back, I hope it is still just as fun now as it was then. We'll see.

Any other members own one of these Gems?

Regards
Cliff.

JOKERPOKER
22nd February 2014, 09:57 PM
Great old game. Used to play at Luna Park a long long time ago. :)

Sent from somewhere in the void!

Foot
22nd February 2014, 10:50 PM
It's a top game and should have been my first pin but I ummed and arrred over the $400 price tag (yes shoot me now)

illawarra_steelers
23rd February 2014, 05:21 AM
cliff, excellent choice and excellent game.

finished a restore and rebuild on a nice one here last october..so if you need any info or photos ask away

riverinapinball
23rd February 2014, 07:14 AM
A Beautiful looking game. I have one on my wish list.

Rawdon
1st March 2014, 09:13 PM
just got one 2 weeks ago myself paid 900

Foot
1st March 2014, 09:29 PM
just got one 2 weeks ago myself paid 900

Nice pick up! What condition is it in?

Rawdon
1st March 2014, 09:34 PM
It was the one in Queanbeyan on Ebay not as good as the photos showed but it is complete front door will need replacing, it will clean up ok, everything is available might even get another backglass from BGResto.

ctucker
9th March 2014, 10:29 PM
I agree, Awesome game and the coin door is missing on this one and its surround.

The power switch was broken so I wired past that for now, got GI but no start up, or rather got one sort of startup but and no more reset action since.
Several broken wires off lugs and contacts bent out of their armatures. It's rather corroded so I am going to go over most of the relay contacts before this fires up.

Rawdon, can you tell me if BGResto is located here in Aus or overseas? Their web site doesn't really say where they are located but going off the pics they do very great work.

narf_
9th March 2014, 10:34 PM
bgresto is os

EM Addict
14th March 2014, 11:10 AM
It was the one in Queanbeyan on Ebay not as good as the photos showed but it is complete front door will need replacing, it will clean up ok, everything is available might even get another backglass from BGResto.
I bid on this at the last minute, was watching it all week.I had an issue with my phone and I couldn't confirm the bid.I usually bid on my home pc but was out at the time.I wondered if I would have won the thing, I had bid $100 more than the winning bid.
Good pick up anyway, looked like it will be nice machine with a tidy up.

Rawdon
14th March 2014, 11:31 AM
Yeah it is not as good in the flesh as described but will come up nice just more time and $$$$ use sniper on ebay to avoid disappointment learnt that a while ago.
Regards Rawdon

JOKERPOKER
15th March 2014, 05:09 PM
Yeah it is not as good in the flesh as described but will come up nice just more time and $$$$ use sniper on ebay to avoid disappointment learnt that a while ago.
Regards Rawdon

Ha! they all need more dollars lol. Why do we do it to ourselves. ;)

Sent from somewhere in the void!

Railways
15th March 2014, 10:08 PM
Ha! they all need more dollars lol. Why do we do it to ourselves. ;)

Sent from somewhere in the void! Oooh:( A never truer comment has ever been made;) - such is the world of keeping these beautiful beasts alive.

illawarra_steelers
16th March 2014, 05:21 AM
I had an issue with my phone and I couldn't confirm the bid

;)

maaate your phone can't even send sms :laugh:

wayne
27th April 2014, 09:03 PM
I wonder whether this is the C37 that was advertised on ebay Jan 14 and sold late Jan 14 from far northern NSW. I inspected machine which had missing coin door and some water damage arising from a boozy party. I understand it had originally been located 1978-84 in Funland at Coolangatta and bought by the seller in 1995 as 3rd owner. It had not operated since the party problem in 1996. When I inspected the Owner was unaware of how to lift the playfield and when I did there was a rat carcass spanning the score motor. With no surprise the seller commented: "whats the prob-this is a banana plantation!! I have more info on history of this machine if you are interested.

illawarra_steelers
27th April 2014, 09:14 PM
..and when I did there was a rat carcass spanning the score motor

:lol

ctucker
18th May 2014, 12:10 AM
I wonder whether this is the C37 that was advertised on ebay Jan 14 and sold late Jan 14 from far northern NSW. I inspected machine which had missing coin door and some water damage arising from a boozy party. I understand it had originally been located 1978-84 in Funland at Coolangatta and bought by the seller in 1995 as 3rd owner. It had not operated since the party problem in 1996. When I inspected the Owner was unaware of how to lift the playfield and when I did there was a rat carcass spanning the score motor. With no surprise the seller commented: "whats the prob-this is a banana plantation!! I have more info on history of this machine if you are interested.

Yep,
I'm pretty sure it is the one your referring to.
I purchased in Late January located in Duranbah NSW and had no front door and very tired looking.
No rat carcass found in there unless it was removed prior? Aint I lucky!

Moisture or water damage, I can't be sure but found a fair bit of rusty parts in there. The bottom cabinet panel is solid. Other than that, the front wood work is a little sad and lifted and faded.

So far I have got the machine running, at the transformer I found an open circuit on the coil voltage tap, fixed that.
Went over all the head GI and relays, the decadon score units cleaned and rebuilt, also made a new thermometer ribbon and installed-nice.
Went over the playfield, flattened and levelled inserts, replaced plastics, posts, rubber and reconditioned the outhole and ball return mechanism and guide.
Repaired GI lamp holders, fitted LED's. Awesome look now, although its got mylar which I need to remove but its preserved the graphics great.
Went over the bottom panel - All relays, score motor cleaned and checked, re-gapped and cleaned all relay contacts. Made a break switch. Nice.
Got a front door for the period (with jones plug). Got another on the way which is a system 1 i'm going to adapt, almost new and complete.
Ticking like a clock scoring great and looking good now.

Getting to the point now where I need to work on the cabinet and back box graphics, got enough there to reproduce some stencils, the yellow is OK but the magneta is entirely faded and I am torn because there is some high scores written on the side of the back box, shows character which I want to retain.
I'll post some pics shortly.

ctucker
25th May 2014, 02:21 PM
Here's some pics when it arrived and I got it to my place.
Quite a mess, something I was hoping for. Couldn't be happier.

- - - Updated - - -

64627More Pics
The front paint wear is typical and the sides aren't as bashed up as the front.
I am going to leave the cabinet repairs till last.

- - - Updated - - -

On first inspection I knew I had a lot to do thankfully.
I split the repairs up into mini tasks.
First order of business, a coin door.
The door has a jones plug connection not like to system 1 molex arrangement so a call to Mark C was made but at the time he didn't have one with a jones on it.
I luckily got one through forum member Boots god bless the guy. A very basic coin door but something to start with.
The previous owner had jimmied the wiring to fire a game through the switch on the front of the cab so unsoldered all that and plugged the door in.

Second order of business, get this thing powering up.
Out with the trusted multimeter and measured AC line voltage through the cord, input voltage and output to and from the tranny. Hmm nothing getting to the tranny, check the cabinet power switch!
Found the cab switch was mangled badly and didn't operate so I shorted it (I should have taken a photo). C37 came to life.

ctucker
11th October 2014, 09:34 PM
Thought I would post some progress on the C37.
Cabinet front repairs. Coming along slowly.
Made a stencil of the art work. Pretty basic design and easy to replicate even without making stencils. I even deliberately off-set certain parts of the artwork to give the non-exact alignment effect as the factory application of the graphic artwork was not perfectly aligned as you would expect in the day.
Repaired the gaping hole on the left, glued down the peeling ply (I wish I had more photos of this to show) and primed it and painted in Off White. Did the speckle effect which turned out great and repainted the graphics by hand using water based paint. In the stages of clear coating the front with oil based to protect it. In hindsight I wish I had have air brushed it, I have a mate who has all the air brush stuff and should have given it a go. Maybe I'll go this way on the cabinet side graphics, I can always start over and make another stencil and spray. Also repaired the inner cabinet where the hole was and painted in primer and blended to keep a clean look, you can't see the repairs and not over done on the paint.
I matched the yellow sun burst colour spot on comparing the side under the leg but the pink..well I went a little darker, me bad as a purist but it matches the ladies dacks colour on the back glass.
I replaced the cabinet flipper buttons and repaired the under cabinet timber work bracing it up better under the coin box section, these are always bad in these 70's machines.
Removed and cleaned up the PF glass metalwork just under the head and applied new foam strips for the glass.
I also cleaned and renewed the paintwork found on the inside of the cab sides between the glass and the playfield, it had like a nicotine..ish tinge and came up great with Magic Eraser and touched up some minor gouges that happen when the playfield is lifted up. Put new Heavier Duty Leg Plates in as well.

The Brain Board panel is out getting cleaned, adjusted and renewed. She's going to look great.
Here is a photo of the before. when she's done I'll post the after shot. I couldn't not do this knowing a dead rat was once in there.

Fire_Power
12th October 2014, 07:29 AM
Front looks great and I like your work bench :)

ctucker
4th April 2015, 07:21 PM
Just a preview and quick update.
Cleaned and repaired motor board and headbox mechanisms and relays.
Head box repaint is just about finished. Iam am doing this in Blackwater Queensland capitol of coal mining.
New Back Glass arrived from the US.

I'll post some pics shortly.

ctucker
24th April 2015, 09:18 PM
Well,
I have done a lot to the old girl. She's looking much better but is headless until I finish reno's to the head box.
This is the backbox progress.

Did it all by hand. Thought I would give it a go this way. If it didn't turn out any good, then I could use it to produce a template and do a spray job. Could also hit up a mate who may have templates already made anyway.
First, a few cabinet repairs. Mainly repaired the wood that was separating and chipped and bashed in several places. Love my clamps, they come in handy.

I was really concerned about preserving the high scores as written in the side over the years, always a charming feature and tells a story. Top-Top does it again.
I took a lot of photos of the high scores and decided in the end that I could let them go and re-add them later if I wanted.

Next is to clear coat as it dulls the grain and brings out the richness of the colour. I chose a darker than pink colour on purpose because I think it suits it better.

Been working on the brain board too. Cleaned the base wood and renewed and cleaned contacts.
Also added a new 10 Metre power lead. The power point is never where you need it convenient for a pinny. The thing I can't restore is the bottom relay chart and some of the plug diagrams. They were too far gone.

More posts to come.

richard.m
24th April 2015, 10:48 PM
Well I had some writing on my Fathom headbox that wasn't quite as charming as yours, can't quite remember the exact words as it was about 18 years ago when I got it, I think it read either "this is a shit machine" or "I hate this machine" I was quite shocked to see this, didn't worry about retaining that writing. Couldn't disagree more with those comments!

Railways
24th April 2015, 11:15 PM
Bit by bit its coming together. Nice work.:)

ctucker
25th April 2015, 12:55 AM
Here's a few shots of the front and a little of the playfield.

Front of cab has a door now. The playfield needs just a little more work, I am itching to take the mylar off but I know the consequences of trying to do this. I fixed the cupped inserts. Put on new posts, rubber and a new plastic set.
Touched up the faded ball trough cover red. I got the Pinball Rescue decal but decided against using it. Other than the fade, the original was OK, and it cleaned up nicely. I hate it when operators put stickers on these, usually right in the middle. Lucky this one didn't have one.
Ball shooter is NOS.

ctucker
12th May 2015, 09:21 PM
Heres some pics of the repaint on the side of the headbox.
The main thing here was to apply a new coat of white, the graphics arent too important yet. I tried preserving the graphics which on this backbox held up pretty well compared to the white background.
Sand off the falking paint, apply the undercoat twice, apply antique white twice, do the black speckle and re touch the graphics, apply 2 coats of a low sheen clear coat to even things out and protect the paintwork, modern clears also provide UV protection.
Did both sides this way. Originally, the black speckle is covered by the graphics, I note that on an original spray , if you run your finger down the box you can feel the bumpy speckle through the graphics paintwork so keep applying coats until the speckle is hidden.

I got a new C37 and 4 Square backglass from BGResto in the US. Absolutely gorgeous! I haven't lit it up in the C37 yet but have on the 4 Square and its very good. Pics to come!

ctucker
28th May 2015, 10:09 PM
Another Update
Here it is at the moment. I am pleased with my efforts on the white and graphics and still have a little more cleaning to do but I am eager to play the girls. The motor brain board cleaned up really well.
Oh, the cabinet sides. Not sure whether I should use the same method and redo the white then graphics or just touch up the graphics and clear...I havent decided, placed between other pinballs you cant see the sides but I know its not really finished. The front and backbox certainly needed a lift because you see it right away every time.
Notice too that the repro backglass, above the score reels I am getting a little light bleed, I am using warm white LED's, might need to either tone it down using conventional #47 (http://www.aussiearcade.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=47) 's or maybe place leckie tape on the side of the bulb mount, I'm not touching the glass!. Ill try that first.

I want to do something with the legs, either get a new set or chrome the existing ones. These 27" jobs are hard to find new, its easier getting 31" which I have got for 4 Square than C37.

I'll post up pics of the old and new backglasses side by side for comparison when I get back home next week.

Stay Tuned....

pocketscience
29th May 2015, 11:33 AM
Nice work!

Did you end up sorting out the relay labels etc? I've just about finished designing a replacement set for my GTB Surf Champ that I plan to laminate. Happy to share the file with you, but you'd need to know what yours originally looked like of course... I imagine there's a lot of similarity between SC and C37 though.

Drop me a PM if you like.

Did you not consider putting a coat of clear on the motor board timber? I've just done that on mine and it looks the biz! :)

I'm also wondering about the legs on mine - some bright spark decided to paint them black... I might end up just getting a new set from Steve Young - he has the 27"s (#LEG-27CA) for US$13.40/each.

Cheers,

ctucker
30th May 2015, 06:43 PM
I thought about the motor board labels I appreciate your offer, my thoughts are that I was going to ask Rawdon if he could take a photo or photo copy and scan them for me but I havent asked him yet so that wouldn't be too hard to sort.
Clearing the motor board, might do this and I can see how it would bring it up a bit. Do you have any pics of the cleared motor board you did you can share?

Surf Champ, awesome game, I have repaired and restored both a Surfer many years ago and a Surf Champ about 2 years ago, it was great seeing them come back to life. They both went back to their owners, I like seeing their faces after the refresh, its a wow moment for them, they never seem to imagine what it would look like all cleaned up and serviced.

I was needing to get a new GTB Coin Door and strike plate for 4 Square, I might get on to Steve and get the legs too!
I can get my hands on an SC if need be too but too may projects for me to worry about at the moment.

pocketscience
30th May 2015, 11:07 PM

Crappy pics but you get the idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rawdon
1st June 2015, 09:49 PM
I will organize it next weekend when I go to the factory considered done ol mate

and resto is looking good, we have decide not to go to town on ours probably move it on soon

ctucker
12th June 2015, 10:23 PM
I will organize it next weekend when I go to the factory considered done ol mate

and resto is looking good, we have decide not to go to town on ours probably move it on soon

Thanks Rawdon old mate. Sorry to hear your C37's not being up to it.
How's about posting some pics? Mind if we have a look?